Author Topic: Protection against the contactless card scam  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Protection against the contactless card scam
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:20:30 pm »
A note about protection against a contactless payment scam from the local police.

Dear Watch Member,

Most credit and debit cards now have built-in contactless payment technology called RFID. Physical contact with your card is not required to take payment and can be scanned from a few centimetres away by anyone with a RFID scanner.

Fraudsters could scan your card while itís still in your wallet or purse. Mobile phones with a freely available app can be used to wirelessly take your credit card details.

Oyster travel cards use RFID and could suffer from "card clash" which may result in over-payment for the journey.

The OWL Card Minder is a sleeve made from a material that shields your card from being scanned. Simply slide your card inside the Card Minder and put it into your wallet or purse. When you want to use the card just slide it out of the Card Minder.

OWL Card Minder is an ultra-low cost solution to greatly reduce the risk of unauthorised payments being taken from your account.

A pack of three card minders costs £3 and can be purchased here.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Protection against the contactless card scam
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:16 am »
I looked into buying three of these but going to the checkout it says a minimum purchase of £5 (excluding postage).
Seems a bit odd to advertise something they won't actually sell!!
Unless I've got it totally wrong of corse!

I've attached a screenshot of the shopping cart page.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 10:36:15 am »

In an ideal / common sense world the companies issuing customers with these types of cards would provide them free of charge - unless they like to see their customers getting scammed, with extra work for themselves, too.

Also seems like an excellent advertising opportunity for them or anyone else interested.

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline pinchefalise

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »
Why not just contact your card provider and request a non-contactless card? problem solved!

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:34:10 pm »
I'm no technical or financial expert but I wonder if there is an 'opt out' available from contactless payments at all credit card companies.

It may be simple and straightforward for them to disable / decline contactless transactions from an account by changing its permissions centrally or, depending on their systems, it may require a separate production run / new card.

I'm no legal expert either, but it seems to me that there is an inherent security flaw ie. the cards are not of 'merchantable quality'/ not fit for purpose / providers were negligent in security testing (unless the scanning technology that allows criminals to get this information simply by being in close proximity to someone was developed after the cards came out).

Consequently, it may be possible for someone or body, like the Consumers' Association, to launch a test case that will require them to fix the problem - whether that is by issuing protective covers, new cards, or other means.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Tags: