Author Topic: John and Mary Bloxham From the Post Office & Newsagent during the 1960's  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Barry Bloxham

• Opinions on some things
To anyone that remembers my parents John and Mary who owned the post office and newsagents through the 1960's.

Mary passed away last December aged 90 and John passed away this week aged 92, he would have been 93 in December.
They were both keen members of Brookmans Park Golf course and due to the shop they were widely known in the village. I see the shop is now the Village Vet and the post office has moved down a few shops to where I think the toy shop was?

If anyone remembers my sister Jean she didn't go too far away she is in Elstree and both her children one boy and one girl now in their early forties are close-by and she has four grandchildren.

Me well I'm still riding motorcycles as I did with my friends back in the middle late sixties, I joined the Herts Fire Service in 1975 after settling down and have been married for 36 years, after retiring from the brigade we left Watford and now live in a old market town north of Cambridgeshire. If anyone remembers us I hope you are all well.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: John and Mary Bloxham From the Post Office & Newsagent during the 1960's
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:06:40 pm »
Hi Barry,

Are these pictures of your parent's shop? The first two were taken by N. Akers in 1994 and were donated by the former North Mymms Local History Society and digitally enhanced by local historian Mike Allen. The third picture is of a postcard of Bradmore Green from the '80s.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:53 pm »
No same shop but they sold it in 1969, when Forbuoys chain of newsagents took if over as they only have managers in their shops the Post Office would only allow the post office to stay if the shop was owned and the owner lived in the flat above as we did. That's when it moved down to the then toy shop.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:23 pm »
Hi Barry, have you any photos of your parents working in the shop or the outside of the shop at the time they managed it?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:04 pm »
I don't believe that Forbouys took over the shop until the late 70s

Before then it was, I think, Watson and Clark. I seem to remember that it was then sold on to Forbuoys

Also I don't think either Watson or Clark lived above the toyshop where the post office moved to.

Offline Barry Bloxham

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 06:39:16 pm »
Yes my parents sold it to whoever, (can't ask them now)  :-[ and they I believe carried on with the post office but as you say when the shop went to a manager only the post office had to go to a shop where the postmaster would be on the premises.

I haven't got any photos from those days but I'll look for some when we go through my fathers belongings. If I find any I'll scan them and post here.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• Opinions on many things
  • statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 03:59:12 pm »
Hi Barry,  I remember you and Jean and your Mum and Dad well.    Sorry to hear your parents have passed away.   Mine both passed away many years ago.   I live in Welham Green now (having spent 1999-2013 living and working in Abu Dhabi) and my brother lives in Sandy.   Best regards to you and Jean and your families.  Mary

Tags: