Author Topic: Dog mess and the health risks  (Read 154824 times)

Offline dogpoo

• Opinions on some things
  • Please clean up after me!
Re: Dog mess and the health risks
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2004, 12:30:31 am »
I have seen it happen. I have asked people to clean up after their dogs. Most of them will come up with one of the two standard excuses: 'O, I wasn't looking cos she normally only does it in the woods' or 'O, I appear to have left my plastic bag at home today'. Yeah right!

One person when I challenged them used a fluent piece of Anglo Saxon and walked off, so I (and don't tell the parish council ;) ) took a photo of him and his dog and said I was going to give it to the police. He returned about five minutes later and apologised (Sorry mate, I've had a bit to drink) and cleared up.

Bet ya anything they didn't bother next time if there was no one to challenge them.

I spent a week clearing up dog poo fairly regularly and by my estimate between 5 and 7 dogs were fouling a day. That doesn't sound too bad (there must be over 100 dogs walked there each day, so that's only about 5% of walkers), but is still around 40 new pieces of dog poo a week. Dunno how long it takes to naturally decompose but I would reckon on a bit longer than that.

I think Gobions Woodland trust is a completely different matter. That land is privately owned. Gobions Open Space - I pay taxes to have that maintained and I think I am entitled to have it in such a state that it is usable by all. I appreciate what the parish council has done/is doing, but I still feel they could do more, and will be writing to them (again) to see if anything can/will happen. Like Dave said - additional doggy bins probably will make a difference, but only to the responsible owners.

People have told me that the worst culprit is a blue van that turns up once a day (I haven't been able to catch it despite my best efforts) from what looks like a commercial dog walker and just releases 8 or so dogs on to the field to have a run around and then calls them back in again, making no efforts to clean up after them.

Trouble is as I have said, at the moment the parish council are not really supporting me. I want to deliver a leaflet to all the houses in Brookmans Park about the dog dirt problem, but they won't give me permission to say it is being issued on behalf of them (they haven't given me a reason why not), and say that instead it must have my personal contact details at the bottom of it. That, in my opinion, would be a great way to start having dog poo pushed through my front door.....

I said I was quite happy to try and organise some sort of volunteer dog wardens type thing to try and collect evidence of the irresponsible users who are letting their dogs foul. This was refused - no reason given.

The wording on the leaflet that I was planning to deliver has been deemed 'unsuitable', yet they will not offer any advice on what wording would be deemed suitable- just that I should submit a new leaflet to their meeting next month.

I have enquired a couple of times with the parish clerk what would have to happen so that the bylaws would be updated so that allowing a dog to foul would become a specific offence. I have been waiting nearly two months for a reply.

Sorry if I was a 'bit selective with the truth' last time Bob - it wasn't deliberate.

I appreciate in regards to your point that taking someone to court isn't cheap. However, I bet if a sign was put up saying 'So and so was fined £100 for allowing their dog to foul on this land' would have a lot more effect than 'Children play here. Please clean up after your dog'. People's wallets are a lot closers to their hearts and I'd bet you would only have to do it once.

Sorry for the essay,

Dogpoo

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2004, 01:01:29 am »
Yessir, went to Gobions with the bairns this afternoon on our bikes, came back with all the tyres completely caked in dog do-do. Some magnificent specimens in the middle of the field, just waiting to be ridden through...

But another thing I noticed was that even if the dogs and their owners are eventually trained, you'll still have a no-go area in the bottom corner where the Brent Geese congregate - phew! But at least you know that's the only place its likely to be.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2004, 06:12:12 pm »
I wonder whether the wording on the signs at the entrance to Gobions Open Space needs to be changed to include the paths as well as the grassed areas? It is extremely difficult to avoid dog mess on the paths through the woods north of the ponds between the field and Mymms Drive. This sign, at the Mymms Drive entrance, might leave some dog owners feeling it is okay to let their pets foul the paths. Would this be worth considering Bob H?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 06:12:39 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2004, 01:15:18 pm »
You have to admit that the yellow signs are eye catching.

If dog owners are sufficiently irresponsible as to not clean up after their dog then they are unlikely to worry about where their god (sorry - dog) craps.  A revised sign from the Parish Council or anyone else is hardly going to make any difference, in my humble (never-owned-a-dog) experience.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2004, 02:54:23 pm »
You have to admit that the yellow signs are eye catching.

The trouble is, while you are looking up to admire the eye-catching sign you are likely to step into something ......

:-/

...but you are probably right Bob.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2004, 05:08:41 pm »
Surely you would think that the dog owners would also come back from Gobions with dog mess on THEIR shoes, like the rest of us.  You would think that would be incentive enough to do something about it.

My wife, my 2 daughters and I came back last week and then had to spend the next half an hour cleaning our shoes.

It really spoils the walk.  And there is absolutely no need for it.

Just ignorance I guess.

Phil

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2004, 08:57:30 pm »
Never mind the dog, what about the owner.

Pity dog licences are no longer issued.  It would be nice to have the power to say you can only have this licence if you clean up after the dog since it is not the dog's fault but yours.   But like unlicenecd cars, there are always some people who delight in flaunting the laws.

John_fraser

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2004, 10:06:05 pm »
i agree the sign mentioned above is not clear it should be more like this

YOU DOG WILL BE KILLED IF IT SHITS ON THE GRASS OR THE PATH.

It's not the dog which should be killed. It doesn't know any better. The owner does.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2004, 01:09:13 am »
Got in first with something! Walked through Gobions this evening and saw two new doggy bins, just where they should be noticed by dog walkers entering from the north east and south west. So maybe we'll see some difference.

Mind you, having been to the open space quite regularly recently on Saturdays and Sundays for "training" (don't ask, my muscles are really suffering) it is interesting to see just how many people fail to pick up their pooch's offerings. On Saturday at around 5pm I saw three deposits made within the space of around five minutes. Managed to avoid them myself, but you only need to multiply this up over the whole day/week/year to see how much Canis toxicara is being deposited.

Ho hum.....

ATG    :(
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2004, 02:45:16 pm »
Sorry Alfred but if you read posting number 60 at the top of this page I said the Parish Council was to provide two more doogy bins at Gobions Open Space.  One of the Parish Councillors, who walks his dog there, advised on where best to locate them.  Glad to know they meet with your approval.

So, dog walkers, PLEASE use them for the purpose for which they are intended.  

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2005, 09:37:41 am »
I was over Gobians last w/end and there was dog mess smeared on the sea saw in the childrens playground - very unpleasant and unbelievably thoughtless

and while on the subject can the person please pick up their dog's mess who keeps letting it foul on the corner of Peplins Way by the Jade Cottage

there that's my anger vented , but what can be done about it ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2005, 05:25:00 pm »
what can be done about it ?

Probably not a lot. The issue has been debated on this site for years. In fact it was the first post in the old 'Have Your Say - Village Life' section. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page. That was back in September 1998. Since this new forum went live three years ago this thread has been viewed more than 3,000 times with more than 100 messages posted. We walked round Gobions today. The Open Space was its usual dog mess obstacle course and the woodland not a lot better.

:-\

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:54 pm »
Gobions dog poo is nothing, in Ireland we have Leprechaun and Stag poo everywhere :icon_jokercolor:
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2005, 10:07:55 pm »
Last summer I challenged a woman who allowed her dogs to defecate in a field where my children were playing. She said she had forgotten to bring a bag with her, but I had the strong impression that she always ‘forgot’ to bring one. Since then I always take a plastic bag with me when I go there, ready to donate it to any dog owner who’s ‘forgotten’ to bring theirs.

I’m pleased to say I’ve never had to ‘donate’ the bag. Only once more have I seen someone not go to cleanup after their dog and, judging from where it happened and by their reaction when I pointed it out, I believe they really had not seen the incident.

So, if you want to do something, be ready to challenge the minority of irresponsible people when they fail to clean up. And if you see someone else asking an owner to clean their dog’s mess up you should be ready to back them up. A zero tolerance approach will get the message through.

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2005, 11:12:38 am »
Just to let you we will be running a "poop awareness day" at Gobions, Sunday 4th September, 9am to 6pm!! 

We will provide "poop" fact sheets, ideas for keeping Gobins cleaner, leaflets on how to train dogs to poop on command, etc.

There will be a competition/draw to win one of three 3kg bags of premium dog food, a children's competition/draw to win the cuddly ScoopiDoop dog toy, and a £10 prize for  whoever comes up with the best original idea for keeping Gobions clean!!

There will also be free poop bags, water and dog treats, and the opportunity to try free samples of dog food.

Please feel free to drop by, to enter a competition, or just for a chat (with or without a dog!).  The Trophy van and small marquee will be next to the Moffats Lane car park.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2005, 03:08:05 pm »
Sounds more like a commercial PR stunt?
I await correction, gulp in advance!
regards,
jet

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2005, 06:40:40 pm »
We had lots of visitors and positive feedback at the "poop awareness" day.  (If anyone wants a list of prize winners please let me know.) 

The best original idea for keeping Gobions "Poop free" was to provide facilities for  us all to deposit used carrier bags, thus providing an endless supply of free poop bags, and a means of recycling carrier bags at the same time! 

There was another excellent suggestion from a number of people (and thus unfortunately not qualifying for the prize).  This was for the provision of some delineated areas around the edges of Gobions open space, (possibly where the grass is left longer), where dogs should be encouraged to "go".  Owners would still be expected to clear up, but it would help keep general areas cleaner. 

Other (printable!!) ideas from people were: more bins, notices on boards about the health risks and giving worming advice and volunteer dog owners on patrol.  (We decided against dog nappies, and stocks for poop offenders!)

The list we provided on the day was:  Worm your dog regularly; Train your dog to “poop” at home/on command; Carry spare poop-bags with you and “politely” offer them to poop-offenders!(this applies to non-dog walkers too); (and this one is just for you, Jet!) Feed your dog high quality complete food which compared to tin and mix reduces poop by up to 50%!

All relevant ideas will be passed on to North Mymms Parish council next week.

If anyone wants a leaflet on training your dog to poop on command, worming advice or the poop fact sheet, I can email them to them.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:39:47 pm by Aqila »

Offline dogpoo

• Please clean up after me!
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2005, 10:39:39 pm »
The best original idea for keeping Gobions "Poop free" was to provide facilities for  us all to deposit used carrier bags, thus providing an endless supply of free poop bags, and a means of recycling carrier bags at the same time!

I did actually try that during the summer of 2004. I put a supply of bags next to the bins. They lasted about 3 days before someone removed them (I'm guessing not the council, probably happened late at night...), and again two days later when I came back and found them scattered all over the field. It is a good idea, but I think some thought would have to go into ensuring that they did not just become a large litter problem...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 01:43:52 pm by dogpoo »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2005, 12:04:48 pm »
JacquiW, just out of interest and not in any way to critisice your obvious altruistic efforts, was there a commercial interest in your efforts, ie selling things?
regards,
jet

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2005, 01:47:52 pm »
Jet

If you'd come along on Sunday, you'd know the answer to that one!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:39:04 pm by Aqila »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2005, 05:04:53 pm »
Bit difficult from 400 miles away. No need to be smart I was just asking a simple question and a simple answer would have sufficed.
regards,
jet

Max

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2005, 09:09:02 pm »
Gosh, this is all so 1950s! Dog muck, dog mess, a dog "doing its business"! Like half these posts are by my granny! I find nothing particularly necessary or clever about using "bad" words, but really, how long is it since anyone really found the far more widely used term "dog sh*t" (I assume the asterisk to be a necessitiy) either offensive or inappropriate? The word "sh*t" is, after all, often used both on mainstream TV and in broadsheet newspapers. Doesn't bother me particularly, but it does seem rather unecessarily coy.

As for keeping Gobions "poop-free", I would suggest a technique used by my father when a neighbour used to repeatedly allow his dog to perform the bodily function under discussion on our front lawn. Basically, he wrapped it up in newspaper, went round to the chap's house and politely pointed out that he had no use for the stuff and was therefore returning it. A small squad of volunteers in the woods, armed with scoops, could approach miscreant dog owners with scoops full of fresh, steaming vileness and politely suggest that as this was their property, they might like to take it with them.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2005, 12:26:21 pm »
Ah but this is a village website where the readers are gentle folk of passive disposition, they would be reaching for the smeling salts if they encountered the language of the oil rig.
Similarly with direct action, anyone being threatening would have the old bill around charging them with assualt with a deadly weapon.
This is BP, its " I will do as I want " stamp pout land.
Its easier writing out parking tickets, than dog faeces ( a new word) tickets.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2005, 12:35:20 pm »
I still like the idea of dog diapers or pooch pants.

Max

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2005, 04:48:14 pm »
Now you would REALLY have to love your dog to use that product, wouldn't you? I willingly and happily performed all the tasks associated with keeping the rear ends of my daughters in a suitable state of cleanliness, but the thought of performing such services for a dog has, to be frank, put me right off my evening meal!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2005, 05:59:23 pm »
I am not connecting the two things but curiously there has been a huge increase in the amount of dog dirt in and around the dog litter bins at Gobions Open Space since late August or early September.  Maybe an unfortunate side effect of the Poop Awareness Day was a raised awareness of the dog litter bins at Gobions? 

No blame is being made on the people who ran that event, and who obtained the permission of the parish council to hold it.  Anything that might help reduce the amount of dog dirt on the Open Space can only be good and, JET, what was wrong with the commercial angle to it?

The parish council groundsmen have seen individuals dumping several bags of litter at the bins i.e. not several people with one bag each, but were unable to speak to them at the time.  Obviously not what their dog(s) have dumped on the Open Space unless the dog had the 'trots'.  They must be bringing the bags from home.  The groundsmen are now having to check the bins twice a day.  This is a most unpleasant task being made worse by the increase in dog dirt taken to the bins. 

The groundsmen put the contents of the litter bins in a large rubbish container at the parish council, but this is now proving insufficient to take all this added material.  If it continues the parish council will have to get another rubbish container and be charged another £500 a year by Welwyn Hatfield to empty it.  This will have to be added to everyone's council tax. 

Responsible dog owners are being tainted by these individuals.  If you see someone with several bags at Gobions please ask them what is in them, and if it is dog dirt, shame them into being a responsible owner.

A dog owner tells me that his dog is trained to do its thing in the garden and the owner then it clears up and buries the dirt in the garden so that it composts naturally. 

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2005, 08:45:44 pm »
Bob, nothing at all wrong with the commercial angle. I was going to suggest that if there was a commercial interest that J should advertise it on the site.
As usual the worst was assumed and a defensive stance taken, so I just thought why should I bother to help and backed off.
Simple as that.
regards,
jet

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2005, 12:54:04 pm »
Bob

I think (and hope!!) it is extremely unlikely that people have been prompted by the Poop Day to bring bags from home!  It is absolutely NOT the message we were giving out.

I suspect that if this is what is happening then it is has been going on for some time and has only just been spotted.  I should imagine it could only be a very small number of people who would be daft enough to do this.  After all what is to stop them putting the bags in their own dustbins - a lot less hassle!

There are other more likely possibilities of course.  Perhaps more people are actually clearing up after their dog and using the bins, and this is exposing the sheer volume of poop and possibly a need for more bins/collections.  Alternatively maybe some altruistic individuals have been prompted to clear up after other people and are dumping these bags.

In the 9 hours we were at Gobions we were visited by appoximately 35 family groups/dog walkers.  Several of these had multiple dogs.  Nearly as many again passed by without visiting.  This accounted for just those arriving at the Gobions carpark between 9am and 6pm.  We missed the early morning walkers and the evening walkers, and those arriving by other entrances and not passing close by.  I think it would not be an exaggeration to say that well over 100 dogs visit Gobions on a regular basis, some more than once a day.  Someone else can do the maths on how much poop is produced and how many bins would be required if everyone cleared up!!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:38:05 pm by Aqila »

Offline Aqila

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2005, 12:59:11 pm »
JET

I was not being smart!  I was trying to avoid getting in to commercial discussion on the forum because it is not the appropriate place for it, and I agreed with the Editor, prior to all entries, not to go down that route.  I am more than happy to discuss this with you off-line if you need more info.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:36:34 pm by Aqila »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2005, 03:27:01 pm »
J , if you are going to make personal statements with double explanation marks then you will be construed as being "smart". A simple answer would have been easier.
You appeared to be a new member to the website and I thought that you might be unaware that business's can advertise their services if they want.
I imagined that you had a commercial interest in dog waste. If you have well good luck to you and thanks to the fine service you did to everyone who uses Gobions.
All dog owners without exception have had instances where their animal fouls a public place, its something that sometimes just happens. Scooping it up helps in appearance but perhaps has little effect hygenically. Because the main evidence has gone, the germs remain.
regards,
jet

Tags: