Author Topic: Phone lines lost  (Read 3203 times)

John_fraser

Phone lines lost
« on: August 13, 2002, 11:58:37 am »
A large number of telephones in Brookmans Park have been out of action since Friday. If you are affected you will not receive any compensation unless you report the problem to BT on 0800 800 150. It doesnít matter that they already know about the problem, they only pay compensation from a set number of hours after you report it.

Second warning; If you ask them to divert the line to another number compensation drops to a refund of the daily line rental i.e. 3p per day. You may find this acceptable, but they did not tell me last time, despite the fact I asked and their automated service offered this, but didnít warn about the drop in payment.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh. †Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Phone lines lost
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 08:22:23 pm »
Dear John,

Thanks for letting me know about the lower compensation if the line is diverted, I'd said yes to this option, but I might now change.

Sneaky buggers as ever BT - I did suspect that they might even charge for the phone diversion, but I'll no doubt find out soon enough.

Aidan

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 12:03:22 pm »
When this happened to me I had major issues with the facts that:
1 - BT were using the fact that I had two phone lines to save them money.
2 - I had a right to be told in advance the cost of this option.
3 - They took a long time to fix the fault and only got round to it after I chased them.

When I found out about the reduced repayment, compensation I called them and explained that I had not been told the terms. When they refused the full refund I asked to speak to their boss and so on. Took about three calls but I got the full refund in the end. I also got rid of my second line.

It pays to complain and almost all companies will reject the first complaint out of hand - it gets rid of about 80% of complaints. Keep going and you'll teach companies like BT to play fair.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 08:01:27 pm »
I have spoken to BT's press office and found out some more about the phone problem.  It involves a 320 m stretch of cable under the Great North Road and could take until Friday to fix.  more details
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2002, 11:35:09 am »
Spent 30 minutes on the phone to BT yesterday. They claimed that the engineer would try to fix the line last night - which doesnít appear to agree with what they told Dave, who appears to have spoken to them at the same time I did. They told me that they can only work at night as ďitís on the main road and the police won't let us shut it during the day." I asked why had it taken so long "possibly because we haven't got permission" but they admit that's a "possible" i.e. they donít know and donít want to find out.

This morning I checked the phone and we had a dialling tone, but when I got to work I called home to get a number I forgot to bring with me and the ďout of serviceĒ message is still there.

They also admitted that they do not keep people informed on whatís happening or the cost of the options they give you. Basically a very poor service from a company that has lost its way. We have no choice but to use them for land lines and, given the state of the cable operators, we will have to put up with them having the monopoly for years to come.

Tags: