Author Topic: Local door-to-door deliveries and collections over the years  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Local door-to-door deliveries and collections over the years
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »
I've been looking through Mike Allen's wonderful collection of images of North Mymms, many taken by the late Ron Kingdon. Mike, the editor of the Welham Green website, is a keen photographer and local historian, and he has shared the images with this site so that we can publish them in the forum so more people can enjoy them. Mike has carefully digitised, enhanced and restored many images over the years. Over the next few months I will be picking themed images to share. We've already got a selection in the forum about local bus and rail transport in the '60s and '70s, now I am digging out images of local door-to-door deliveries and collections. To start the series two images of the A1 Dairies deliveries, both taken in the '60s. I'll add more over the coming days.

Frank Atkins, the A1 Dairies milkman in Skimpan's Close, Welham Green in the '60s. Image by Ron Kingdon.

The same A1 Dairies milk float at Nash's Corner, Welham Green in 1968. Image by Ron Kingdon.

Please feel free to add your memories.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: milkmade

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Local door-to-door deliveries and collections over the years
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:23 pm »
A few more images by Ron Kingdon, digitised and enhanced by Mike Allen.

Braziers Dairies float coming out of Booths Close, Welham Green in January 1993. Photograph by Ron Kingdon

Collecting the post in Holloways Lane, Welham Green in 1966. Image by Ron Kingdon

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 07:18:03 am »
Another picture from Mike Allen's collection of images of North Mymms. This is the Butler mobile grocery van parked in Skimpans Close, Welham Green in September 1969. Another photograph by Ron Kingdon. Did your parents buy groceries from the van? Are there any memories you'd like to share?

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:36:07 am »
The shadow on the face means I can't confirm, but otherwise, this looks like Ron's wife Olive leaving the shop. I always regarded this as quite a smart little vehicle, representing quite an investment with its coach-built body on a Commer chassis. I would like to create a model of this, but my memory of the colours is getting dim. The lower bodysides were maroon.

In contrast a Mr. Gower used to buy secondhand Bedford OB coaches with Duple Vista bodies and fit them out as Gower's Mobile Shop, then drive round the village parking up for a couple of hours for business. Sweets, bread, washing powder, fruit and veg., he had it all. I don't know the extent of his round, but it must have been a fairly precarious living. MoT time for an old bus full of spuds must have been interesting!

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:10:10 pm »

The Tonibell ice cream van in Skimpans Close, Welham Green in the '60s. Image by Ron Kingdon, digitally enhanced by Mike Allen

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 08:23:27 am »
A few more images from the door-to-door deliveries and collections series of images. These are of a delivery man for HG Cobb Bros the bakers in Potters Bar delivering to Little Heath in 1966. In the second image you can see the A1 milk float in the corner. Images by Ron Kingdon and digitally enhanced by Mike Allen. Do any Little Heath residents remember those deliveries?

Tags: