Author Topic: 37 Mymms Drive  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
37 Mymms Drive
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:40:03 pm »
I have been asked to explain the situation of this property.

Permission was granted to demolish and rebuild the house.  It was not built as per the approved plans and the Welwyn Hatfield Council enforcement office is dealing with the situation, following complaints from neighbours.  The owner has been asked to submit a new planning application.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 02:55:29 pm by Editor »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: 37 Mymms Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:53:05 am »
A new planning application has been submitted, as built, and approved by Welwyn Hatfield Council.

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 02:56:10 pm »
Someone once said:

"It seems to me that is it far easier to receive forgiveness than to get permission in the first place!"

WINDSORS

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 06:31:54 pm »
Bob

Do local residents get any right of appeal against that?

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:59:09 pm »
Sorry but once permission has been granted then that is it.

This is the opposite of a refusal in which case the applicant can appeal.  So many people have made appeals across the country that it is now taking about a year for each appeal to be decided upon.  The Planning Inspectorate had a target of three months.

Some councils seem to work on the basis that it is better to refuse permission in the first place and let it go to appeal.  Maybe that is why the appeal system is clogged up.

Welwyn Hatfield say that permission should be granted unless the reasons for refusal will stand up to an appeal inquiry.  This may mean that a few will get approval if the grounds for refusal are more judgemental than absolute.  As examples, over-development of the site or excessive enlargement of the original dwelling can be very judgemental arguments.  I am not saying that either applies in this case, they are simply examples.

I believe that Welwyn Hatfield does look at any retrospective application as if the building had not been built, and decides whether or not it should be approved. 

Going back 10 years, that principle was applied to Folly Lodge, next to Folly Arch which was not built according to the approved plans.  In the end approval was given for a building that was, if memory serves me correctly, about 3 feet taller and wider.  Permission was refused for the glazed panels in the roof and the access through Folly Arch.  Retrospective applications were made for both features and refused, and appeals were also dismissed.  These features had to be removed.

Offline Lectricary

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:53:16 pm »
The building either is, or, has been designed to be easily be converted into flats. The terraces are ideal for barbeques.
Never over estimate a genius. Never underestimate a fool

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 03:04:23 pm »
I had an interesting conversation regarding the excessive height of the new building at 37 Mymms Drive which is much taller that the properties at 35 and 39 Mymms Drive.
I was told that when the architect submitted the drawings to the council, they showed the total height of the building in metres. Apparently, this drawing also showed the present buildings at 35 and 39 Mymms Drive as being higher than they actually are. The planning officer then believed the height of the new building would not be greater than the neighbouring houses. Permission was granted for the building as drawn, as the neighbouring buildings were for illustration only!
I have no reason to disbelieve this account, but readers please bear in mind that this information has not been verified.
Perhaps a member of the planning office could comment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:36:15 pm by WINDSORS »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 09:40:24 pm »
I won't say which one but I went to see the plans of another property being extended as we speak, and the outline of the house on the plot must have been about 50% smaller than it actually was. I told the 'officer' at the council to check this before granting consent, otherwise it was likely to be gross overdevelopment, but I don't think they did.....

ATG

ps But you've got to admit it's quite an interesting building (37 MD that is) even though it sticks out like a sore thumb. I understand it will have a 70' high entrance hall.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 05:51:09 pm »
Drove past it the other day, what an eyesore.
Beyond belief.
You can do anything with money but it does not buy style.
regards,
jet

Offline shads

• Forum Member
37 Mymms Drive
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 11:06:38 am »
Could anyone put my mind at rest regarding the new house that has been erected in Mymms Drive.
My concerns are that with the numerous balconies and the general design of the premises that a possible submission to turn it into flats may follow........
Regarding the general design of this house it seems so different to all the other houses in the road and was wondering how it was permitted not to fit in to the general look of the area.
Maybe Bob Horrocks or anyone else could alleviate my fears.

Deputy editor's note - edited only to change title and merge with existing thread
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:27:25 am by Deputy Editor »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 11:33:02 am »
whoops,didn't realise there was an existing thread.................
After reading thats just hope that any application(if submitted) to convert to flats will be rejected.
As soon as one is given the o.k it will open the flloodgates.....lets hope not

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 03:54:54 pm »
We had the building inspector round a month or so ago to check on our extension, and I mentioned this house to him, and the fact that it looked as though it had been built to convert easily into flats. He said that permission wouldn't be given due to the lack of parking spaces. I hope he's right!

Has anyone heard any more about 42 Brookmans Ave? That appeared to be demolished before permission was granted, and now nothing is happening.(Editor, feel free to move this if you think it better on another thread.)

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 03:59:17 pm »
i do see that the whole of the frontage has been concreted over on 37 Mymms,possibly for parking spaces.................

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 04:02:02 pm »
Oh dear :-(

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 04:48:12 pm »
Spurs Fan asked about 42 Brookmans Ave.

Permission was granted in 2004 to demolish and erect a new house.  A revised application was made in April this year for a modified deisgn and approved on 25 May.

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 05:00:49 pm »
Thanks Bob.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 09:39:05 pm »
Probably over sensitive but I noticed that a Heras fence has been erected across the front garden of the third or fourth house in Georges Wood Road. Not another one for the chop?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 05:14:18 pm »
The house is 8 Georges Wood Road, and it has an interesting planning history!

In 1997 extensions and alterations were approved, and then renewed in 2001.

In 2002 an application was made for an enlargement of the house.  North Mymms Parish Council objected and permission was refused by Welwyn Hatfield Council (WH). 

Later that year another application was made for a similarly sized enlargement but with some changes of detail, like a squaring off the round turret at the front left hand corner of the house.  The Parish Council objected again, but the WH planning file does not contain that objection.  WH officers approved it under their delegated powers.  It is perhaps relevant to note that there has been quite a shortage and turnover of staff in the planning department, so perhaps this was a case that slipped through.  Once approval has been given it cannot be overturned, generally speaking.

In 2004 a new application was made to demolish the house and build a replacement, not dissimilar to the approved design.  The argument was that there was so much work involved in enlarging the house that it made more sense to just pull down the house and start afresh.  Neighbours and the Parish Council objected and both spoke at the WH Planning Committee meeting in January 2005.  However the committee had no option but to give approval since it would result in a very similar house to the previously approved design.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 09:42:12 pm »
Thanks for the information. Down she goes......

Tags: