Author Topic: Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956
« on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:43 am »
Beer drinkers - do you remember raising a glass in the Arm And Sword? Have you had to fight your way to the bar in the Two Wrestlers? Did your grandparents ever talk of having a pint in the Platelayers Arms? These are just three of the 74 pubs listed in four faded pages from a history book that mapped the inns and ale-houses of Hatfield, including some in this area. And it makes an interesting read. I've uploaded the pages to the site for people to browse. They are in a new feature called Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956. Scroll down, click on an image of a page for a larger version then click again to zoom in and read the detail.

Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: chicken legs, epiphany

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:19 am »

I think I can shed some light on this.

The pages are from 'Hatfield and its People', Volume 3: 'Pubs and Publicans', first published in May 1960.

The 12-part, 13 Volume 'Hatfield and its People' series of booklets were published between 1959 and 1964 (I got the impression they got tired of the project in the end because they seem to have largely ignored Hatfield's aviation heritage, which is of global significance, so seems a rather weird oversight).

I know the booklets were reprinted recently (and was directed to the Our Hatfield website where they are supposed to be available to order but having just taken a peek don't see them).

Of the pubs mentioned, The Arm and Sword and Platelayers Arms no longer exist. If they hadn't already been demolished then the Salisbury Square redevelopment would have seen the end of them.

The East Indian Chief building still stands opposite the entrance to St Etheldreda's Church on Fore Street but is now a private residence. A picture of it in its pub days can be seen here:
http://www.hatfield-herts.co.uk/oldimages/francis_frith.html

Happily, the Two Wrestlers exists to this day as the Wrestlers Arms.

Other historic Hatfield pubs still existent and operating as such are The Horse and Groom and The Eight Bells, both in Old Hatfield.

Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline trekbat

• Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Old inns and ale-houses of Hatfield 1490 to 1956
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:24:41 pm »
Oops - forgot the Great Northern, also in Old Hatfield.

Tags: