Author Topic: Hunting with hounds  (Read 14198 times)

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Hunting with hounds
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2002, 12:33:53 pm »
 Why couldn't the government give counties their own individual restriction on the matter? For instance, allow hunting in a particular county, but not all. Then if the other counties which are not allowing hunting, help build the species numbers to stop them becoming extinct. Then in the future the restrictions could change. So, that the laws swap from county to county. Therefore the county which allowed hunting last year can then rebuild its numbers. Please respond. Open to any views, bad or good.

Ed

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2002, 02:47:50 pm »
I don't believe hunting to be particularly cruel as long as the rules of the hunt are obeyed - animals killing other animals is nature. Poisoning is a far more cruel way of killing animals and tends to be indescriminate. The poison will also work its way up the food chain.

I'm not particularly pro hunting and I personally think that shooting is the least cruel way of controlling pests. I think there are a hundreds of far more imporatant issues than Labour's obsessive march against the "forces of conservatism"!

I think Mooniemad's idea is quite good, but I still think most of the arguments for and against hunting are "political" and that not that many people really care about the actual foxes! :P :'(

John_fraser

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2002, 06:03:38 pm »
I don't believe hunting to be particularly cruel as long as the rules of the hunt are obeyed

I for one would be most interested in hearing you expand on this argument. How do the “rules” stop it being cruel?

I personally think that shooting is the least cruel way of controlling pests.

If shooting is less cruel, then it should be used.

I think there are a hundreds of far more imporatant issues than Labour's obsessive march against the "forces of conservatism"!

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I have absolutely no time for the current government and I resent the implication that my objection to hunting makes me a supporter of theirs. Indecently one of my many objections to Blair is that he is gutless, unable to do anything that he thinks will cause him to lose votes. That’s why, after five years and two manifesto promises we won’t get the ban.

There may be many more important issues than hunting - global warming, child prostitution or racial violence - but they are not waiting in behind this one. There is no queue of justice with each wrong having to be righted in strict turn.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2002, 12:19:04 pm »
I thought the whole point of evolution was to evolve, so why the need to go backwards and hunt. I really can't see that chasing a fox until its exhausted then letting a pack of well fed hounds rip it to pieces can be classed as having evolved. After all we are supposed to be the inteligent species, surely we can learn to feed ourselves without unneccessary killing or in this case slaughter. As for killing deers that seems, to me, no different than killing cows and sheep but you dont see the farmer chasing his cows or sheep with a pack of dogs, so why the need with deers.
As you can guess I am totaly apposed to hunting no matter who is in government and the sooner it is stopped the better I shall like it.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2003, 03:49:36 pm »
Well it seems like the ban on hunting with hounds may be a step closer. Of "course" it was more to do with this old chestnut being resurected to cover up other things that are occuring internationally at the moment.
Its a pity that the EU cannot do something about halall meat and bullfighting in spain, although I believe there will now be a ban on juvenilies watching the spectacle.
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2003, 11:59:10 am »
Am I missing something? What has the EU got to do with this?

Having lit the blue touch paper, John steps back to a safe distance[/color]

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2003, 12:47:00 pm »
It is all seeing, all doing, all directing,all controling, thats what...................

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2005, 09:08:15 am »
Hertfordshire police have issued a warning that anyone found hunting foxes with dogs will be breaking the law and could face prosecution. The new legislation, The Hunting Act 2004, became law on 18 February, 2005. Officers say their aim is to ensure public order is maintained and no illegal activities take place.  Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2005, 11:56:05 am »
And that anyone found causing an afray, burglarising or commiting a real crime will be given a warning or a free holiday.
regards,
jet

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005, 03:35:58 pm »
If numbers of foxes do need to be controlled, then a qualified shotsman should be used.  I am not pro-hunt, but I do realise that agricultural pests need to  be kept in hand ie. rabbits etc.

However, I cannot understand hare coursing.  Hare's are fairly rare in the UK, but people bring along their picnic to watch a couple of dogs chase, then rip apart a hare at which point they all cheer.

So I would say that i am not against humane control of animals, but take out the social jollies that go with it.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2005, 05:00:58 pm »
Hare coursing in England is usually carried out in such a way that the release time of the dogs  allows the hare to escape.
The winner is based on the dog out front over a distance.
Sometimes hares are shot when out of dog range ( not easy when moving.)
In Ireland it is a different matter, enough said.
Anything allowing one animal to kill another animal is disgusting in the extreme.
Recently the " illegal" fox hunts have resulted in over 200 foxes being shot before the dogs got them.
Again I cannot imagine that it was possible to have a clean kill with the "target" moving.
Fox control with rifles is usually carried out from a concealed position on a static target.
The trend will be for foxes to be cruelly wounded rather than torn to bits.
All in all a sad carry on for so called civilised humans to be associated with.
And another B*****s muddle curtousy of the Gov.
regards,
jet

Tags: