Author Topic: Is this part of the local wartime defences?  (Read 675 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Is this part of the local wartime defences?
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:58 am »
I see one of the concrete cones that were in the hedgerow along the south side of Bradmore Lane has been bulldozed out of position. Are these part of our important wartime defences
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:16:51 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Is this part of the local wartime defences?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:45 pm »
Quite a few of them there but many crumbling away now.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/features/tanktraps.shtml

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »
Yes, they are WWII tank traps, more here: http://www.brookmans.com/history/features/tanktraps.shtml

They are located on both sides at the top of Bradmore Lane. Unfortunately a farmer has moved two of them into the field gateways to prevent fly tipping. There are still some in situ.

They are part of our heritage and although small (some tank traps are much bigger), I think they symbolise  the desperation of the time that led to their creation.

The field to the west of Brookman Park has been allocated for development in the Local Plan, and as part of the development process Station Road will be reconfigured and the top of Bradmore Lane will be lost - including the heritage tank traps.

No mention of the tank traps has been made by the developers or the Council.

James - Is it possible the Parish Council could put pressure on the farmer to reinstate the traps? The farmland is owned by the RVC.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:59:43 pm »
More WWII defences in North Mymms: http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/dob/ai_r.cfm?REDSQUIDARCHIVES_cbe8db19-facc-401c-9ddc-577bf8c71a7c_0

You can find the following by entering North MIMMS search in the parish section.

Anti-invasion Results - records from 1 to 5
Your query has returned 5 record(s)
Click on the links below to see more detailed results

PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/24) (ID: S0005039), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
In corner of field of Bolton's Park, S of Hawkshead Road, Potters Bar., Condition: Good (Grid ref: TL 2541 0268)

ANTI TANK BLOCK (ID: S0005041), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
In the woods at the corner of Swanley Bar Lane, Potters Bar., Condition: Good (Grid ref: TL 2613 0314)

SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (ID: S0013388), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
On E side of Great North Road just to S of Brookmans Park Transmitting Station., Condition: Good (Grid ref: TL 2594 0467)

ANTI TANK DITCH (ID: S0013464), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
Running from Brookmans Park to Cuffley., Condition: Infilled (Grid ref: TL 2664 0371)

CONE (ID: S0005029), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
Brookmans Park, Condition: Good (Grid ref: TL 2405 0430)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (ID: S0013388), North Mimms, Hertfordshire, England
On E side of Great North Road just to S of Brookmans Park Transmitting Station., Condition: Good (Grid ref: TL 2594 0467)

I wonder if this is a different one from the one I reported to The Defence of Britain Project, but was told I was too late for them to add to their records.  The record above says it's S of the transmitting station and the grid reference is on the Great North Road. Red marker on map below. The one I photographed NE of the transmitting station on the footpath to Grubbs Lane (just above the 'W' in the word Wr Tower) on the map below.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:53 pm »
I wonder if this is a different one from the one I reported to The Defence of Britain Project, but was told I was too late for them to add to their records.  The record above says it's S of the transmitting station and the grid reference is on the Great North Road. Red marker on map below. The one I photographed NE of the transmitting station on the footpath to Grubbs Lane (just above the 'W' in the word Wr Tower) on the map below.

I think it is a different one!

I have previously looked along the verge of the A1000 looking for the one listed, but was unable to locate it.

However, if you look closely, there is one in the east grass verge of the A1000 virtually opposite the most southerly junction with Bell Lane - where the no.126 on your map is.

It is not as well defined as the one on the Grubbs Lane footpath, but it is all there, including the metal spigot.

I suspect this is actually the one listed and they have got the Grid Ref slightly wrong.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:55 pm »
Correction!!

Following some additional information from a local resident I had another search south of the Transmitter Station and located it on the on the east side of the A1000 on the north side of the north entrance to "The Cuttings".

The stainless steel pivot is just visible above the leaves. There are now three known emplacements, each on a corner of the original transmitter site and each near one of the four original masts.

Located so far: south west corner, north west corner and north east corner - no doubt there is one somewhere near the south east corner.

Tags: