Author Topic: The Alexander family  (Read 1012 times)

Offline roymccrone

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
The Alexander family
« on: August 04, 2016, 10:10:46 am »
Hi,
I am carrying our research for a book based around letters my mother, Mattie Roy, wrote when she was in the ATS between1944 and 1947.
In autumn 1944 she was posted to the HQ of the 1st Allied Airborne Army in Ascot and there she met a young RAF serviceman called Alex Alexander. They became very close and at one point marriage seemed to be on the cards but then he was sent to Africa and she to the Middle East. Despite remaining in contact for a while, the relationship ultimately petered out.
Alex's parents lived in Brookmans Park and my mother stayed at their house on a number of occasions when she was on leave. Unfortunately, I don't have an actual address for them but I do have a little more information about the family. As well as Mr and Mrs Alexander and Alex, who was 21 in 1944, there was Bruce aged 18, Lisbeth, 16, and Jamie, 6. My mother speaks of them with much warmth in her letters and describes them as a very musical family (Alex was a talented pianist and played in an army dance band).
I would be very interested to find out more about the Alexanders, in particular Alex, and most of all, if there is anyone from the family who has memories of my mother and the times she spent with them.
Thank you.
Roy McCrone

Tags: