Author Topic: Youth on the street  (Read 72949 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Youth on the street
« on: April 15, 2002, 04:43:08 pm »
Has anyone else noticed the growing number of youths hanging around on the streets. I tend to walk my dog at night and have noticed large groups of kids just walking up and down Georges Wood Road, I don't know if this affects other areas. On Friday night there were a large group of about 20 kids hanging around at the end of Pine Grove being very loud, two that very drunk and being sick in people gardens. In the end my husband went out with the dog and asked them to be slightly quieter. They were polite and apologised for their drunk friends, but to be honest I feel slightly scared walking down my own road now at night.

On Saturday night, a young student that is staying with us, was walking home from Brookmans Park Station at 11pm. A police car stopped and two very friendly police man offered her a lift home because they said there are a lot of kids "hanging" around and she shouldn't be walking alone!

Have these youths really got nothing better to do, should we be finding somewhere they can go?  Its very sad when you choose to live in a nice village and then end up with large groups of kids hanging around swearing and shouting outside your house.  Has anyone else experienced this yet?

Editor's note: Edited only to change title.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 01:22:18 pm by admin »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
Re: Kids on the street!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 06:55:33 pm »
Hi Anna,

I have noticed many more children (or more accurately, I suppose, 'young adults') hanging around / passing through the village centre.  Since my flat is on the way from the station after school I often have to pass through a group of 5-10 'young adults' hanging around smoking 'out of sight' in the stairway to my flat - the smoking and hanging out I don't mind, since they're always very polite, but I do wish they wouldn't spit all over the floor.  One day I'm going to slip all the way down the steps on my a**e...

It is quite funny really, as I approach my stairs the one or two kids in sight suddenly see me, turn round, and then all I can hear is lots of loud "shh", "someone's coming", "look out" etc, followed by utter silence as I walk through them - like I might not notice they were there if they keep quiet!  As soon as I walk round the corner, a good 5 feet away from them, it's back to business (which girls are available/good-looking/not good-looking, insults about teachers, and the terribly hard time they are getting from their parents (sounds scarily like Kevin and Perry).  Always feel rather more like a 'proper' adult when I recognise these types of things and also recognise that they are firmly in the past...

Isn't it block leave time for GCSE's at the moment?  I seem to remember having a lot more time on my hands at this stage in the year when I was that old too!

I can't believe that Brookmans Park has suddenly become a fashionable and cool place for 'young adults' to hang out!  I used to go into London every weekend when I was younger, it was far easier to find pubs that would serve my friends and I in town.

Aidan

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 06:58:08 pm »
As someone who has walked through some dodgy areas recently ( and for the last 25 years), Peckham, kings X for example. I have never had or seen any trouble. Luck I guess? ???
The "gangs" can be intimidating but are really just hanging around. They will speak if you try and bridge the generation gap. Of course it makes the place look a dump but where do they go?  ???
Shame the parents don't give a **** perhaps they are afraid to or just gratefull for some space themselves.
Drunks are no trouble but if we get a drug problem we had better all watch out. :'(
We have all had a drink and all thrown up, its part of life although not very nice in your front garden. ;)
I find it strange when lads call me mate, when I was younger adults were sir, still I haven't been knighted yet so can't complain   :)
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 07:00:23 pm by jet »

Offline anna

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 07:05:54 pm »
I just think its rather sad, that this is the only way to spend an evening, its not even been that warm! As Aiden said, when you speak to them they are always polite, but I wonder if I was an elderly lady I'd feel so confident walking in the evening. I'm not saying they are bad people, but on mass "young adults" can be a little scary. The police obviously see it as a problem, I've seen the police car going up and down a few times, and I think with the trouble they have had in Potters Bar recently they are a little concerned

I imagine the kids are too young for pubs, and fall between the two stages.......they need a youth club, somewhere they can meet up, perhaps play pool, or darts etc.....

As Aiden said, when I was younger I went to London for a laugh, but then how many parents would let there kids do that these days??

So next item on the virtual residents assoc agenda is .......a place for the Youth of Brookmans Park!!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 07:06:52 pm by anna »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 01:09:22 am »
While returning from my stroll tonight, I came upon two people trying to put out a fire.
Some youngsters had set fire to a Stratons sign in a front garden.
While not major one of the people a motorist had burnt his face slightly from the burning plastic.
I ruined a new pair of gloves pulling the sign out and putting out the grass fire. It didn't need the fire brigade but it could not be left. >:(
A motorist had seen a group of lads going from the location near moffats farm Easterly towards Calder.
Does any one know who they may have been, did your lad come home around 10 pm in that area ???
Its not a lark it is ARSON and was a capital offence not that long ago.
Keep your eyes open.
Quite frankly we need a Sheriff. :'(
regards,
jet

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 03:24:14 am »
There used to be a fine youth club in the area - however, as usual, lack of support from adults was the main reason which led to its demise.

I don't consider the 'youth' in Brookmans Park to be anything like as bad as other local places - having lived in Brookmans Park, Welham Green and Hatfield within the last five years, I can tell you which is the best of the bunch by far!

Today and tomorrow might be particularly bad, as Chancellors have got inset days, so there will be lots of kids without much to do.

I personally think it's a community responsibility - if the community of Brookmans Park does not want groups of youth hanging around the streets, then as a whole the community needs to provide somewhere for them to go or something for them to do - ie the youth club. If we don't, as we don't at the moment, then I don't really see that we really can complain.

I did stop and try to speak to some of the Young People at Welham Green tonight after one of them lobbed some earth and stones at my bike as I passed ::) - from what they said, it really is pure boredom  I believe - so as a community, what are we going to do?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline anna

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 05:01:28 am »
Ok fair point James, so what can we do. Surely when we are talking about Young Youths, its not about what the parents want, its what they want and what time they are willing to put in?  Sure I agree you may need adult supervision, but if the parents think its a cool idea then most certainly the kids wont!!  All they need is a place to meet with things to do, a place to chat, where they are allowed to smoke and do all the things that young youths want to do, but parents won't let them........so they take to the street! They don't want organised activities.......they want a younger version of a pub. (Yes I can still remember how it felt to be that age, you feel like an adult, but no one accepts you as such!)

By the way Jet, we also had a fire just accross the road, a couple of youths had set fire to a sign attached to a lamp post. It was midnight when we got a knock on the door from a passing driver, and we had to rush outside to put it out......which got the dog barking which then of course woke the whole house up.

I'm sure the kids are bored, but even so, this is criminal damage, and more importantly could really hurt someone soon. Fire is not something you just do when your bored is it??? I certainly hope not.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2002, 01:06:48 pm »
I know its not what you all want to hear, however up to sixteen ( I believe) They are their parents responsibility
Full Stop :o
Between 16 & 18 they are in a bit of a "wilderness" dependant on their parents but thinking they know it all? :)
Between 18 & 20 something, quite a few seem to be preparing themselves for a rotten un achieving life :'(
The wise ones get their heads down and get on. Its natural selection, If they achieve they may end up being able to buy a house in B.P.  ;)
Yes I have been there, pi**ed,driving slightly recklessly,
being terrified to ask a girl for a dance ;D etc. its part of growing up ( I'm still growing up) But I never ever caused damage, intimidated or abused anyone, it just wasn't done and thus speaks an 'erbert from tottenham!
So parents take responsibility and don't expect society to do your job for you >:(
regards,
jet

Offline anna

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2002, 01:27:10 pm »
hmm Jet...........I kinda agree......yes they are the parents responsibility, in fact for as long as parents live they always feel responsable for their children. However there comes a certain age where its not cool to do what your parents say, "13 - 18" They are between age groups, they are teenagers but not accepted as adults. THey can not go to pubs, To go to the cinema these days costs over an average weeks pocket money. So where can they go? I'm not saying that parents should pass the buck, but in a village where there isn't much nightlife. perhaps the community need to supply a safe place to go, where the kids can hang out, gossip, smoke etc. I actually find that when you give people some respect and responsibility of their own, they often rise to it and take pride in what they do.  When a child is 16, its not so easy for a parent to insist they stay in all night every night because there is nowhere else to go.

Sir_Les

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2002, 06:55:45 pm »
jet

I saw the sale board this afternoon and thought to my self who it was, the people that came to mind live in Georges Wood around about the middle. What is there to do after school! nothing! thats why you get everything vandalised and damaged not saying thats the reason but that is what the kids do today.(sad i know) The parents dont know what their darling sons and daughters are doing, when they are infact just standing around spitting on the floor and vandalising.  

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2002, 08:43:42 pm »
So what would be your solution then Jet and Sir Les?

There is very little for young people aged 13-18 to do in this village. Hatfield and Potters Bar are really too far away. I like Anna's idea of somewhere safe for young people to go - can't really think where though! It would be great though if there were a few more things for teenagers to do in the village - a basketball net, skateboard ramp or something similar on Gobions would be a good start, mbut then there's the problem that it's pitch black there at night!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2002, 08:57:39 pm »
Dear James,
I did say you wouldn't want to hear it :)
Parental responsibility.
Note in the news just now, at last thugs will be locked up when on bail, they will then get sentanced and let out >:(
I have no sympaphy whatsoever with law breakers or people who cannot obey the basic ten commandments which are a good guide wether you are religious or not.
It starts with setting fire to a sign, next a car or worse a porch with possible fatal consequenses. :'(
I bet scouts very rarely missbehave in a way to cause distress to others?
I am 49 whats around here for me, same as the kids nothing, but I don't cause aggro ( well not intentionly )
regards,
jet
Stocks on the green, a whipping post? ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 08:59:37 pm by jet »

Offline anna

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2002, 10:04:12 pm »
Jet,

You'll probably not thank me for this.......but as you mentioned your age.......you might just find you don't have quite as much energy as these young adults ;D
But seriously for a minute Jet, there is a big difference, whether you personally wish to or not.....you are allowed in a pub, you'd even be able to go to a nightclub, (now there's a picture!). I'm sure you can afford to go to the cinema or go out for a meal, even the theatre if any of them took your fancy!

Most of these Youths are still in education, pocket money for an average teenager these days is I think is between £5 - £10 a week.......(please correct me if I'm wrong, mine are not at that age yet) Now that might sound a lot, but the cinema costs around £5, then there is grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds, not to mention bus and train fares........so how are kids meant to afford to go out more than once every two weeks?  So before you can come back at me and tell me in your day you got a paper round to earn extra money, many parents don't allow their kids extra jobs anymore, one for safety reasons, and secondly because kids get a huge amount of homework these days.  

I am not saying boredom is any excuse for bad behaviour, like starting fires, or spitting etc, but I think that is a small minority of the youths. But boredom does lead to bad behaviour. There must be a spare hall in the area somewhere, that isn't being used in the evenings and could be made good use of. As I've not been in the area long, I don't know all the places, but what about the North Mymms Community hall?  The kids could all cycle there, thus keeping them fit and burning off energy.  James we could even arrange a cycling proficiency test to help them keep safe on the roads!

It bothers me greatly seeing these kids on mass on the streets, I do find large crowds of youths a little intimidating, but then how we can we point the finger if we are not willing to do anything to help.  

Shame there are not "young adults" answering this thread, in this age range who can give their view.

The_Unknown_Studen

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2002, 11:32:45 pm »
Dear Residents of BP, as a teenager myself going to school at chancellors it is plain to see from my point of view and the the rest of the members of the upper school why BP is is such a popular "hang out". As you well know we had inset days on mon and tues this week and hence why the village and sorrounding area was teaming with us on these 2 days.

Firstly, the fact of the matter is that once we get back from school we are so frustrated with being shouted at all day that we do anything to get away from it. However do not put me in the bracket of "rebelling against the system" for this is not the case. I am not for one moment knocking education as it quite obviously serves a perpose. however the way that it is imparted to us lacks excitement.

Secondly, for the most part all teenagers are looked down on by the middle aged section of the population, and are generally seen as "trouble makers". but this is not the case. Adults have such a low oppinnion of us that many teenagers will just give into peer pressure and live down to your expectations.

As a response to the idea of setting up a hall where we could "chill". It would not work unless some serious money was put into it, because if a teenager is given somthing which is ambitious but under funded it will get destroyed. (Take the WAGN trains for example have you noticed that the newer ones get vandalised at a far slower rate than the older ones? this is because we do have respect for good property however if somthing is in a poor condition then it will get vandalised.)

Brookmans Park is also a magnet for teenagers due to the lack of police presence. everyone knows that they can get p*s*ed on a fiver which as stated is about one weeks pocket money and not get caught bye the police. It is not at all difficcult to get served in an off-licence even as young as 14.

As regarding your comment jet im sure that it is a great deal easier for you to do whatever you want to do than it is for any of us. to get from BP to hatfield or potters bar is 10 minutes in a car for you wheras its more like 45 for us on public transport (which is severely over priced).

teenagers are not dangerous they are just misunderstood. and who would you rather bump into a group of drunk teenagers or a group of louts on thier way back from the pub.

Regards, Student X

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2002, 11:34:03 pm »
Dear Anna,
(and I am not having a go okay ;)
Although my personal way of life is by no means anything to judge anyone by, I assure you I have more energy available than most of the youths around here especially if they smoke or drink alchohol before their bodies are fully developed. Athletic types included.
My five miles and 30 minutes weight training every day have given me the heart of a teenager( according to my AME who had to explain the reason for my fitness to the CAA) Although any one including myself can drop down dead at any time :o
I was a fat kid at school and due to my hatred for team sports saw no fun in any form of exercise. However upon leaving the constraints of state education I took up  running. fencing. riding, karate,golf, cycling etc (all on an apprentices wage of £4-16-4d :) I could not afford to drink or go to the pictures but night classes on top of night school were and are available for next to nothing.
If kids have such a lot of homework why are they just hanging about? I think we are talking about different types of youngsters  ???
I can see no reason to excuse bad or criminal behaviour by any one at any time, and its up to all older people to be an example to younger people (of all ages).
Never did a paper round or any form of casual work,
money wasn't that important, most in my area were poor and made their own fun.
If anyone crossed the line at any age they were dealt with appropriatley, if not by the police then by the community.
If one was caught doing wrong the shame was as bad as any punishment. :'( really!
Times have changed I am afraid to say and I think it is dreadfull that people feel frightened :'(
regards,
jet
We are all on the same side I am sure ;)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2002, 11:58:12 pm »
Did the cycling proficiency test for the kids two weeks ago... :)

Never mind the North Mymms Community Hall, there's a perfectly good Youth and Community Centre about 2 minutes down the road from there!

I know not everyone wants organised activities - as far as I know, there would have been nothing wrong with turning up there and not doing anything.

Once again it's down to adults (or lack of them) - even if the North Mymms Community Hall was open, I have a feeling it would need adults there for insurance etc purposes!

Found out earlier tonight that the young people in Welham Green are currently being bussed to Breaks Manor Youth Club in Hatfield two nights a week, so as far as I am aware, North Mymms Youth Club isn't being used at all anymore. Whether that's due to a lack of demand by the young people, or a lack of support by the adults I don't know.

Offline steve

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2002, 01:29:14 am »
hi
I was one of the passers by who tried to put the fire out.
I have burnt my face quite severely. not happy obviously.
I saw 3 youths approx 16 to 18 walking up moffats wearing beige coats mucking about. i made the presumption it was them as it was 10 at night. I drove down moffats 2 mins later to find garden fire.

I have 3 boys in their teens myself (all accounted for at the time by the way!!) whom i find very hard to keep entertained, especially after 3 weeks hols. anyone who knows our house will know it is already a community youth club!!!!!!!!

anyway whoever decided to play with matches for a laugh should pop round to my house over the next few months to see my scars repair. that should be a giggle.

fancied having a rant. >:( >:(
thanks for listening!

Steve

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2002, 01:35:44 am »
Dear Steve,
I am very sad to hear that your face was burn't that bad, should we report the incident to the police?
Oh s*d it I will do anyway.
regards,
jet

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2002, 01:44:41 am »
Dear StudentX,
Don't catagorize me and I won't catagorise you ( excuse spelling?)
Being undesirable has no age limit.
For your information up to the age of 20 I went everywhere by foot or pedal bike, surely any one can do the same ???
I am sorry to hear that you get shouted at in school, this is not right and your teachers must be totally frustrated with the behaviour they come across to  act like this. ???
Only the weak give in to peer pressure, never be afraid to behave correctly difficult as it may be :'(
I wish you well in life its an interesting journey and there are no limits but your own ;)
I hope you write on the site as much as you can :)
regards,
jet

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2002, 02:06:42 am »
All,

Clearly, those who have written on this subject have a lot of emotion. For over 20 years I was one of the youth workers for this area. Sadly, because I was made redundant in my full time profession and subsequent employment was shifts, I had to give up in year 2000. Despite numerous appeals for help on the BP Website, the Chancellors Community Newsletter, the Welwyn Hatfield Times, letters to parents and an article in the St Mary's Church Parish Magazine, nobody came forward. If one takes time to read the youth section of this web site you will find the evidence! Furthermore, I stood up at a meeting last Autumn in the Memorial Hall explaining to the hundreds of people present exactly what the situation was in the Welham Green village, the Centre also serves Brookmans Park. This was supported by the police and the youth service who were also present. Guess what? No response from villagers! Also, it is extremely damaging to say that the Community Centre isn't used. It most certainly is. Yes, the youth service have now withdrawn from the area. They are not the police and they cannot work without support of the community. There is a lot of reasons for this and if people take a genuine interest in helping young people, I or the youth service will explain. True the Centre no longer has a youth club, but that is primarily because nobody has offered to help. The centre is a charity, run by a management committee of volunteers, there have been very few people offering their assistance on that either. Most members are now in their 60's, 70's and yes, even 80's. Isn't it about time a few younger people took an interest in community affairs? Rather than just slagging off young people and bemoaning that there is 'nothing for them to do'. Get your facts straight. Read the existing info on this topic and speak to the youth service. You can always contact me, and I will help explain to anyone the background and assist anyone who wishes to take some proctive action to provide a solution. Sadly, my guess is, nobody will respond with anything constructive. Since  have waited for years so far, I am not holding my breath!
Martin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 11:56:11 pm by ferdie »

Offline anna

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2002, 02:33:11 am »
Firstly, Jet.........You know I was just having a friendly dig! :)

To Student X, well done for posting, how about talking to your mates and see if they can come up with some ideas on things they would want in the area which can help get rid of some of the daily fustrations at school?

To Martin, I am early 30's and don't yet have kids of teenage years, mine are younger. However, if we could get a team of people together to share responsibility I would be willing to try and help the youth, if that is what they want, perhaps Student X could help with that.

Often it is a group of older people who are trying to do good, but younger people see them as out of touch and just do gooders. I do believe we have to put something in to get something back. I also believe that if you treat people with respect........of any age, they do respond.  I am newish to the area so don't know much about past endevours..............but to put it simply, a while ago I started a tread about a Golden Jubilee, most people said that no one would be bothered in BP, however we got a small commitee together, leafleted the area, and I'm sure those involved would agree that we have had a good response. SO perhaps the same action is needed. Not everyone gets a local paper, not everyone reads this website. You need to get through to people with young adults in BP and find out what they want and who will be willing to help.  

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2002, 03:26:30 am »
Dear Anna,
I wasn't sure as you are a little young compared to me,
ho, ho,ho, got  yer  :)
I welcome input from all ages studentX. Lets forget racism, agism, etc. lets just all be friends, :)
Come on lets make B.P. a great place. Us oldies have done it before, we just don't want you to go through what we have gone through.
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 09:25:27 am by admin »

G.F_tassajara

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2002, 02:51:06 pm »
Hi i was shown the forum by a friend and this page concerning the "kids on the streets"

I have read all the posts and feel all the views are valid and very well said.  
I would also like to say to , i think it was James, that the cycling profeciency course sounded like a great idea, i am 16 now and in 6th form.  I did the course many years ago and thought it  awell valued exprerience.  
Also i would like to agree with Jet, well i think it that post :-/  that cycling is also a good alternative to driving if you dont have a license or a car or even if you do!  

I live in hatfield and cycle to my friends house virtually everyweekend without fail, one idea that i would like to put forward would be a use of the Gobiens free area to be put to cyclists use.   There is plenty of space there to make some space for us.  

If a small section of gobians could be set aside to place a build a dirttrack and jump sections ( they are more my style of riding! ;D) it wold be great, i know it is seen as damaging the environment by some but it would be great to have.     Thanks for your time.

Offline anna

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2002, 03:31:55 pm »
Steve, just reading through this forum and read your awful experience. So sorry to hear what you've been through, I hope you are well on the road to recovery.

Well done G.F_tassajara for posting, its good to hear your views, perhaps this can be put to residents association.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2002, 07:50:54 pm by admin »

chazz

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2002, 07:55:40 pm »
The only reason that us children hang around the village is due to the fact that if we go to somewhere like potters bar of Hatfield we have the slight chnace of getting stabbed. unless you havent read the local newspapers it says that teenagers are getting hurt all the time. Therfore it is much more safer for us to hang around the village green.

we do not get up to any troublr becasue we have people eatching us all the tiem. You have to think of this point of view from our point of view.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2002, 08:16:54 pm »
Chazz is right.   I am a bit uneasy on this subject - it is a bit too close to home for this ageing teenager at heart.  The kids are doing exactly what I did when I was their age, viz hang around the village.  We did it, our parents knew where we were and we were safe.  We didn't get into trouble and we didn't do any damage, at least intentionally.   One of my friends accidentally tripped and fell through the window of what is now Jan's Pantry (is it still) - it was a shoe shop in those days.  Luckily she wasn't hurt.   We had a healthy respect for the village policemen as they did for us.  Even as far back as when I was a teenager, some of the towns round and about were not considered particularly safe - probably fairly tame stuff by today's standards, but purple hearts were manufactured in WGC, and I am told easy to get hold of.  Drugs never were my scene so I wouldn't know.   Chancellors didn't exist in those and the teenagers went to secondary schools all round  the county, and quite a few of our friends from Hatfield, WGC, St Albans and such like use to come and hang around with us too - because it was safe they liked it too.    

That said, I wish there was somewhere for the young people to go.  There is nowhere obvious in BP - church halls belong to churches and anything for the youngster should be non denominational.    The community centre in WG is ideal, but they have to get there.   And, of course, wherever they are in a public building they will have to be supervised.  

My thoughts, but I am afraid not much on ideas.

Mary

Offline anna

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2002, 08:18:33 pm »
Chazz,

Thanks for contributing as giving us your view. I fully understand it. Its terrible what is happening in Potters Bar, and I think perhaps local residents in BP are afraid we have the same thing coming. I'm not suggesting for a moment you or your friends would do something like this. But if there is a small group staring fires......what will happen next? THis unfortunatly give you and your friends a bad name.......which is unfair but a fact of life. THe police must be concerned as well, otherwise they would not have driven my foreign student home last week and told her to be careful round here at night because of crowds of kids!

Just out of interest though, don't you get bored just hanging around? Have you got any ideas of things that we could do in BP to make it a better place for the youth? Is a youth club something that would interest you and your friends? Perhaps even having occassional film evenings, like they do in Potters Bar?

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2002, 08:26:57 pm »
After all that has been said in other topics about how little time parents have....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_1937000/1937276.stm

Perhaps if parents spent a little more time with their children, we'd have less fires being lit in Georges Wood Road!
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Offline anna

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2002, 08:52:42 pm »
Sorry, I have disagree with you, we are not talking about small children here. We are talking about teenagers, who want to be independent from their parents.  Don't want time with "mummy and daddy" they want to be out with their mates. Yes you could say if they have good grounding then they won't do this type of thing, but that is sadly untrue. Many kids end up on drugs or in prison who came from very good homes!
Its all peer pressure, no different to when we were younger and had the sneaky smokes or crept in at night later than we were allowed. Yes we knew we would get told off, but hey it was cool to rebel.

Parents can not keep there kids under lock and key. Think for a while how worrying it is for the parents, they have to hope and pray everynight there kids will return safely!

Offline The Orange Llama

• There's only one orange llama....
    • See where I live
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2002, 09:30:53 pm »
Erm.. the article was talking about 12-18 year olds!
The Orange Llama - looking at life from an alternative viewpoint since 1902

Tags: