Author Topic: Debris in Field  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Debris in Field
« on: February 02, 2002, 11:08:44 pm »
 ???The family and I were walking along the footpath from Folly Arch down to Little Rye plantation, and in the field next to the 20 acre field (see other discussion thread) we found a large number of brick pieces and pottery sherds, well scattered over the area. The brick pieces are all very bright orange and look like soft reds which have been crushed up, and the majority of the pottery sherds are of hand painted blue on white background.

Anyone know why these should be here in such profusion? Is this the site of a long lost house - not Gubbins, surely? And I don't think it can be anything to do with field drainage as the "moles" run across the field and the tile drains are made of tiles, not bricks. And the field is so sloping that drainage cannot be a problem. Might it have been the site of an early rubbish tip for Brookmans Park?

(There are also some very interesting looking stones in the field, not flints, but look pale and as if made of sandstone - aliens?)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2002, 11:25:57 am by admin »
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline NMLHS

• North Mymms Local History Society informant
Re: Building Debris in Field
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2002, 12:02:06 am »
:)I'll see if I can find any information in the North Mymms Local History Society archives.  We are a bit behind with the marvels of the internet but I will ask around.

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2002, 10:26:50 pm »
I have spoken with the North Mymms Local History Society and they are unable to help.  They suggested that maybe the Gobions Woodland Trust might be able to help.  They are on www.brookmans.com
or Click here
« Last Edit: March 16, 2002, 12:00:45 am by admin »

Offline NMLHS

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2002, 12:16:58 am »
Another contact might be John Fisher at the Royal Veterinary College.  I understand that the field may belong to the Vet College.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2002, 07:58:41 am by admin »

Tags: