Author Topic: Is anyone into foraging?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Is anyone into foraging?
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:09:34 am »
I've recently become interested in finding out what is edible in our hedgerows. We do a lot of local walks and I'd really like to know more about what can be picked and eaten. We've had two meals at foraging restaurants where many of the ingredients have been foraged from the local countryside. Yesterday I bought a book about foraging and it sets out what you can pick and eat. There are many rules about foraging that cover plant sustainability. For example it's illegal to dig certain plants up to eat their roots. But there are many which you can use by picking a few leaves or flowers and serving them in salads or cooking them. Is anyone else interested in foraging, and, if so, have you any seasonal tips to share?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Is anyone into foraging?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:38:55 pm »
A few years ago we found a large puffball mushroom in our garden.   It was about the size of a football and rather than leave it to rot I sliced it, seasoned it and fried it in butter.  It had a slightly nutty flavour and the texture of tofu when cooked. 

They can be found during the autumn but then don't last long.   If you are going to eat one you must cut it through the centre and make sure it completely white and firm.   Any change in colour towards cream, beige or green should never be eaten.

Happy hunting.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »
My mother at 90 years old is still a great forager - elderflowers = wine and jelly, elderberries = wine and jelly, wild rosehips = jelly, blackberries = wine, jam and jelly. All of these from Gobions. I believe that the very young tender leaves of stinging nettles are delicious lightly boiled, and there are a number of wild flowers which add colour, texture and taste to salads.

I will pick up fresh roadkill if not completely flattened - the pheasants are particularly stupid at this time of year about crossing the road! Usually it's because the car in front of me has hit a pheasant, and I stop to see if it's injured and can I help, but it's always dead, sadly.

Offline FelipeDe

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:35 pm »
My mother at 90 years old is still a great forager - elderflowers = wine and jelly, elderberries = wine and jelly, wild rosehips = jelly, blackberries = wine, jam and jelly. All of these from Gobions. I believe that the very young tender leaves of stinging nettles are delicious lightly boiled, and there are a number of wild flowers which add colour, texture and taste to salads.

I will pick up fresh roadkill if not completely flattened - the pheasants are particularly stupid at this time of year about crossing the road! Usually it's because the car in front of me has hit a pheasant, and I stop to see if it's injured and can I help, but it's always dead, sadly.

My Grandmother knew everything about flora and fauna of the region. I remember when I was a kid, she always had herbs she foraged laying around. I wish that knowledge was preserved somehow.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:26:59 pm »
Wild garlic leaves are delicious as a salad with a vinaigrette dressing. You can smell them from some distance in Spring.
Dandelion roots can be boiled like a parsnip. There are sweet chestnuts in Northaw Great Wood now, although they tend to be small and fiddly.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »
Wild garlic leaves chopped in an omelette lend a delicious delicate flavour.

Tags: