Author Topic: London explosions  (Read 7421 times)

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
London explosions
« on: July 07, 2005, 11:46:44 am »
My thoughts to everyone with relatives and friends who travel into London. I hope they all come home safely.

supersonic

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
Re: London explosions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 12:48:34 pm »
I'm in the City now.

Getting home is going to be interesting - Moorgate and Kings X are shut.  No tubes and no buses.

I might try Blackfriars so I can get to Radlett.

Ho hum.

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 01:31:47 pm »
According to WAGN the trains are fine see here

They do have some more useful stuff here

THE FOLLOWING SERVICE IS BEING PUT INTO OPERATION. INNER SERVICES HALF HOURLY FROM FINSBURY PARK AT XX.00 AND XX.30 TO WELWYN GARDEN CITY AND AT XX.15 AND XX.45 TO HERTFORD NORTH . SERVICES TO AND FROM PETERBOROUGH AND CAMBRIDGE TERMINATING AT WELWYN GARDEN CITY LEAVING WELWYN GDN CITY AT XX.00 AND 00.30 FOR CAMBRIDGE AND XX.15 AND XX.45 FOR PETERBOROUGH. SERVICES LEAVE PETERBOROUGH AT XX.15 AND XX.45 AND LEAVE CAMBRIDGE AT XX.00 AND XX.30. PASSENGERS FOR MELDRETH, SHEPRETH AND FOXTON JOIN A BUS AT ROYSTON. SERVICES TO KINGS LYNN START FROM CAMBRIDGE. ALL TRAINS STOPPING AT ALL STATIONS.

It's a very long walk to Finsbury Park from here. I've not decided what to do yet, but compared to what happened to some commuters today I'm not feeling too badly off.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:53:29 pm »
John - you're quite right.  We're the lucky ones.

It appears that Thameslink aren't running either.

I'm legging it to Finsbury Park about now.  It's roughly 5 miles from here (Upper Thames Street) I reckon.  Let's hope they keep the trains going until I get there.

No surrender to the cowardly terrorist scum.

Toodle pip.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 01:56:36 pm »
I don't know whether Thameslink trains will be running through Kings X - I thought that due to the Eurostar terminus, you have to change near Kings X and walk, which won't be possible since the area is apparently totally sealed off.

I too am pondering a very long walk to FP...

I hope everyone who get the train in the morning from BP area is OK.

time to get my walking legs on...
Aidan

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 03:05:30 pm »
Suprise suprise, its an islamic terrorist group again who killed people today, how many more lives are they going to take!

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 03:31:10 pm »
If you are making the journey home can you phone ahead and get someone to post here the best route to take or to avoid. It could save someone else a lot of trouble.

Offline Blue Friday

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 04:22:39 pm »
Latest info I have from someone at Farringdon:-

Trains are going north from Farringdon every 15 minutes.

Trains from Blackfriars are going south only.

Hope this helps.

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 04:23:41 pm »
apparently Liverpool Street Station is open again

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 07:03:37 pm »
If you are still trying to get home I would avoid Finsbury Park station - this was the queue outside it at 6pm:

Instead you may want to spend 15 mins walking to Harringey.

London underground are now reporting a 'limited service on some lines' for tomorrow morning.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 07:56:41 pm »
Mobile phones seem to be subject to still be intermittent failure as some of the service has been handed over to the emergency services. We drove past Finsbury Park at about that time but were unable to call anyone. I think the number of people trying to phone took up all the remaining bandwidth.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 09:25:34 pm »
WAGN customer services are advising that they hope to run a normal timetable for services to Kings Cross and Moorgate tomorrow (Friday) morning.

More information will be available on their website - www.wagn.co.uk

Alternatively, their customer services department will be open from 6am tomorrow morning for any travel queries - their telephone number is 08457 818 919 option 2.

James
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 09:47:42 pm by James Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Buster

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 08:37:22 am »
Services do appear to be working - I got my normal rain at BP and it even went into Moorgate this morning.  I'm not sure about the tube but people were heading towards the Northern line at Moorgate.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 11:28:04 am »
Hertfordshire Constabulary has sent the following information to all news organisations in the area, including this site.

POLICE URGE HERTS RESIDENTS TO REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO THE ANTI-TERRORIST HOTLINE 0800 789 321
By Corporate Communication Dept

HERTFORDSHIRE CONSTABULARY is re-iterate its previous appeals for the public to be vigilant and report any suspicious incidents immediately.

If anyone sees anything suspicious, dial 999 immediately. If anyone has information about suspicious people or activities which could be linked to terrorism they should ring the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 12:46:12 pm »
The two-minute silence in London was amazing. Hundreds left their offices and stood in silence around the Aldwych and Strand (where I was). Buses, taxis and cars stopped where they were. The whole city seemed to stop. It was a profound experience.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:55:38 pm »
Hertfordshire Constabulary has just mailed the following notice to all news organisations in the county asking editors to consider publishing it in print and online.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 04:01:03 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 03:10:06 pm »
For those waiting for London commuters to return home tonight, it might take us some time. According to BBC News Online, "A number of Tube stations have been evacuated and lines closed after three blasts in what Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair says is a serious incident. Sir Ian appealed to Londoners to stay where they were and said the transport system was effectively being shut down."

Click here for BBC News Online updates

:-\

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 04:56:49 pm »
This is getting boring now.

As Moorgate is closed (no suprise there), I'm getting the 17 bus to Kings X.  Except I've just heard that something's happened at St Pauls, which is on the route.

Blinking Heck. 

I'm going anyway.  When the going gets tough, the tough get down the pub.

Cheers.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 04:59:48 pm »
Which pub, I'll join you.

John_fraser

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 05:03:14 pm »
Moorgate is now open again :)

But which pub? I feel like a pint.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 05:06:53 pm »
Have sent you and ADM internal messages with my mobile number.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 10:11:07 am »
Note: An email news release from Hertfordshire Constabulary sent to all news outlets in the county, reproduced in full below.

July 26, 2005
CONSTABULARY APPEALS FOR CALM AND VIGILANCE IN AFTERMATH OF TERROR ATTACKS IN LONDON
By Corporate Communication Dept

FOLLOWING the recent terrorist activities in London, Hertfordshire Constabulary is sending out a message to its communities to be vigilant and to act in a mature and sensible manner as they go about their lives.

Suspicious people and packages

Hertfordshire Constabulary is issuing the following guidance to members of the public:

• Look after your belongings. Keep bags with you at all times and do not leave them unattended.
  • If you see anything suspicious dial 999 immediately. It is important that you explain to police exactly what you have seen and why you think it is suspicious or unusual. Understandably calls to police have increased in recent weeks and police need all the information you can give them to help them respond in the most appropriate way.
  • If you have information about suspicious people or activity that could be linked to terrorism call the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.

Hoax calls

The Constabulary has received a number of hoax calls in the aftermath of the London attacks. As all reports of suspicious activity are taken extremely seriously this irresponsible and dangerous behaviour could detract police resources away from genuine incidents. Anyone found to be making hoax calls can expect to be arrested and prosecuted. The Constabulary has previously secured convictions following hoax calls and will continue to actively pursue those responsible.

Reassurance for all of our communities

It is important to remember that the terrorist attacks in London were the work of individuals and communities should not be victimised or attacked as a result. Hertfordshire Constabulary will not tolerate any hate crimes committed against people and property and perpetrators of this type of crime can expect robust police action to address their criminality.

Assistant Chief Constable Simon Parr said: “The vast majority of people have responded to the terrible events in London sensibly and proportionately. We have however, seen a slight increase in reports of crimes against minority groups, which will not be tolerated and we have already made a number of arrests as a result. The attacks in London were against us all and we must stand united in our resolve to carry on with our lives whilst being vigilant and reporting any suspicious activity to the police.”

If anyone has any concerns or feels that they are being victimised then they should contact their local Hate Crime Officers on 0845 33 00 222.

/news release ends.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 09:32:35 am »
Very high police presence this morning.  Even two coppers at BP station (out of their car as well!).

Old Street and Bank had a very visible presence also.  Apparently other suburban stations were simliar.

Well it is Thursday I suppose.

Be lucky.

Tags: