Author Topic: Youth on the street  (Read 76280 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Kids on the street!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2002, 07:40:30 pm »
Mooniemad, I don't think any one has a problem with kids walking on the street!! Its the hanging around, and the few that are causing trouble. I was insulted the other day whilst arriving home, and I was with my 9 year old son. I won't repeat the abusive language, but it was upsetting for me and embarrasing as I was with my son. I am sure a lot of this is down to Boredom because there is nothing else to do............that is what we are trying to find a solution to...........

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2002, 11:16:11 pm »
Im 17 and since I lived in Brookmans Park, I have complained that there is nothing to do. The only thing that we have is a Park and woods at gobions. Cant we have a skate park with flood lights at gobions so we have something to do during the day and evenings. If you want to do something in the evenings then you have to out of brookmans park to places like potters bar or london. There is only 1 pub and its diffiucult to get into unlike pubs outside are easy to get into. There is loads of space at gobions so why cant we have something there. If anyone else has any ideas then let me know and we can get something done.

Offline aqueous transmission

• Opinions on some things
  • liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2002, 10:16:31 pm »
olyriko, i don't think it would be at all possible to put floodlights in gobians, as that would kinda annoy everyone nearby, and disturbe the wildlife and anglers. it shouldn't be turned into an activity centre, just a few odds and ends here and there that would keep us occupied...

aqueous :P
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2002, 01:34:02 am »
Just as a bit of an update on what I said I'd do:

I'm still waiting to here back from the Parish Councillor I spoke to about what happened at last week's meeting when facilities for youth was mentioned. I'll try and see her in the next couple of days.

I have spoken to someone on the committee of the North Mymms Youth Club about the possiblility of getting the BMX bike track there back up to a useable standard - there's a meeting next week that I'm going to attend to try and get permission of the committee to do that - I have got a team of volunteers who are prepared to help and do the work, just need to sort out the final details. Watch this space.

Hopefully out of all of these meetings will come some sort of results....

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2002, 05:15:12 pm »
 When I think about it what is the difference between adults on the street and kids???????
« Last Edit: May 03, 2002, 05:16:36 pm by Mooniemad »

Astra

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2002, 08:06:56 pm »
Hi Mooniemad

I think the difference between adults and kids on the street is that the majority of adults (and I do not mean all adults) generally do not attract attention to themselves and thereby go unnoticed.  A minority of kids (and I dont mean all) tend to out shout and out scream each other and this attitude draws attention to them.  The problem is that this form of nuisance spoils it for the rest of the kids who do not make excessive noise and are not unpleasant.  Most adults will look at a group of kids and think 'trouble'.  It is a case of a few spoilng it for all.

I have always found that you get more response from annoying kids by being polite to them and asking them to stop.  Sometimes they just don't realise that they are being offensive or that they are being a nuisance.  Adults losing their tempers only causes friction.  I am not too old to remember how I used to feel if someone had a go at me.  I would dig my heels in and refuse to budge.  But if an adult was polite and asked me to move away or stop generally I would apologise and do as they asked.

I hope that this has been of some help to you.
Adults were kids once.

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2002, 08:24:31 pm »
Astra, I agree completely with what you say. Just the other day I was behind some youngsters in a queue, who were swearing like troupers........I just tapped one on the shoulder and said, excuse me, I have my children with me would they mind being a little more careful with their choice of language.........I was truely amazed by the response, I thought for a minute I might get a whack, but instead he, and his mates all said sorry to me, and one of them turned to my kids and said....."your mums right mate, you shouldn't swear, my mum would kill me if she heard me!"

As we have said before in most cases, if you treat people with respect, they usually respect you back.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2002, 09:30:26 pm »
 Yeah I can understand what your sayin but like you said it only takes a few to ruin it.  

wilks02

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2002, 09:57:22 pm »
bmx track- good if you bmx
skatepark- good if you bmx, rolerblade, skateboard

hence build a skate park.

iluvboys

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2002, 11:19:15 pm »
hey yeh a skate pk seems like a good idea!!!!!!!ppppppppplllllllllzzzzzz do sometin so the teenegers in this village aren't bord!!!!!!!y do u think we smoke and drink (and few of us drugs)we r mega bord!!!i dont approve of da drugs, but we all gotta try new things at some time!!!!!!!i think we shoud do someting ppppplllllzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!make some where 4 us 2 go at nite if we r making noice n trouble!!!!n we DONT ALL GRAFITI!!!!!!!!!some of us r good guys!!!! your rite-da last place we wanna b is at home!!!i hate reading because thats what u do at skool n da weekends r time 4 chillin out wiv ur m8s!!give us somewhere to go and we will!!!!!!! -x-twiggy-x- :-*

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2002, 01:07:37 am »
Twiggy

What are you prepared to do to help get it built then?

James

Astra

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2002, 07:20:04 pm »
x twiggy x

Your posting is almost indecipherable.

Please afford us the courtesy of writing in the english language.  Your stupid writing in abbreviated text does not do you any favours.  Perhaps people would take you more seriously if you wrote properly and learned to spell.

Astra
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 07:20:53 pm by Astra »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2002, 08:01:03 pm »
Sign of the times Astra. Text messaging is the way forward, so shorter is better... For a 'translation' of twiggy's post, see below:

Hey, yeah a skate park seems like a good idea! Please do something so the teenegers in this village aren't bored!

Why do you think we smoke and drink (and few of us drugs) - we are mega bored! I don't approve of the drugs, but we've all got to try new things at some time! I think we should do something please! Make some where for us to go at night if we are making noise and trouble! And we don't all graffiti, so some of us are good guys!

You're right - the last place we want to be is at home! I hate reading because that's what you do at school and the weekends are time for chilling out with your mates! Give us somewhere to go and we will! -x-twiggy-x-

John_fraser

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2002, 08:46:10 pm »
shortmessageformatsssavethewritterstimeatthecostofthereadersIdonteventrytoreadthosemessages.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 08:47:16 pm by John_fraser »

Astra

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2002, 09:01:49 pm »
My previous post also applies to you Mr. Fraser

Astra
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 09:02:11 pm by Astra »

Offline anna

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2002, 09:35:50 pm »
Sorry James..........don't agree, its a very sad sign of the times and don't think it's one that should be accepted. That is fine for text messages, but is this really how we should expect people to start communicating?

I learnt shorthand, very useful in an office, but doesn't mean I write it here and expect you all to understand it.

As John said, at least what I think he said :) If it's too hard to read, dont bother.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 06:48:09 pm by anna »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2002, 06:10:38 pm »
I agree with you Anna, even when I get text messages like this it annoys me.  God help us if it spreads into normal conversations   >:( >:(

Even worse is when people just use the first letter of each word.

These pesky kids better sort this out a.s.a.p...

I can't understand a WTFS   ;D ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2002, 07:32:23 pm »
Love it or loathe it, text messaging is increasingly being used as an accepted form of communication with its own language.  Collins is just one of several publishers to produce a text message dictionary.  There are a few online too.  Obviously the phone companies are keen for more people to use it so both Vodafone  (click here) and AT&T  (click here) have produced dictionaries online and, if you have a PDF reader, you can download a full dictionary at SRT (click here).  Some even suggest text messaging makes people more creative, according to PA's Ananova (click here) and it is being used to help some revise for examinations according to an item on BBC News Online (click here).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 08:34:23 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline anna

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2002, 08:16:18 pm »
Well I still disagree with it, it's just lazy. How much longer does it really take to type a word out, especially with the new phones.

It's not just texting is it. We are becomming lazy talkers as well. Words shortened........mare, instead of nightmare, uey, instead of U-Turn and many others.  

Most other countries are proud of their languague, why can't the brits be proud and use it properly both spoken and written.    Very sad.  I got a thank you letter from my 16year old cousin last week for a birthday gift, and the whole thing was written in text. I wonder if this will be accepted in exams soon as well.

Astra

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2002, 08:53:54 pm »
I agree with Anna.

Using text language may be alright for mobile phones where time is money but at all other times the correct language (and hopefully spelling) should be used.  I find it increasingly annoying when I hear children talk incorrectly because their parents are not teaching them correct grammar, usually because they are unaware of the correct grammar themselves.

The younger generation of children (and I mean children up to the age of about 9 years old) spend so much time watching television that they talk and act like the characters they are watching.  I recall not so long hearing a neughbours children talking like the tellytubbies!!!!  I would be mortified if a child of mine greeted a guest in my house with 'eh-oh'

Something should be done about this now so that our children are capable of not only speaking english but also writing it and understanding it.  If not, there may come a time when adults will be speaking in text and will not be able to understand english.

Astra
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 08:56:00 pm by Astra »

Offline Kingston

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2002, 11:37:08 pm »
I disagree with the latest posts.  At 42 I find using texts a good and quick way to keep in touch with my kids, friends and updates for business.  Sometimes word are typed in full, other times shortened words are used.  Surely in this media it is getting the message across that is important not grammar and spelling.  That is for letters and more formal communication.
Keep txtg!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2002, 12:42:07 am »
I think it does depend a bit on the time and the place Astra. When I'm teaching at school, I expect (and get!) answers to questions in proper English, and the writing they do is much the same. Whilst at Scouts, I use myself a lot of modern slang and 'shortened words', and the scouts do likewise. When they're talking to their friends, they do the same.

So what? Is it a problem? I'm sure on the whole they know the proper English, and when circumstances dictate they use it.

James

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2002, 12:56:53 am »
The problem with texting and all forms of abbreviation is that it is very easy NOT to get the point across.
There is enough missinterpretation of grammatically correct speech if even one punctuation mark is missing.
I think that this has been evident on this forum many times when people read what they want to read and not that which is written.
In any form of letter it really comes across as pretty poor show and the reader gets the impression that if the writer cannot be bothered to present the article in an articulate form then the content cannot be worth the trouble of reading.
Grammer was formulated for clarity of interpretation and to enhance the pleasure of the reader, not to make things difficult.
I blame these new fangled teachers ;) and of course the EU ( oh no I have abbreviated) :o
I am astounded how long it took me to get embroiled in this thread 8)
regards,
jet

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2002, 01:06:05 am »
Grammer, Jet, don't you mean grammar  ;)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2002, 02:56:43 am »
just testing sue,
how do you do ;)
regards,
jet

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2002, 09:13:03 pm »
So what are your views on cockney rhyming slang? If I'm right this is/was used alot. To be honest I feel there should be no problem with the use of text slang however, it should only be used when needed. Again I feel the use of the English language when spoken should be correct however people have always changed words in ways to get them to the form they are know.

Offline anna

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2002, 09:25:49 pm »
Very well said Mooniemad, there is nothing wrong with people using text in the right place............which is for mobile phone msg or perhaps a quick note between friends.

Rhyming slang is the same, people do use it, but at the right time and place. Perhaps when talking to friends, or down the pub. But few people would write it down.

Basically it doesn't do you any favours, if you don't speak or write properly, people assume you are not educated. Thus, do not bother listening to what you say or write.    

As I've said, nothing wrong when texting people, but it's not for a forum like this when you are dealing with people of all ages.......some who don't even have a mobile.........(strange but true!) ;)

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2002, 12:59:20 pm »
 Fair point. I agree that there a place and a time for text messaging being used. However, I do not believe it is wrong or lazy to use it.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2003, 07:21:20 pm »
Police are asking parents to make sure their children are not among those causing trouble in Brookmans Park village. In the latest Neighbourhood Watch newsletter, the community police officer warns that if the rate of complaints continues at the current level, serious consideration will be given to using public nuisance legislation.

Click here for story

Click here for the newsletter

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

ace_winwood

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2004, 08:12:23 pm »
I agree with Anna aswell because I started to use the text language quite alot and when I finally got the hang of it I forgot how to spell proper english, it may sound stupid but I did!! ???  It just teaches people the wrong spellings  >:(

Tags: