Author Topic: Question of legality of rail travel re National Rail suggested route  (Read 1431 times)

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
I'm hoping this is not off-topic - it's about trains from Welham Green.  When I go to National Rail site and ask for times of trains to Finsbury Park, I am sometimes given the option of a train to Hatfield or WGC and a fast one into Finsbury Park.  I'm never sure whether it is legal to do this on a ticket from Welham Green, but if trains are to be less frequent it may sometimes turn out to be the quickest way.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:38:31 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Question of legality of rail travel re National Rail suggested route
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
Hi chicken legs, I've split your question from the rail consultation thread because you raise a different issue. My guess is that your ticket from Welham Green to Finsbury Park won't be valid north of Welham Green. What does it say in the small print? David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 11:56:32 am »
I've done some research now, David.  The journeys direct to Finsbury Park are shown as costing 8.00 whereas the journeys involving a trip to WGC to catch a fast train cost 14.10.  So I guess that answers the question - the normal ticket only covers a journey direct from WG to Finsbury Park.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 01:15:22 pm »
Once when I got a Travelcatd at Brookmans Park, the man in ticket office said there were delays and said I'd be best off going to Hatfield!
Technically I'm not sure you can change to fast trains at Potters Bar but I know lots of people do so not really sure about that.
I feel if trains are cancelled then it should be allowed to travel north and back again if necessary to get back as they aren't providing a proper service.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »
Once when I got a Travelcatd at Brookmans Park, the man in ticket office said there were delays and said I'd be best off going to Hatfield!
Technically I'm not sure you can change to fast trains at Potters Bar but I know lots of people do so not really sure about that.
I feel if trains are cancelled then it should be allowed to travel north and back again if necessary to get back as they aren't providing a proper service.
It really shouldn't be that opaque, should it? When I occasionally travel by train to London from Welham Green, it's always with a background anxiety that I've unknowingly broken some obscure rule. I find you can't ask advice from a ticket machine.

Regarding travelling further north to return, this was exactly the instruction given by the platform staff at Finsbury Park a couple of Saturday afternoons ago, as I'd hurried up there by Underground from Kings Cross to find that the last northbound stopping train for the foreseeable future had departed. We were advised to catch the next semi-fast and then that last stopper on its return trip from WGC. The semi-fast one was the train I'd declined to get on at KX, as its departure at that point was 25 minutes distant!

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Tags: