Author Topic: The Primary School  (Read 10238 times)

callomon1

The Primary School
« on: August 29, 2002, 02:51:56 pm »
As an alumni of BP school (1965) I was looking at
an old school report and wondered whatever happened to my teachers
Mrs Begbie, Vera Herd and Headmaster Mr Harris!

Anyone ancient enough know the answers?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: The Primary School
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 03:13:06 pm »
Not sure it is the same Mr Harris but both Peter Kingsford's book North Mymms Schools & their Children 1700 - 1964 and Lilian Caras's book, The history of Brookmans Park School mention the first headmaster who was called Mr A. W Harris.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 06:25:14 pm »
I am ancient enough to know part of the answer!

Mr A W Harris was the first headmaster.  Unfortunately he died some while ago.   If I remember correctly, he was ill or had recently died when I attended the 40th birthday celebrations of the school 10 years ago.  I thought he was a great headmaster.

Do not remember Mrs Begbie or Vera Herd.  (I left in '59)

If you look at the photos from this year's Village day there is a picture of Mr Harris (and other Heads) on top of the cake.

Mary

Editor's Note: Below is a small version of the picture of the cake Mary is talking about. Click here for a larger version.
-
« Last Edit: August 29, 2002, 06:41:18 pm by admin »

Offline petrometro

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:01:15 am »
Mr Harris was the head when I was there between 1959 and 1965. Mrs Begbie was my teacher as well although I can't remember what she taught.

Offline Ann

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:57:01 pm »
This is an old thread I know.
However, I thought I would just say that I attended The Primary School between 1954-1958.
Mr Harris was the Headmaster, other teachers I remember were Miss Raine, Mrs Mount,Mr Clifford.
What stands out clearly in my mind was being made to stay in the classroom during break time and learn to spell the word REMEMBER. which was written on the board infront of me.
 I had frustrated the Teacher with my inability to spell. My Dyslexia had not been picked up at that time.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:03 pm »
I remember Mr Harris used to get pupils to spell 'Mississippi' out loud. No idea why that was so popular, but I guess I still remember it!

Tags: