Author Topic: High hedges  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
High hedges
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:11:46 pm »
High Hedges

Did you know that the local authority now has the power to deal with complaints about high hedges under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act?  According to the Welwyn Hatfield District Council website, the facility is available to everyone, "provided they have exhausted all other avenues for resolving their hedge dispute."

The news release continues:

"Welwyn Hatfield Councilís role is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner but to adjudicate on whether - in the words of the Act - the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property. In doing so, the Council must take account of all relevant factors and must strike a balance between the competing interests of the complainant and hedge owner, as well as the interests of the wider community.

The fee for this service has been set at £350 to be paid by the person making the complaint. The Council can issue a formal notice to the hedge owner which will set out what they must do to the hedge to remedy the problem, and when they must do it by. Failure to carry this out can lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Further information about high hedge matters can be found on the Office of the Deputy Prime Ministerís website at www.odpm.gov.uk/treesandhedges .

All specific enquiries regarding high hedges within the District should be directed to the Landscape & Ecology section of Welwyn Hatfield Council. Tel 01707 357525."

Good job I cut my hedge last week.

:)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: High hedges
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:46:25 pm »
Naughty boy! Thought we weren't meant to be cutting our hedges 'till after the bird nesting season has finished - about August time?

Bet you'll have a few disgruntled feathered friends eying up your car's nice, shiny paintwork..........

;)  Mermaid

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 01:16:33 pm »

Naughty boy! Thought we weren't meant to be cutting our hedges 'till after the bird nesting season has finished - about August time?

Oops, good point, and there was me feeling so proud of myself. I've checked the hedge and there were no nests - but that's no consolation to homeless birds I guess, unless they like a room with a view.

:-\

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 06:38:04 pm »
I have just had to rip out a 100 ft stone wall and hedge that must be over 400 years old to comply with planning regulations to create a clear verge for road safety.
I now have to plant a new hedge 5 ft back from the old position to blend my house back into the countryside.
Each side of my verge is hedge and wall abutting the wall?
4 years ago the rule would have been to leave it intact.
Theres progress for you.
I promise that it will be better than the original in time, say 100 years.
regards,
jet

Tags: