Author Topic: Facilities for local youth  (Read 21006 times)

Jehovah.K.O.T.C.

Facilities for local youth
« on: April 23, 2002, 02:43:41 pm »
If anyone has suggestions for improvements and and recreational facilities they would like to see in the village. This is the place to post them. If we keep them 2gether we can decide which ones are best and maybe do something about it.
At the moment they're dotted in different forums I think it would be beneficial to keep them 2gether.

- Jehovah Master of the Sonic Death Monkey.[/glow]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2002, 03:12:08 pm by Jehovah.K.O.T.C. »

G.F_tassajara

Re: Facilities for local youth
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 03:20:42 pm »
Im sure you know what i want anyway, but im gonna tell you again, a cycling course in brookmans park, especialy Gobians particulary would be great ;D. I'd use it all the time and im sure my friends would too.  Im sure there must be other ideas out there too, so come on you lot, join in a pass on your ideas!

Chilly
« Last Edit: April 23, 2002, 03:21:05 pm by G.F_tassajara »

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 08:50:02 pm »
 I feel a good idea would be some basketball hoops and football goals. Also a chillout cafe. Possible an extreme walkin park.

Offline aqueous transmission

• Opinions on some things
  • liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 10:02:18 pm »
i still think we should develop the idea of having an area more geared to teenagers in gobians somewhere, i mean, its a big field, i'm sure the woodland trust wouldn't mind too much it another area was take up with a useful area
« Last Edit: April 23, 2002, 10:03:53 pm by aqueous »
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

G.F_tassajara

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 10:22:33 pm »
In response to moonie's comment i think there both very valid and good ideas, but are extremely flawed.  
Firstly i would like to address the idea of basketball hoops.  They would be of good recreational use yes, but to play basketball a tarmaced surface of of some size is needed, and this would not occur within Gobians, it would affect the environment of the park to much and cause to many problems, so that idea is not going to happen i feel sorry.
And football goals,  this is a great idea i feel, they would be used often and to by all ranges of people.  I will presume that 5 a side goals would be the ones used as they are cheaper and easy to move.  The goals would want to be placed on flat land, and as you know the land is mainly on one lage hill, and the only real strip of land suitable runs close to the playing ground, and im sure parents of small children do not wish to have their children inadvertantly knocked out by wandering footballs::).  And the placement of the goals would be either permanent, with holes dug to position them, or just positioned wherever needed.  I would say that they should be left loose, becuase this makes them easier to move when the field needs a rest from pounding feet.  Either choice poses problems tho, if there semi or fully permanent, vandalism, or just people hanging from them etc, will eventually damage them and could hurt children or anyone using them, and if there loose, then they can be moved and effectively "stolen" of just thrown into an unreachable area.  I speak from experience, as in my old village we had a set of 5 a side goals, they were great there, however the park was not exactly used much and was fully flat and had no risk of problem like vandalism, and if they were broken we all fixed them.  But in an area with more use of the park and more people there these problems could arise.  But, in a total swing around condradicting myself, they could work, if they were looked after and not damaged, and i guess they would be cared for because people would use them so much, so theres 2 sides really, i reckon it should be tryed tho to see what happens and then choices more definete made.      

CHILLY

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2002, 02:23:57 am »
I think there's a local councillors meeting tommorow - I'm going to go along (if I'm allowed... I'll check tomorrow with someone) and find out how to put some of these ideas etc forward. I'll then put another post up here.

However, some of the things that you want are already in the (fairly) local area :  There's a football pitch with goals behind the Youth and Community Centre, another one next to the rec at Welham Green.

There's a bike track behind the Youth and Community Centre, although it does need a bit of work on it. I'm guessing the councillors would probably say that there's no point in duplicating things when they're not used that much at the moment anyway, but I'll see tomorrow..

Cheers,

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Jehovah.K.O.T.C.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 11:56:29 am »
James could u notify us of the outcomes of the council meeting. thanx.

J.k.C

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 12:21:09 pm »
D'oh - replied in the wrong place :)

I replied under the 'kids on the street' thread basically saying what had happened

James

Offline aqueous transmission

• liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 01:54:29 am »
erm, this kinda got really old, really quick, didn't it?

aqueous :P
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2002, 12:32:06 pm »
At the committee meeting last night, I got permission from the North Mymms Youth and Community to go ahead and renovate the BMX track up to a useable standard again.

I'm either going to do this sometime over the weekend of the 25/26th May or sometime over Half Term (June 1-8th) - if anyone is willing to help - either with the physical hard work, or with suggesting ideas for erm.. 'features' for the track, please contact me. Thanks!

James

G.F_tassajara

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2002, 05:48:03 pm »
Thats great news, if you keep us posted on when your gonna renovate the area i and many others im sure would be willing to lend a hand if only for a few hours, this will probably be the case if it is done in half term though, because we have exams over the next couple of weeks.  If its in june ill see if i can help out.  Chilly

scykotik

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2002, 05:06:37 pm »
I know its just me bein lazy (i aint read the previous above) but i just want 2 put my point across, short and sweet.

WE NEED A SKATE PARK

--ScYKo--
« Last Edit: June 23, 2002, 05:16:01 pm by scykotik »

chazz

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2002, 07:07:10 pm »
does any one have any news about renovating the village/gobions towards the teenagers years?

scykotik

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2002, 10:55:23 pm »
i know that they r puttin proposals for a SKATE PARK next week wednesday

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2002, 02:49:35 pm »
 By finding out what the youth enjoy to do. You will possibly be able to make a conclusion and develop some sort of idea on what needs to be developed in the local area. So I have decided to start this topic in the hope of gathering these ideas.

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2002, 09:51:23 pm »
You will possibly be able to make a conclusion and develop some sort of idea on what needs to be developed in the local area.

I'd be interested in knowing exactly who this comment is aimed at. Are all the adults reading this forum suddenly going to drop everything and put large sums of money into what teenagers want? I doubt it somehow!

Just out of interest - what are the 'Youth' prepared to do in order to help pay for facilities for them?

Sincerely Yours,

OL
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2002, 11:40:49 pm »
 The Orange Llama, I can see what u r tryin to say, but no where in the last post did I mention adults. Therefore the word 'you' is aimed at the youth and those able to help the course. For instance on other threads there was someone who wanted ideas, but none come forward. So by opening a topic which is open to all views, I thought we could gather research on what kids like to do. To be honest I know many who aren't interested in a skatepark or bike track therefore they would gain no fun from those ideas. By gaining more ideas people could possibly develop an idea to be put forward which would gain efficient use from everyone. So, please suggest ideas. If you are not a youth why not ask your relatives or some kids you know what they would enjoy. Therefore we would gain a wider view.
Last point, I'm sorry for giving the wrong impression but when you were young you also had to rely on the dependency ratio, as will you when your retired. You will rely on the economically active.

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2002, 12:59:05 am »
Mooniemad

Gotcha - Sorry for misunderstanding what you were asking. I'll get out of the teenagers forum now (I long since don't qualify)

Sincerely yours

OL
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

scykotik

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2002, 09:14:01 pm »
<cough> skate park needed

toothfairy

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 01:24:14 pm »
Why do the youth have to give something in return??  If they are entertained with something outsdoors, they would be away from the computer disease, and be more socially active.  This would then improve the social environment, perhaps lower petty crime and vandalism through boredom, and drinking on the streets.  

If you ask most teenagers now where they like to go outside, they say, to the shops with my mates, or to a pub or club with my mates.  What else is there for them to do?  Invest in all of our futures.  Give them something fun to do.

How about a paintball site? - Outdoors, energetic, fun...

toothfairy

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2003, 01:28:45 pm »
Ha...  See "Kids on the Street" in the youth forum.  Need i say more.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2003, 01:32:42 pm »
Paintball would be an expensive investment. To be honest those who live in the area know what is available to them. So in theory they should be aware that there is limited things for children. Therefore if their child is vandalising and taking part in criminal actvitities then it should be upon their shoulders to take responsibility. To be honest as a teenager I don't think there's a shortage of things to do in the village. Its not like we don't have areas to go play sport, or a station which gives us access to our capital. Kds shouldn't be bored. I just feel they have been nurtured in a poor manner.

toothfairy

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2003, 01:45:54 pm »
Very True.  I was never allowed to stay indoors for long periods, and was always kicked out to do something outdoors.  I never took part in vandalism or anything like that, but always found something else to do.

Skunkman

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 02:47:55 pm »
Pool table in the brookmans, need i say more?

pre1aps

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 06:50:07 am »
getting those annoying kids off the streets in bp would be a great idea.  most of them hang around on their little bikes causing trouble for everyone else.  give them a nice caged area with plenty of supervision (police preferably).

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18:27 am »
Great idea! Are you willing to help set it up and supervise it..... ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 11:07:05 am »
Hi pre1aps, welcome to the forum.

getting those annoying kids off the streets in bp would be a great idea.  most of them hang around on their little bikes causing trouble for everyone else.  give them a nice caged area with plenty of supervision (police preferably).

Are the 'annoying kids' you refer to simply making a lot of noise and having fun (as many teenagers do), or are they breaking the law? You say most of them hang around on their bikes 'causing trouble for everyone'. Is that really true? I am not sure we can lump all youngster using bikes as trouble makers can we? I've noticed many local teenagers handling their bikes responsibly.

For your interest, there are two more threads on the site dealing with this specific issue. One is Youth on the Streets, and the other is
Boy Racers.
The boy racers thread has touched on similar issues.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Max

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 10:42:28 pm »
Back when I was young there were goalposts in Gobions (at one time I think there were actually two sets), which were put to very good use by myself and friends. What genius had the bright idea to remove them? Why on earth would anyone do such a thing? Did someone look at them and think "Hmmmm, far too many recreational activities available to young people in this village. Better get rid of some of them!"

There used to be a Brookmans Park football team playing in one of the local Sunday leagues too. What happened to that?

As for the annoying kids, has anyone considered that they might get fed up with all the annoying adults continuously grumbling about kids? To any young people reading this, be assured it is just jealousy! Some of us old timers apparently cannot bear the feelings of loss and regret brought on by seeing young people enjoying themselves!  I have never been annoyed or harmed by any kids in the village, and neither has my old mum who still lives there. What on earth are young people in Brookmans Park supposed to do? Where do kids anywhere hang out before they are earning enough money for pubs, clubs and restaurants?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 06:21:57 am »
There used to be a Brookmans Park football team playing in one of the local Sunday leagues too. What happened to that?

There are still a couple of local teams playing in the Mid Herts Rural Minors League click here for details (although this page will soon be updated when the 2005/6 season's fixtures are published).
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Max

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
That's good to know, but if there are no goal posts any more at Gobions, where do they play?

Tags: