Author Topic: Jennings/Pollard family - Robert G Jennings  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Jennmi

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Jennings/Pollard family - Robert G Jennings
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:12:30 am »
 Hi,

My ancestors William & Louisa Jennings (nee Pollard, mother Hannah Pollard b Hatfield 1793) lived at Welham Green and then Leggatts Farm in the 2nd half of the 1800s. My great grandfather Robert G Jennings left Leggatts Home Farm for Australia in 1886. The Brookmans Park site provides some excellent reference material thank you.

I would be grateful for any specific information that anyone may know of that provides further background on this line of the Jennings/Pollard family during that period or earlier. I am particularly interested in how Robert Jennings became so well educated. He had perfect  copperplate handwriting skills. These assets were able to be put to good enterprise in the developing colony of Perth Western Australia in the late 1800s into the early 20th century.

I would be interested in any contact that I could correspnd with with relevant knowledge.

Thank you

Graham Jennings
Sydney, Australia

Editor's Note: Edited only to improve formatting of message.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 09:38:21 am by Editor »

Offline Jennmi

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Jennings/Pollard family - Robert G Jennings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:35 am »
I have continued (albeit slowly) to research the Australian life of R.G. Jennings who was born in North Mymms around 1868 and am still curious about his education and experience before leaving Leggatt's Farm for Australia at 17 yrs of age in 1886. He was a full fare paying passenger and proceeded to establish a career in the Perth Colony as a Law Clerk, then Local Government official for local Councils, elected representative, and valuer - in a number of cases he was in the heart of the inauguration of these Councils in the still young Colony. He managed quite an interesting transition from farm labourer's child to expert in local law, council protocols and institutions. He was also involved in the formation of 2 local volunteer fire brigades and the Canning Agricultural & Horticultural Society which endures as a very successful organisation to this day. There are many hints in what he has done to the outlines of society in North Mymms as outlined in Peter Kingsford's excellent works which I have read. Could it be that he worked in somewhere like the Parish Vestry office after leaving Welham Green School and before he left gaining the valuable experience and knowledge he appears to have brought to the Colony? When I get more time I may have to come and have a closer look at the records circa 1885-6. In the meantime any insights are welcome. Thank you, Graham Jennings

Tags: