Author Topic: Brookmans Park Youth Football Club  (Read 20489 times)

Rob

Brookmans Park Youth Football Club
« on: August 10, 2002, 01:26:46 am »
Brookmans Park Youth under 11 football team are looking for new players for the coming season. After a very successful season last year in mini soccer, we are now moving to full 11 a-side and need new players. We play on Saturday mornings and train one evening per week. Players who were after August 1991 are eligible.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Brookmans Park Youth Football Club
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 11:31:37 pm »
Brookmans Park Youth Under-13 team is also looking for players for the new season - and time is running out.  Manager Rick Dyke needs to know if anyone under 13 on September 1 is interested in joining by Friday, August 23 so the forms can be submitted. You can contact Rick on 646515.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 09:13:54 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline steve

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 01:49:10 am »
come on guys there must be some budding football players out there. my lad is in the under 13s. we play with 10 players sometimes, we lose sometimes, we parents get cold and wet sometimes, but the kids
                                 LOVE IT!!!!!!

Give Rick a ring to get a trial. Your kids might love it too.

steve

ps your boy might marry a spice girl when he grows up too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 02:20:18 am »
I wonder why it is that several local youth teams seem to be struggling to find players this year.

I believe the local youth football clubs still insist on the same regieme they used to many years ago -  i.e. the matches and practise sessions are sacresanct, and you may not miss them for any reason. If this is still the case, perhaps more flexibility might be the key to finding more players!

I know the logic behind it - obviously, managers need to ensure on player's fitness and always want to put the best team out that they can, but there must be other solutions?

Also, I do think having read the article in the Welwyn Hatfield Times this week, it does seem to be a bit elitist as well - sort of 'come along and have a trial and see if you are good enough to join our wonderful team'. Perhaps a more open and friendly attitude - 'Come along and have a trial to see how much fun it is' for example would be a better way of recruiting new players.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong on any of the above - it's just my viewpoint and what comes over from what I have seen and heard.

Sincerely Yours,

OL
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Offline steve

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 02:39:24 am »
The idea of the so called trial is see if the kid wants to play with our team and not the normal are you good enough. if you ever fancy coming along to see a game you will most likely notice a lack of elitism owing to the no of goals we let in. but as i was trying to get across the kids enjoy it. my lad as faced that attitude from many teams he had trials with in pbar. thats why he loves playing for brookmans fc. sorry if our approach sounds like we are elitist but we prefer to call it 'helping our kids have fun'

yours steve

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 11:35:00 am »
 I am 17 years old and obviously too old to play for this team, but when I was younger I played for Brookmans Park and theres no question about, there is no elitism at the club. However, what happens if you really want to be a footballer and you aren't given a chance for whatever reason. I love football and would love to become one in the future no matter who I play for. The only problem is the clubs don't give you an oppurtunity to prove yourself unless you play for the best teams or unless you know the right people. To me this is unfair.

Offline steve

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2002, 07:36:35 pm »
mooniemad
try the clubs at old owens sport ground. old owens or elizabeth allen. they have 3 or 4 sides each of varying abilities. goto training at pbar pool and you would get a game. i used to play for both. good fun.

steve

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 09:37:03 pm »
 Hey Steve I currently play for Elizabeth Allen and to be honest I don't feel they are pushing my ability to the fall. However, I have recently taken a step in the right direction as I have been called up for county trials. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 09:38:02 pm by Mooniemad »

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2002, 05:28:11 pm »
The idea of the so called trial is see if the kid wants to play with our team and not the normal are you good enough.

Fantastic Steve - that's great. The trouble is, that's the first time I've seen it on any publicity put like that. To me (and I presume others as well?) if I see an advert asking people to come along for a trial, that means to find out if they are good enough - not if they want to!

Sincerely Yours

OL
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Rick

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 07:54:33 pm »
Brookmans Park under-13s showed immense character to come back from 0-3 down at half time to draw 3-3 with Ware Youth Yellows at Angerlands on Sunday - despite only having 10 players.
It was an excellent team performance to fight back after conceding three early goals and they could easily have gone on to win the match.
Achilleas Orphanides started the come-back with a chip over the keeper. Captain, David Boothby reduced the deficit further with a Beckham style free kick from outside the box and Shen Hargreaves, goal-keeper turned striker, levelled with 10 mins to go.
Also outstanding in midfield was man of the match Callum Graneek.  
Rick Dyke - team manager
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 11:47:46 am by Rick »

Rick

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2002, 11:19:36 am »
Brookmans Park U-13s played in the League cup on Sunday against Waltham Cross, who play in a higher division. The 1st half was even and hard fought with Jonny Driscoll coming close to giving BP the lead after a run and shot from outside the box that skimmed the cross-bar. 0-0 at half-time was a fair reflection of the play.
However Waltham Cross scored within minutes of the re-start and consolidated their lead with 25 mins to go. A tactical switch, moving Shen Hargreaves from goal-keeper to striker failed to pay off but the eventual 0-5 scoreline did not do justice to the effort given by the entire team.
All players can be proud of their performance but particularly so, man of the match, David Boothby who was outstanding and received praise from both opposition and the referee.

Rob

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2002, 11:46:07 pm »
Brookmans Park Youth under 11's hosted the first round of the County Cup against Pin Green from Stevenage. Playing against the wind in the first half, Jonathan McIver broke free on the right to score with only 25 seconds gone. Brookmans Parks defence then held firm against some strong play from Pin Green taking full advantage of the strong wind, with some good performances from keeper Jay Tracy, Grant Fenech and Matthew Chalk. The score remained 1-0 in Parks favour at half time. The second half was totally different with the majority of the match being played in Pin Greens half. Peter O'Connell scored to double Parks advantage and then Conor Cross scored his first goal for the club to make it 3-0. Park continued to press forward and were now playing some good football and just before the end McIver scored his second and Parks fourth to take them through to the next round.

Rick

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2002, 10:50:41 am »
Brookmans Park U-13’s beat Merlin 2-1 on Sunday. In a one-sided first half, BP created numerous chances but were kept at bay by Merlin’s keeper who made a string of fine saves. However, Tom Brewer opened the scoring with a shot through a crowded penalty area and Achilleas Orphanides extended the lead after a strong run by Ben Bailey.
Merlin reduced the deficit near the end but the Brookmans Park defence held firm to ensure the win with man-of-the-match Alex Brackley outstanding in defence.

Rick

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 03:35:10 pm »
At last, a game not cancelled due to the weather!

Brookmans Park U-13’s keeper, Shen Hargreaves, made up for lost time, turning striker on Sunday and scoring 5 as Park beat Welwyn Eagles 8 – 4.

Park withstood some early pressure from Welwyn before Hargreaves broke free from the half-way line to open the scoring. Callum Graneek increased the lead with a coolly taken finish after good work from Chris Boothby. Welwyn responded well though and despite a goal from Chris Burgess, Park's lead at half-time was a slender 3-2.  Welwyn levelled just after half-time but then the pace of both Hargreaves and Chris Burgess tolled, Burgess scoring again and narrowly missing his hat-trick with a shot rebounding off a post. Hargreaves was unstoppable though and only narrowly missed a double hat-trick.
Stand-in keepers Jamie Styles and Achilleas Orphanides played well, and both Joe Vincent on his debut and Noel McElroy were outstanding in defence.

Now the dilema - I wonder how many teams' 1st choice goalkeeper is also their top scorer?

Rick

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2003, 11:06:56 am »
Goalkeeper turned part-time striker, Shen Hargreaves, scored his second hat-trick of the season and took his goal tally to 9 from 7 games as Brookmans Park overcame Ware Lions 4 – 0.

The game was won in midfield where Callum Graneek and Jonny Driscoll were outstanding. As they took control, a number of chances were created but the Lions’ keeper kept Park at bay. However, 10 mins before half-time the pressure finally tolled as a cross from the right was struck on the volley from the edge of the area and the ball thundered into the net for Hargreaves’ first.

Continued pressure in the 2nd half paid dividends as a cross from the right from Chris Burgess was headed in at the far post by Hargreaves, who then completed his hat-trick by outpacing the defence in running onto a through ball and slotting it past the keeper into the corner.

Achilleas Orphanides put in an accomplished performance in goal in the 1st half and then came out on pitch in the 2nd to complete the scoring with Park’s 4th.

A strong team performance by Park with excellent contributions also by the club captain, David Boothby, who returned after long-term injury, Joe Vincent and also Jamie Styles.  

A special mention should also go to the substitutes who waited patiently and then impressed when given their chance. Tom Brewer put in an excellent performance in man-marking Lions' most dangerous player and Callum Horwood showed flair on the right wing creating a number of chances. Alex Brackley put in a solid performance at left back coming on to replace Chris Dyke and Tom Mainwaring was solid in making some strong headed clearances, well directed to team-mates.

Chris Boothby and Ben Bailey also had an excellent game, maintaining their usual high standards.

Team:
Achilleas Orphanides, Joe Vincent, Chris Boothby, David Boothby, Chris Dyke, Ben Bailey, Callum Graneek, Jonny Driscoll, Jaimie Styles, Chris Burgess, Shen Hargreaves.
Subs: Callum Horwood, Tom Brewer, Tom Mainwaring, Alex BracKley.
Scorers: Shen Hargreaves (3) + Achilleas Orphanides.

Rick

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2003, 11:42:21 pm »
Park U13's tested title challengers, Hoddeston United, in a closely fought game but unluckily ended up losing by the odd goal in 5.
Hoddesdon had one striker with pace who caused the Park defence trouble and it was his run and shot that gave Hoddesdon the lead after 5 mins.
However Park struck back and a mesmerising run by Jonny Driscoll resulted in a cross that Tom Brewer fired home to equalise.
Hoddesdon retook the lead from a corner that the Park defence failed to clear but Park immediately struck back with another 'mazey' run by Driscoll, this time finished off by Chris Burgess.
Just before half-time, Hoddesdon regained the lead with a thunderous shot from outside the area that gave Shen Hargreaves no chance.
In a closely fought 2nd half, both sides could have scored but man-of-the-match Jonny Driscoll came closest with a shot from the edge of the box that narrowly missed the far post.
An excellent game that Park were unlucky to lose.

Team:
S. Hargreaves, J. Vincent, D. Boothby, C.Boothby, C. Dyke, B. Bailey, J. Driscoll, T. Brewer, A. Orphanides, J. Styles, C. Burgess.
Subs: A. Brackley, T. Manwaring.
Goals: T. Brewer (1) C. Burgess (1).

Rick

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2003, 11:23:10 pm »
Brookmans Park U-13's played an evenly fought match against undefeated Nazeing Youth, the final score-line of 3-6 flattering Nazeing.
Shen Hargreaves played in yet another new position in the centre of defence and along with Chris Boothby was outstanding. Both full-backs, Joe Vincent and Chris Dyke continued their good form and with Jaimie Styles also playing well in goal, making a number of good saves in very difficult muddy conditions, Park now have various options in what is becoming a stronger looking defence.
Callum Graneek and Jonny Driscoll helped Park take greater control of midfield and David Boothby, playing his first game as a striker, added a control to the attack that threatened to add more than the 3 goals scored.
After scoring 2 early goals, Nazeing were always in front but very well taken goals from David Boothby (2) and Callum Graneek restricted Nazeing's lead at half-time to 4-3.
The 2nd half was equally closely fought and Park had a number of chances that narrowly missed the target. However 2 goals within a couple of minutes mid-way though the half effectively finished Park's brave challenge. Park outplayed Nazeing in most positions but Nazeing's strong strike partnership ultimately made the difference.
All Park's players can be proud of their performance but particularly Man-of-the-Match, Ben Bailey, who ran tirelessly along the right flank, helping cover for the defence and also creating a number of good attacking opportunities.

Team:
J. Styles, C. Dyke, J. Vincent, S. Hargreaves, C. Boothby, B. Bailey, J. Driscoll, C. Graneek, T. Brewer, A. Orphanides, D. Boothby.
Subs: T. Manwaring, N. Antoniades, A. Bancroft.
Scorers: D. Boothby (2) + C. Graneek

Rick

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2003, 08:50:47 pm »
Brookmans Park Under 13's returned to winning form on Sunday with an easy 10-4 win over Welwyn Eagles.
Welwyn had no answer to Shen Hargreaves' pace in attack, generating a number of chances that went begging early on. However Hargreaves opened the scoring after 5 mins and Jamie Styles doubled the lead with a brave header after good work by David Boothby and Ben Bailey. Shen Hargreaves then grabbed his second, David Boothby another 2, and then Hargreaves 2 more to take the half-time score to 7-0.
Park let Eagles back into the game in the 2nd half, too often attempting to dribble past the entire Welwyn team rather than passing the ball. However, David Boothby scored again to complete his hat-trick, Hargreaves scored his fifth with an unstopable shot from outside the area and man-of-the-match Noel McElroy also hit the back of the net. Also outstanding was Joe Vincent who controlled the defence and made a number of runs from deep in his own half that came close to adding to the scoreline.

Team: A. Orphanides, A. Bancroft, C. Dyke, C Boothby, J. Vincent, B. Bailey, N. McElroy, T. Manwaring, J. Styles, S. Hargreaves, D. Boothby.

Scorers: S. Hargreaves (5), D. Boothby (3), J. Styles, N. McElroy. ;D

Rick

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2003, 06:26:25 pm »
Brookmans Park U-13's conjured up a stylish 5-1 win against Merlin on Sunday and were denied a hat-full more by a very impressive goalkeeper. Several chances went begging before David Boothby opened the scoring with a strong run down the right hand side and a shot across the keeper into the far corner. After several more fine saves by the keeper, Jonny Driscoll capped a fine performance in midfield with his first goal for Park and David Boothby finished well for his second and a half-time lead of 3-0.
After keeping a clean sheet in goal in the first half, Chris Burgess came out to play in attack and soon added to the lead with a good finish from inside the area.
Merlin pulled a 'goal' back with the aid of an arm that was missed by the referee but Park soon restored the margin when both David Boothby and Jonny Driscoll ran onto a through ball, Driscoll scoring a deserved second goal ahead of what would have been an equally deserved hat-trick for David Boothby.
A good team performance by Park with a 14 man squad all playing their part. Outstanding in defence were man-of-the-match Chris Boothby, Joe Vincent and Ben Bailey, who managed to get his head to almost every single threatening aerial ball. Callum Graneek also put in a commanding performance in midfield, playing equally well on both the right and left hand sides and creating several of the goals with accurate through passes.

Team: C. Burgess, N Antoniades, B. Bailey, C. Boothby, J. Vincent, T. Brewer, J. Driscoll, A. Orphanides, J. Styles, S. Hargreaves, D. Boothby.

Scorers: D. Boothby (2), J. Driscoll (2) & C. Burgess
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 10:02:53 pm by admin »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2003, 04:53:23 pm »
Just been reading through all the previous postings and the shortage of players at various levels.
My son and 4 of his friends all play for Potters bar Crusaders even though they all live in Brookmans Park and attend the primary school there
They all play at under 9 level and due to the fact they have started here at an early age there is a good chance they will remain with Crusaders until later on.
The point of this is that Cusaders were so inundated with kids who wanted to play at this age that they had to start another team called Crusader Raiders and it is likely they will also stay until later on in their lifes.
So if the Brookmans park club started earlier with under 9's etc as the local primary school would be a great recruiting area they would probably have an abundance of players when they get to under 13'c etc

Rick

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003, 05:19:10 pm »
I agree with the comments made about catching the boys at an earlier age however our problem is not so much with finding boys at the primary school who'd be interested in playing - the problem is in finding Mums or Dads who would be prepared to run the teams. Our Under 11 Manager has been trying to attract interest but so far there's been plenty from the boys but none from the parents.
So, if anyone out there has a child at Brookmans Park Primary who could play in the Under 9's 10's or 11's next season and would like to join the reducing number of BP Youth FC Team Managers, please let us know.

On the subject of player numbers, we managed to increase our squad from 8 at the start of the season to 18 currently, all of whom play on a rotational basis. So there's certainly no shortage of players - just Managers!

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2003, 05:31:33 pm »
hopefully a lot of people will respond to this as being a parent i know the enjoyment it can bring to both the kids and the parents.Both under 9 Crusaders teams had very sucessful seasons with the Crusaders winning the "Phil Nickelson "cup the finals were played at Potters bar Town FC on the 10th May  and they also finshed 2nd in the Super League (Rural-Friendly.co.uk)
And the Crusader Raiders won their Div 1 championship(Rural-Friendly.co.uk) and also on Sunday won the Hatfield Open under 9's Tournament.
There are still a lot of boys who want to join and we can't accomdate them,so if i get any enquiries is there a way i could pass them on to you....i'm talking about keen parents as well as the boys

Rick

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2003, 06:21:11 pm »
it's the keen parents we're really interested in because without them we won't have the teams for the boys to play in. We'd be grateful for any help you can give and we'd be pleased to talk to any parents who'd be interested in finding out a little more about what it involves.
The best way of contacting me is by using rick@Brookmans.com

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2003, 06:44:07 pm »
might be worth your while having a word with someone from the school PTA,i'm sure when they hear there will be someones father who would be up for it.

Rick

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2003, 10:03:43 pm »
SEASON 2003/2004

Brookmans Park Under 14s kicked off the season with a difficult fixture against Hoddesdon Utd, a side that would have been promoted last season if the divisions hadn't been re-structured.

Hoddesdon had a couple of pacey strikers but they were generally well contained by the BP defence and Shen Hargreaves' pace in attack looked to be the more threatening.

However, Hoddesdon took the lead with a shot from distance and the question was how would BP respond. They exerted more pressure which eventually pressurised the Hoddesdon defence into giving away an own goal following a corner. A further corner then gave Jamie Styles the opportunity to shoot home from close range and give BP a 2-1 advantage at half-time.

The deciding moment of the game came early in the 2nd half when Stephen Reynolds, playing in his league debut, controlled a clearance just inside the opposition half and rifled the ball back. The keeper did well to get a hand to the ball but couldn't prevent a candidate for goal of the season.

Hoddesdon didn't know how to respond and Jamie Styles, taking over in goal in the 2nd half, managed to maintain the 3-1 advantage until the closing minutes when a ball that crept in by the post set up an exciting climax.

Hoddesdon couldn't threaten again though and BP ran out worthy 3-2 winners.

An excellent team performance that suggested that the team are ready to fulfill their potential.

Team: A Orphanides, J Vincent, C Smith, C Boothby, S Reynolds, D Boothby, D Webb, C Graneek, B Bailey, J Styles, S Hargeaves
Subs: T Brewer, C Dyke

Result 3-2
Scorers: J Styles, S Reynolds + o.g.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 10:04:56 pm by Rick »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 11:41:02 am »
Well done good start to the season........My sons team Potters Bar Crusaders  U10 played Chase Side and after a tense match came out worthy winners 3-1

Rick

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2003, 07:00:30 pm »
It was always going to be a difficult start to the season. Last week's opponents finished 3rd in 2002/3 and this week's opponents, Nazeing, were the champions.
However, Park carried on where they left off last week and notched a creditable 2-1 win to maintain their 100% record.
The match was evenly balanced with the Nazeing No. 9 posing a constant threat, but likewise Shen Hargreaves whose pace caused the Nazeing defence some difficulties. Ultimately the difference between the teams was the Park defence's ability to nullify most threatening situations and the 5-man midfield's willingness to run and chase, eventually taking charge of the game.
Shen Hargreaves made it 1-0, running onto a through-ball and shooting home from an acute angle. Mid-way through the 2nd half, David Boothby made it 2-0 with a well taken half-volley on the run.
Nazeing scored a late consolation but couldn't threaten again as Park managed to maintain most of the possession and hold out for the win.
There were numerous candidates for man-of-the-match but the award went to Ben Bailey for his commitment, chasing and excellent distribution of the ball.

Team: J. Styles, J.Vincent, C. Dyke, C. Boothby, S. Reynolds, B. Bailey, C. Graneek, D. Boothby (c) J. Driscoll, A. Orphanides, S. Hargreaves.
Sub: D. Webb
Scorers: S. Hargreaves, D. Boothby.

Rick

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2003, 12:08:10 pm »
The U-14’s continued their good start to the season with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Broxbourne Saints, a result which lifted us to 4th in the table with a game in hand.
The Park line-up was depleted through injury (well, Calum and Joe but I reckon they make a difference!) but was still stronger in all departments with David Boothby and Jonny Driscoll controlling the game from the centre of midfield. The defence held firm too with both Chris Smith and Stephen Reynolds outstanding. With both Ben Bailey and Chris Boothby putting in their usual strong performances, this ensured that debutant keeper Daniel Webb was rarely tested.
Most telling though were the tireless chasing and trickery on the ball from Ben Haines, coupled with the speed of Shen Hargreaves in attack. Shen’s pace told twice within a couple of minutes in the first half, breaking clear of the defence on both occasions to finish well and give the Park a 2-0 advantage at half-time. The 2nd half was spent encamped in the Saints’ half and with better luck and finishing, Park would have added more than just another 2 (more shooting practice needed on Wednesday). Nevertheless, Shen Hargreaves completed his hat-trick, narrowly gaining him the man-of-the-match award. Running him close was David Boothby who rounded off an excellent performance with a goal scored direct from a free kick from just outside the box.
All in all, a solid performance but if we're going to challenge for honours this season, we're going to have to take more of the chances offered.

Rick

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2003, 09:19:17 pm »
Tight at the Top

The U14's came so close to breaking Ware Youth's unbeaten start to the season but ended up having to settle for a 2-2 draw.
2nd placed Ware started slightly the stronger and made the most of what was largely an aerial battle in the first half. Nevertheless their opening goal owed a lot to luck as the bounce on a high ball pumped forward deceived the Park's keeper and ballooned into the net. This was closely followed by a goal-mouth scramble that ended with Ware shooting home for a 2-0 lead. However, with Chris Smith in particular putting in a strong performance, the Park defence then held firm until half-time.
The 2nd half was a different story with Park controlling the ball on the floor and reverting to their passing game. Ware couldn't match the effort put in by the Park midfield with Man of the match David Boothby outstanding alongside Jonny Driscoll, Calum Graneek and Joe Vincent.
Park pulled one goal back when Joe Vincent opened his account for Park with a glancing header from a Boothby free-kick. The Ware goal was then repeatedly under pressure and only some good keeping prevented Park equalizing. The pressure eventually told though when a Ware defender sliced an attempted clearance over the keeper's head.
Park then went all out for the winner and only further good keeping prevented a complete 2nd half turnaround.

Team: J.Styles, C.Smith, B.Bailey, S.Reynolds, C.Boothby, J.Vincent, A. Orphanides, D.Boothby, J.Driscoll, B.Haines, S.Hargreaves.
Subs: C.Graneek, T.Brewer, A.Brackley
Score: 2-2
Scorers: J.Vincent, own goal.

Rick

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2003, 05:44:11 pm »
Park march on past Crusaders

Brookmans Park Under 14s showed their strength in depth when despite missing 5 key players due to half term holidays, they still proved far too strong for Potters Bar Crusaders, eventually winning 6-2.

Park held the upper hand from the start with greater possession and territorial advantage but failed to make the pressure tell. However, a mazey run by Ben Haines resulted in him being up-ended inside the area and captain Joe Vincent cooly slotted home the penalty. However Potters Bar weren't yet beaten and when Park failed to clear their lines, Crusaders slotted home to put them back on level terms. Further pressure from Park failed to produce any more goals and the teams were level at 1-1 at half time.

Jamie Styles replaced Achilleas Orphanides in goal in the 2nd half but could do nothing to prevent Crusaders going into a 2-1 lead  with a well taken powerful shot from the edge of the box. However, Park were immediately level again when a run and cross from Ben Haines was converted in front of goal by Achilleas Orphanides.

A period of continued pressure from Park followed and they re-took the lead when Tom Brewer scored with a shot from the edge of the area. Park then sensed that the game was theirs for the taking and thought the result was beyond doubt when Calum Graneek slotted home to make it 4-2.

Neverthelss, Crusaders could have come back into it but for a wonder-save from Jaimie Styles who blocked a power-driver from close range and then closed down the striker from the rebound to force him to shoot over.

It was then left to Ben Haines to finish matters off. He had bemused the Crusaders defence with a number of his runs thoughout the game, making a number of goals in the process. Goal provider turned goal scorer though when a took the ball past several defenders and shot past the keeper. Another run took him past the Crusaders defence again leaving just the keeper to beat but from the tightest of angles. However the shot was inch perfect beating the keeper at his far post.

This was a team performance and all players should take credit for the way in which they woorked hard for eachother. To win so well with so many players absent shows how well the team have progressed.

The defence played well as a unit but all deserve special mention, Ben Bailey for his all round play but particularly in the air (an ability that seems to be rubbing off on the other defenders) Chris Boothby and Stephen Reynold who are showing a great understanding and strength at the centre of defence and Chris Smith at left back who continues to go from strength to strength.

Captain Joe Vincent showed both his versatility and fitness in running the midfield and yet still getting back to support the defence when needed. His vision in releasing other players onto though balls was also telling today, helping in maintaining long periods of pressure. The rest of the midfield also ran themselves almost to exhaustion, with Tom Brewer, Calum Graneek and debutant Dan Bedi all putting in strong performances.

Achilleas and Jaimie both had good halves in goal, rarely looking troubled. They also both had solid performances on pitch, with Achilleas playing well as a target man up-front in the 2nd half.

Last but not least, Ben Haines who was a constant threat with the ball at his feet, making at least a couple of the goals and scoring 2 himself. There were many candidates for man of the match today, but Ben Haines was a more than worthy winner.

Team:
A. Orphanides, B.Bailey, C.Smith, C.Boothby, S.Reynolds, T.Brewer, J.Styles, J.Vincent(c), C. Graneek, D,Bedi, B.Haines.

Score: 6-2

Scorers: B. Haines(2), J.Vincent (pen) A. Orphanides, T. Brewer, C. Graneek.

Tags: