Author Topic: Pop up blockers  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Pop up blockers
« on: June 24, 2005, 07:49:00 pm »
Do any of our IT experts have any advice on what are the best pop-up blockers? I have just installed Norton on a new PC and have Grisoft on my laptop. Both seem to work. I've just bought a Belkin notebook wireless card with free Stopzilla pop up blocking software, but I probably don't need that too.

Any suggestions as to what is best.

Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

Re: Pop up blockers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 11:16:30 pm »
Are they causing an issue? All post SP2 browsers have pop up blockers built so you shouldn't get too many.

I don't know of any issue with using multiple blockers but Stopzilla has additional functionality, including Anti-spy. Not sure how good it is.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 07:48:07 am »
Thanks John, so I probably don't need to load the Stopzilla that came with the Belkin wireless card then. It says it is free for six months, but I would have to pay after that. I use Mozilla Firefox on my PCs and laptops and that does the trick for me.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:06:51 pm »
not being a techie, there are probably better out there, but I just use the Google one - works OK apart from those little buggers that hide behind the open window.

sneeky little buggers.

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:28:19 pm »
I think grisoft's AVG is better than norton, I have seen some viruses that target norton. As for popup blocking you can get that in the browser or some firewalls perform that task. For IE you can toggle it on and off and set it for different websites.

Tags: