Author Topic: Chancellor's admissions policy  (Read 101373 times)

Offline Arty Achilleos

• Opinions on some things
  • Call me to chat about PTA
    • Baboucha Hand Made Shoes
Re: Chancellor's
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2003, 02:57:41 pm »
Perhaps, if the locals supported ‘their’ school more often, then perhaps the people concerned with the applications may recognise the names and the faces when the right time comes.
You don’t have to have children at a school to support it.

Arty

Offline Arty Achilleos

Re: Chancellor's admissions policy
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2003, 03:01:04 pm »
Perhaps, if the locals supported ‘their’ school more often, then perhaps the people concerned with the applications may recognise the names and the faces when the right time comes.
You don’t have to have children at a school to support it.

Arty

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Chancellor's
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2003, 03:35:51 pm »
So are you saying Arty, that if local parents get "involved" and support the school they might show favour and let those children in because they recognise the names? Isn't that almost like taking a bribe? If I support the school and make a nice donation.....will they recognise my name??

I actually think the school is getting less support because many people feel let down by their "local School" it's not just about gettting your own child in. By taking kids further afield, we have a far bigger volume of traffic round here which must be VERY annoying for local residence.

It works both ways Arty, perhaps if Chancellors announced it would put the local community first, then people would get involved.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2003, 04:19:17 pm »
Not convinced Arty. I know you personal have nothing to do with the selection process, but do you honestly believe that if a parent comes along and attends 2 PTA events a year it will make one cent of difference to whether their child gets in to Chancellors or not?

Perhaps if the school supported the local community more, say, by allowing the local children to attend, the village would be more inclined to support the school.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2003, 12:39:51 pm »
James,
Correct, I personally have nothing to do with the selection; but, if parents have supported the school prior to their application, then they can include that in their letter.
Most people say, “ If my child is selected I am willing to help the PTA in any way possible” then once they are in they disappear!

Arty

MikeL

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2003, 02:56:07 pm »
Arty

Perhaps you'd like to give us a breakdown of PTA numbers by the areas they live in? Especially for year 7 parents.

And exactly how many of the non BP parents supported the PTA prior to their children obtaining places.

I find your comment offensive to say the least. To see that you feel you have to resort to blackmail in order to try to boost attendance at your PTA events is horrific.

Have you ever thought that the reason you have trouble getting support is because so few of the children have parents in the area.

Offline anna

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2003, 03:00:58 pm »
So are you saying Arty, that if local parents get "involved" and support the school they might show favour and let those children in because they recognise the names? Isn't that almost like taking a bribe? If I support the school and make a nice donation.....will they recognise my name??  

I actually think the school is getting less support because many people feel let down by their "local School" it's not just about gettting your own child in. By taking kids further afield, we have a far bigger volume of traffic round here which must be VERY annoying for local residence.

It works both ways Arty, perhaps if Chancellors announced it would put the local community first, then people would get involved.

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2003, 01:23:40 pm »
I’ve nothing to say re. the admissions policy, just to reiterate my last message and to thank some of the parents of the junior school that attended our function on Saturday night.

Good luck with your applications folks.  :-*

Arty

Melissa_French

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2003, 01:38:20 am »
Oh dear, Arty,

I cannot sit here silently any more.  I have been reading this web site for just on a year now.  How smug you are!  Have you stopped to think of some of the offensive things you say?

May I remind you that you have yet to answer the question posed earlier this month from Mike L, of how many of the current Year 7 parents are active on your PTA. Please do not count the parents with older siblings already within the school.  I for one will be very interested to see the result. From what I understand most of the hard working PTA members are exisiting BP Mums and there isn't a new Year 7 "outsider" in sight!

Why my interest?  I am one of those unfortunate parents from last years intake who failed to get my above average intelligence child a place in the local school. It really galls me to see the bus loads of kids that I pass on my journey to and from my child's new independent school. I must stop here, as I could continue for a great length of time.  Forgive me if I sound bitter, but I just am!  I am hoping that this feeling will subside in time, but I doubt it, maybe when the last of my children finish school education?

I hope this time you will reply to the question that has now been posed twice.

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2003, 04:55:18 pm »

Mrs French,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see a new member.

I write this just for your information. For one last time,
I PERSONALLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INTAKE APPLICATIONS OF CHANCELLORS SCHOOL.  :-\

I am sorry that you were one of the many people refused, but obviously you have a grudge with someone; please take it up with the relevant authorities. :'(

To answer your question there are EIGHT members of the current year 7 that serve on the committee of the PTA; and a grand job they are doing. I do not sit at the door counting or asking people who attend the functions where they live, I am just thankful for their kind support.  8)

The PTA is a registered charity, and like any other charity, can be supported by anyone who wishes. You do not have to have children at the school to support this charity.  :-*

Oh yes: if anybody wishes to attend the next PTA show please ring Robin Boothby on 01707  652777 or e-mail him on robinboothby@btinternet.com ;) ;)

Arty

Phil_Holm

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2003, 07:33:23 pm »
There has been a recent change in the code of practice regarding School admissions and the appeals.  I was on the DFES web site and discovered these documents.  I haven't completed reading them myself, so I'm not sure whether it will be good news or bad news to the contributors to this thread.

There is a 77 page PDF on the new admissions policy, and a 54 page PDF on the new appeals code of practice which can be downloaded or viewed at:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/sacode/

To quote from the DFES site "The new School Admissions Code of Practice and School Admission Appeals Code of Practice came into force on 31 January, and replace the Code of Practice on School Admissions and Code of Practice on School Admission Appeals. "

Phil

MikeL

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2003, 08:10:41 pm »
I think you'll find the problem is that Chancellors is a Foundation School and so is in effect it's own admissions authority. I believe (but don't quote me!) that this means it simply has to have it's admissions policy approved by the government every two years, so this document does not really affect it.

I see Arty has completely missed the point yet again. No one believes that you are responsible in any way for the admissions policy of Chancellors. But you have managed to upset some people with ill advised comments and criticisms about local parents not supporting their local school and how they might have a better chance if they attended the PTA events (There is nothing in their admission criteria about this. I suspect many parents might have a case to sue the school if it is true!)

John_fraser

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2003, 10:06:36 pm »
“Perhaps, if the locals supported ‘their’ school more often, then perhaps the people concerned with the applications may recognise the names and the faces when the right time comes.”  

Perhaps if the school was more supportive of the area it in which exists then locals might regard it as ‘their’ school and support it back.

Chancellor’s has published its admissions policy, but you appear to be suggesting that there is an alternative selection criteria? If so, can you go into more detail and explain how much support is expected from parents before their children can be accepted via this backdoor? Or was that comment proof that Chancellor’s is suffering a backlash for failing to support the local community.

My son is in Brookmans Park School and he has made many of friends there. In a few years he will go to secondary school and, thanks to Chancellor's appalling admissions policy, I will have to explain why some or all of his friends are going to a different school. If he can’t get into Chancellor's, neither will his brother and both of them will have to travel a distance to school, probably by car as the public transport probably won’t get him there. Meanwhile the villagers have to put up with the extra traffic generated by the Chancellor's appalling admissions policy.

Tonight my wife is helping Brookmans Park School setup the jumble for Saturday, so I have to be home early to babysit. She also is helping to organise Village day. She often helps in the class room. I have helped do heavy manual work at the school. We are not unusual. Most people are more than willing to support the local schools, but what we are not willing to do is to give up our valuable free time to support a school that is evidently failing to support the local community.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2003, 10:44:16 pm »
As someone without children I find this all very amusing.
is it not a pity that all schools were not roughly the same, just as the comprehensive system intended and that if only to satisfy common sense and practicality children would/could go to a local school, thus obviating the stupid travelling arangements and plain waste of time that goes with it.
One of the problems is that most people consider their children special or gifted whatever, and do not realise that within a few IQ points most are of the same ability  but with varying natural talents. My kid this, my kid that etc. etc.
The schools etc. certainly exploit this
The other thing to consider is that education is a business and that all parents and children are the victims of these empire building petty beurocracies.
You all squable and boast, outdo each other with your 4WDs and after hours efforts and wonder why your kids grow up like snobby brats.
I await the ton of bricks coming my way from the indignant parents of mummies little darlings.
regards,
jet
and yes it is my business, because my taxes subsidise your kids and I think my money is poorly spent.

Offline anna

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2003, 11:06:20 pm »
Arty, You made this comment

"I write this just for your information. For one last time,
I PERSONALLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INTAKE APPLICATIONS OF CHANCELLORS SCHOOL.  :-\  "

But in an earlier post you said "Perhaps, if the locals supported ‘their’ school more often, then perhaps the people concerned with the applications may recognise the names and the faces when the right time comes. "

I suggest you retract these comments, if you have nothing to do with applications, then you had no right to make these comments on behalf of the school.  You need to apoligise for making this "false" suggestion, you have obviously upset many people.  If you choose not to comment, I will copy this thread and ask the school themselves if this is in fact their policy, and if not then why is a member of the PTA trying to get people to join by adding pressure in this way.

Shall we all stop supporting Brookmans Park School.....a school which takes children purely on location, and put all our effots into Chancellors in the vain hope it might get us a place?

MikeL

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2003, 11:56:37 am »
Jet

And my children's taxes will have to pay for your care in your old age in addition to mine!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 01:16:07 pm by MikeL »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2003, 11:57:13 am »
and another thing,
If the ignorant education department, the interfeering pta, the parents who turn their childrens education into a part time after hours hobby and the unquallified governers would just back off and let the skilled quallified teachers get on with their teaching then life and results might be better all around, because they could not be worse.
Young people leave school with pointless ( or no) quallifications after 12+ years and are totally unprepared to earn their living in the real world.
I see the results in all facets of industry from pharmacutical to making carboard boxes, graduates in particular are virtually useless having no concept of time against cost ( efficiency)
Ignore at your peril, because they will be paying for your old age.
regards,
jet

and as for you Mike, smiley and all, we have NEVER had a penny from the system and NEVER will despite putting in  over a £million between us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 01:29:44 pm by jet »

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2003, 01:56:22 pm »
Ahh Jet,  

just when I was starting to get bored with the quality of rant on this site, you come up with a corker, you beautifully lay out several paradoxical statements, but in such a way that if one where not paying attention they could be easily missed

All Parents = Over interfering PTA & part time hobbyists
All Teachers = Skilled qualified educators & Givers of pointless, real-lifeless lessons
All Kids = Overqualified & unqualified, Spoiled brats & unwanted mistakes

Also as I am the least educated person you are likely to meet, I feel overly qualified to comment

;)
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2003, 02:09:02 pm »

and as for you Mike, smiley and all, we have NEVER had a penny from the system and NEVER will despite putting in  over a £million between us.

Where does this figure come from ?

I don't know what percentage of tax goes on education but to have paid over a million seems rather unlikely...

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2003, 03:14:01 pm »
Dear Sas,
To explain 65 years working between us, tax, ni and vat you would be surprised at how much it comes to,simple
as that, ( it rhymes)
By the way the whole system, not just education, mind you though?
Money goes in, money does not come back as we are workers.
Before you say it yes we have used the NHS, I think I paid for it :)
regards,
jet
There is more to education than book learning, Swan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 03:16:42 pm by jet »

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2003, 06:20:36 pm »
Replying to #37

Anna,

The comments and views that I made on this site on February 3rd are my own and may not be reflected by anyone else.

These comments are not intended to impose any legal obligation upon this site or to Chancellors School.

I do NOT retract OR apologise for these comments. >:(

If you look at any thesaurus the word ‘perhaps’ means ‘maybe’ ‘possibly’ ‘I do not know’ and ‘conceivably’ the antonym for this word is ‘definitely’.

So, perhaps, I was correct?

As an “over interfering PTA Chairman & part time hobbyists” my responsibility is to publicize the functions and events the PTA are organising in the hope that some prospective parents and local residents wish to attend.

Anyone want to come to our Car boot sale on 2nd March?

Call me. ;)

Arty

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2003, 07:26:42 pm »
Ref the car boot, no thanks I have a hatchback :) :) :) :)
Its only a joke,
One of the freedoms of a democratic society is the right to take part in a pta, pity it does not extend to some of the things I wish to persue.
Oh dear I can see jet and swan, behind sandbags in the snug of the BPH being bombarded with darts made from invites to car boot sales, school reports ( are they on CD now) and parts of wrecked 4WD gearboxes.
Arty I do not envy you your position in the pta I bet its diplomacy and hard going all the way.
regards,
jet
Whilst the school boot sale is kosher and beyond reproach, in general so called boot sales are a tax dodge for selling bent gear using honest folk as covers.

John_fraser

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2003, 07:58:00 pm »
Firstly I wouldn’t look up the meaning of a word in a thesaurus, I’d use a dictionary. Secondly, if you looked up the word ‘their’ as in “Perhaps, if the locals supported ‘their’ school more often” you’d find that it is the possessive form of ‘they’ and therefore implies the school belongs to the locals. Something that is clearly untrue.

You don’t have to retract or apologise , but if you did perhaps more people would be willing to go to the car boot sale you are trying drum up custom for.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 07:58:42 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2003, 08:31:51 pm »
cor blimey, saunds like sumones swalled a bl**ding dictonary, ahe can evan spell fesora*se cuming fraum naurth laundan like ahe do, enit. awrite
ow canit be aur lokal skool when arf the saucepans caum from aut the area.
ahm orf to electocushun klasses eni, orn a cauncel gran.
regards,
cockney ******

Seems like the usual trial by forum to me,
regards,
jet

Astra

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2003, 09:17:38 pm »
Well I think that it is time that I put in my tuppence worth on this subject.

There are no such things as 'local schools' now.  This has all come about since the age of the second car.  People can afford to take their children outside of the area to so called 'better' schools and in some cases, pay for their little darlings to go to the school of their choice.  

Face facts,  the only thing local about the schools in Brookmans Park is their positioning.  They are within the village thereby making them 'village schools'.  The trouble is that nobody bothered to tell Chancellors this.  They don't give a damn about the children in BP, all they care about is league tables.  And why is that.  Because these statistics are used by parents to apparently pick better schools.  What the parents fail to see is that their children are spending so much time travelling to and from school that they have no time for anything else.  Also, their classmates do not live near them so playing with friends and interacting (I really hate that word but it is apt) with other children of the same age does not happen.  So to communicate with their friends they use mobile phones and text each other thus losing the art of conversation altogether.  Can't the parents see this.  We are fast breeding a generation that does not know how to talk to each other or string a sentence together let alone being able to write it down, correctly spelt and legible.

Also, I have no children so cannot join the PTA.  But why can I not have a say in how my tax is being spent as far as the education of children is concerned.  The parents in this village are doing such a lousy job of bringing up their kids and now they have a say in their education as well.  Since when did they all have teaching qualifications or get a degree in parenting thus qualifying them to tell others how to educate their children.  From what I have seen over the last few years the parents are not doing such a good job in parenting.

Perhaps some of us who have to tolerate the disgusting behaviour of some of these children should have a say in how they are educated as the words 'respect for elders' does not seem to be taught any more.

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2003, 04:08:43 am »
This thread is about school admissions. Brookmans Park Primary DO take local children, and I think get a lot of support from the local area.  Chancellor's DO NOT, they take based on ability, but in fact if you look at the league tables they are not doing so well. If they carry on as they are LOCAL kids will not want to go there!

Many people do great work on the PTA, they are to be thanked, they don't do it for personal glory, they do it to help their children and their community. Good luck to them, but one also has to remember that not everyone has the time, and should not be put down for not wanting to take part. It's choice!

But why do we have to always generalise?  I'm afraid I take offense at the suggestion that we are all bad parents in BP, some of us pride ourselves on how we bring up our children. You are right, we do not get training or qualifactions in Child care, and many people make mistakes. But please, I'm sure there are a great amount of very nice children around here, don't judge all the kids and parents based on a few bad pennies.  A majority of parents DO want the kids to go to the local school but the decision has been taken out of our hands, and people have no choice but to drive their children else where or fork out for Private school, in which they are paying double, their taxes and school fees.

This Thread is about admissions..........and locals fighting for the right to send their children to a local school. Lets not start throwing dirt at each other. Lets stay united on this and fight for a change in admissions, if we all start personal attacks on each other then we will achieve nothing.  This is not about what car you drive to pick your children up in, or whether you are a two car family, or even whether you have kids.......this is about children getting first choice on a local school, even if they are not great at Sport, Drama or musical. This is about reducing traffic in a small village which will benefit people with or without kids and perhaps helping to bring back the community spirit by kids growing up together and being the community of tomorrow!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2003, 04:11:21 am by anna »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2003, 11:27:24 am »
Judging by the language and attitude of SOME of the local teenies I have the misfortune to come across during my strolls, I can see why Chancellors do not want some of the locals at their school.
The best living standards in the country and all the computers/mobiles etc in the world do not make up for parents who do not care how their offspring behave in public. Possibly due to "in"human rights their parents cannot excersise any control whatsoever and are gratefull for the peace that ensues when they clear off out of it to chill with their mates.
regards,
jet
"YOU ARE SO UNFAIR" ;D

MikeL

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2003, 11:41:29 am »
Jet

By your own admission you have absolutely nothing relevant to contribute to this thread. Why don't you start a new one and leave this one to the people it concerns?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2003, 12:44:56 pm »
Dear Mike,
Its called a forum and its for views and opinions to be aired in public.
Its also something to do with democracy and free speech.
Schools around here do involve me as I have to put up with the disruption caused to my once quiet village by children from out of the area coming here.
It causes unnecasary polution and results in an abuse of the childrens rights to have a reasonable working day which is not elongated by extended traveling time.
If you do not like what I say then just ignore me or im me to keep it private.
For your information lots of people im me and congratulate me for having the guts to say things which they cannot for fear of ridicule and their position in the schools or village.
It is in my opinion a form of bullying and control by the establishment which prevails because parents are frightened to lobby the school just in case they might prejudice their own childs chances.
The system certainly works does it not.
regards,
jet
I will not continue this with you in public because I do not want the usual degeneration to personal insults to prevail. You post what you want and allow me to do the same.

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2003, 01:24:37 pm »
Jet,

:-* :-* :-*

xxxxxxxx

Arty

Tags: