Author Topic: Dog mess and the health risks  (Read 146852 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Dog mess and the health risks
« on: January 31, 2002, 01:25:37 am »
There were some strong views expressed in this site's old 'Have Your Say' section about dogs fouling the grass verges.  While many dog owners do clear up after their pets what can be done to encourage those that don't to take more responsibility for the actions of their animals?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
Re: Dog mess and the health risks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 11:00:10 pm »
 ;)Quite simply, the persons doing these things should be followed home to find their address and then the offending material returned to them. They might then get the message. After all, the only reason most people walk their dog is not so that Fido gets his exercise but to prevent the mess in their own gardens! Just take a walk near the Gobions car park or the footpath near Mymms Drive (near the new house) and you'll see what I mean.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline crazymonkey

• Opinions on some things
  • Eat bananas
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2002, 08:07:01 pm »
Recently I went to Gobions Open Space with my family.  We were GOING to play football but we couldn't out of fear of stepping in dog muck.

I think people in Brookmans Park should clear up after their dogs, especially in a public area.

It is not fair because it's our space too and there are a lot of red bins so why do people not clear up after their dogs?

???
Go through with the nasty things then enjoy the good.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 05:53:55 pm »
 I totally agrees. It is terrible. If I'm right it carries a £1000 fine. I once had a mate who got gang green from an infection he recieved from dogs mess. He had cut his knee in a footie match and then it later got infected as some mess on the pitch had managed to get into the cut.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 06:26:31 pm »
Barkers eggs, this is a very sticky subject ;D
No offense intended for persons infected or with gangrene :(
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: April 26, 2002, 08:30:59 pm by jet »

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 12:07:26 am »
 I've just witnessed a man with a dog who lives mid oaklands avenue. This an lets his dog go up our neghbours drive and do its business.

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2002, 02:08:45 pm »
 The other day I went on a walk round Gobians and I was upset at the amount of dogs muck I had to dodge and the terrible smell I kept coming across. Can anyone explain why someone has let their dog do its stuff all along the Gardens?

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 03:32:49 am »
Yes the stink in certain places over gobions is a bit well disgusting to say the least.
But what keeps leaving its calling card in the centre of my front lawn, either a dog on a very long lead or some other kind of quadruped springs to mind.
Its like a landmine when the mower catches it, yuck :o
Also ever noticed the general stink just before bin day its all over the vill. Bl**dy bags whats the matter with good old fashioned bins. ??? ??? ???
We are supposed to be civilised :'(
regards,
jet

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 11:09:36 pm »
Maybe it is fox pooh, perhaps they don't respect your love for them.  They are vermin afterall!! ;D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

John_fraser

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2002, 11:23:00 pm »
Just like the people who don't clean up after their dogs.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2002, 11:51:42 pm »
You can rely on the Americans to come with a solution. The dog diaper for solid and liquid waste from www.dog-diaper.com  ;D

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 12:32:32 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 12:00:09 am »
 Good one ! I mean no more lifting your leg and no more bending down or squatting they can go as they GO  ;D And now we can play football mess free  in Gobions. The dogs will feel like babies. :P

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2002, 01:22:13 am »
Perhaps the dog owners should wear them too :)
M
« Last Edit: July 22, 2002, 01:31:56 am by Mary_Morgan »

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 03:01:41 pm »
Hola Muchachos,
just logged een an noteece ze post on your ow you zay goblins path repairs, an eet got mee theenkin about zee time wheen Tornado used to navvegate zee potoles an doggie doos, caramba ees terible. my qestion she is sis, wha weeel zee 4WD dog owners now do as zey can no longer let zem releeve zemselve in zee car park, oh no reseedentees look out for zee obstructionies on ze footpath. Ceevalised not ie theenk,
up tornado away, oh no, ie will have to cleen between zee ooves ie theenk now, poor tornado ee is walkin round een zee circles madre de dios
iee peety ze poor Llamas
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 03:03:27 pm by Zorro »
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline crazymonkey

• Eat bananas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 09:27:40 pm »
all I know is that when we walk in Gobions near the car park there is always dog mess   there are bins and signs but some dog owners don't read them or dont care for others   that means that we can't play football there anymore because of carless dog owners.  when we go there with the scouts in the summer we come home smelling of dog mess - why does this have to be?  why cant some dog owners please let us enjoy the area too. im sure some dog owners do clear up but loads don't.  the same in the village. we go down to get sweets in the dark and come home smelling.  there are no strays so dogs must be doing it while owners hold them on leads......can someone please explian why this is?

>:(

toothfairy

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2003, 12:00:45 am »
Why is it, that whenever i go for a walk over to Gobions, i end up treading in some sort of mess? †And its not the firm kind that you can just bang off on a log, but the real squidgy kind, that takes weeks to remove itself from your sole. :-X

I havent noticed any "Red Bins" in the area, nor have i ever seen any dog owners pick it up. †Maybe a case should be raised to the local councillor to get some installed, or Corks issued to pet owners next christmas?

Regards,

The Toothfairy

Editor's note: Edited to change thread title only.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:33:54 am by admin »

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2003, 12:03:55 am »
Ever thought about looking in front of you and avoiding it.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:34:36 am by admin »

John_fraser

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2003, 12:13:07 am »
Might be nice if certain dog owners showed a bit of consideration. Why I have to look out to stop myself and my children stepping in it Iím unsure. Surly it would be easier for the owner to clean up after the dog. Iíve never known a dog owner who would let a dog defecate inside their house, so they clearly appreciate just how unpleasant it is. But they seem willing to allow others to unwittingly tread it into their homes and for children to get it on their hands. Gobins can be disgusting enough to put me off going there.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:34:54 am by admin »

toothfairy

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2003, 01:00:14 am »
MM, Yes i do look, constantly, but the reason i go, is because it is a nature reserve. †I look at the trees, wild plants, birds, grasses, shrubs, animals, and shouldnt have to waste my time at gobions looking at the floor.

I also enjoy tracking foxes, muntjack, and other animals, and so stray from the man made tracks occasionally. †Doing this, i have found tracks for Fox, muntjack, badger, water vole, (and dogs) and small animals, that i do not yet have the experience to identify. †If animal owners were courteous enough to pick up their excrement....

What effect do you think the faeces has on the natural wildlife as well? †The scent and urine that dogs use to "mark territory" has an effect on these creatures. †Similarly, in the human world, the asylum seeker issue is a good example of how this affects the natural habitat and existing culture of man. ::)

Regards,

TF

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:35:07 am by admin »

MikeL

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2003, 04:12:24 pm »
As a responsible dog owner who walks a dog every day over in Gobions, I have to admit that I am embarrassed by the disgusting state of the paths over there . I have even witnessed owners who have cleared up after their dog in the street (unusual) and then proceed to empty the bag in Gobions. Do they plan to re-use the bags, if so for what?

Iím afraid that red bins are not a solution. Gobions is not owned by the council, so who is going to empty them?

The only solution I can see is for people to actually start receiving fines for allowing their dogs to foul the streets and parks. As long as people can get away with allowing their dog to foul the pavements, grass verges and roads they are never going bother to try and stop them fouling Gobions.

On the plus side, at least (most) dog owners donít allow their pets to foul other peoples gardens. I find it even worse when your kids have to be careful in their gardens due to someone elseís delightful cat who would never dream of fouling itís own garden.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:35:22 am by admin »

toothfairy

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2003, 04:28:41 pm »
Mike L,

You are dead right. †Cats are also a problem. †My father has recently installed one of those high pitched "cat scarers", which works wonderfully, though the high pitch, i can actually hear, and can get a bit tedious when sitting in the garden.

Perhaps if the red bins are provided, the solution of emptying would be policed, and imposed as a fine for those who dont use them??

TF

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:35:42 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2003, 05:02:26 pm »
How the heck is a dog supposed to balance on a red bin?
Anyone having a go at cats is a candidate for a "punch up the bracket" as my grandfather used to say, in my book.
Quiet, loyal, friendly and above all cheap.
People go out in the country and a bit of dog **** is the worst they can moan about
regards,
jet

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 10:36:00 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2003, 10:02:11 am »
A thread already exists on this subject in the environment section of the forum. It has attracted 14 contributions and been viewed more than 500 times. Click here to read. I have moved this post to that section so that threads on similar subjects are kept together. It is understandable with a forum this size if people fail to spot existing threads, but where possible, if a subject is already under discussion, please try to use existing threads, although it is probably worth letting this thread take over the previous discussion now seeing as it has so many recent additions.
Thanks
David Brewer
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 02:11:38 pm by admin »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 03:37:59 pm »
I will check but I am sure the parish council (owners of Gobions Open Space) provided doggie doo bins.  At least one in the parish has been burnt by vandals. Lovely people!
Surely environmentally friendly dog owners take plastic bags and scoops with them to clean up after their pet?  If not, why not?  I am certain they have no more wish to tread in 'it' than anyone else.

toothfairy

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2003, 11:32:11 pm »
I should hope not.  Were trying to get rid of it, not collect it!  We have enough already :-* :-*

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 12:03:31 am »
By being polite,
I stepped in some s***e,
But nobody seems to care,
with no red bins,
and lots of dogs,
its ******* everywhere!

This happened today for real
regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 02:38:14 pm »
Instead of all this bitching (ho ho), why don't dog lovers sponsor one or more red bins which could have a sign on them to show who has been public spirited enough to open their wallet.  It is called putting something back into the world (and not just cr*pping on it).  

Gobions Woodland Trust owns the wood and is run by a few dedicated local residents.  They have more than enough to do without cleaning up dog c**p.  How about dog owners volunteering to empty the red bins on a regular basis.  The Parish Council will advice on what it does with the contents of their red bins.  

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 02:47:00 pm »
To enforce a by-law you have to catch someone doing wrong.  With ten parish councillors and four staff we cannot be everywhere.  Please be realistic.  

Have you ever tried to report a wrong-doing?  I and my wife noted the vehicle registration number of an overweight vehicle on a local road which had a weight restriction.  I went to the police and they required two independent witnesses, so that was that.  We were not independent of each other. They suggested I could have stopped the vehicle and held it there while phoning for the police to come.  What a joke!

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2003, 03:01:12 pm »
In September my family moved to Bluebridge Avenue. One of the obvious attractions to the area was Gobions and the 'open space' as I am a keen runner and I wanted to take my young son to play football in the park as often as possible.
Frankly my wife and I are simply appalled at the amount of dog's mess ( especially in the 'initial' open space btween the 5 bar gate and the first field) and the sheer number of dog walkers who show no apparent regard for others and least of all to the health of the children that wish to play in what is effectively an unhygenic 'minefield'.
When I am out running at week-ends in future I intend to challenge anyone allowing their dog to foul the area without cleaning up after themselves and I will also carry a small digital camera to take their picture so that the owners can be shamed. Next Sunday I am going to spend the morning removing any existing  dog's mess that I find in an attempt to make the area safe for my son to play in . Iam assuming that no-one else will wish to join me in the clean up?

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2003, 11:13:43 pm »
Sorry, you won't find any takers to help clear up, they're all walking their dogs to make sure they don't mess up their own gardens.

I'm afraid nearly all dog owners view the daily walk as for defecational purposes only and to hell with everyone else. They let them off the lead to run free in the woods and of course cannot see them dropping stuff in the bushes or around the corner.

Perhaps you could petition the parish council to have another, larger area fenced off for children to play ball games in.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: