Author Topic: The end for The Swan in Bell Bar - a look back at the inn's history  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Soon to make way for flats, the Swan Lodge in Bell Bar was once an important coaching inn on the Great North Road. According to the local greenbelt society, it's “the last link in Bell Bar’s coaching history”. Now developers are preparing to demolish it. The local authority has given the green light for a block of flats to be built in its place. Take a look at the history of the place, and browse some rare maps recording how Bell Bar has changed over the years. Some interesting material shared by local historian Peter Miller.

The Swan, Bell Bar, Hertfordshire
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: epiphany

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: The end for The Swan in Bell Bar - a look back at the inn's history
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:05 am »
Very interesting reading, David.  I knew the old Great North Road had gone through Hatfield House grounds but I didn't know the original route was through Bell Bar.  Thank you for the post.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:23 am »
Very interesting reading, David.  I knew the old Great North Road had gone through Hatfield House grounds but I didn't know the original route was through Bell Bar.  Thank you for the post.

Thanks for the feedback. The real work was done by local historian Peter Miller and the late Bill Killick. Peter is popping round this morning along with another local historian. Perhaps we can dig up some more interesting local history stories.  :)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »

Hi Chicken Legs,

There is an article written by Bill Killick in this sites excellent history section that describes the route of the old Great North Road through the Parish of North Mymms.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/road.shtml

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:46 pm »
Thank you Epiphany. I will pass the link to my husband who has studied local history over the years.

Tags: