Author Topic: Dog mess and the health risks  (Read 146395 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Dog mess and the health risks
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2005, 03:36:28 pm »
Walking round Gobions Open Space and Gobions Woodland is no longer a pleasure for me because of the dogs. Not only are too many running off the leash and allowed to run up to walkers, but the stench is too much. No matter how careful I am, I often have to clean my shoes afterwards. I don't see why I should have to look at the floor and not the view all the time in order to avoid stepping into something. The dogs have won. I walk the lanes now.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2005, 09:21:53 am »
Don't blame the dogs.  It's their inconsiderate owners.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2005, 12:17:42 pm »
I was not blaming the organisers of the Poop Awareness Day for the undoubted increase in dog dirt being dumped at the dog litter bins since late August/ early September.  It is simply a fact that the amount of dog dirt being left at the bins has multiplied causing the parish council's groundsmen to visit these bins twice a day.

The real question is whether or not there is now less dog dirt being left on Gobions Open Space?  If there is still at least the same amount then the extra has to come from somewhere else. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2005, 01:13:35 pm »
A friend of mine, who is a user of this forum and owns a dog, invited me to walk with him and his dog across Moffats Open Space and over Gobions Open Space at the weekend. It was the first time I had walked the area with a responsible dog owner and it was interesting for me for a number of reasons...
  • My friend carried bags to clean up after his dog
  • He kept it on the leash until he was confident there were no dogs or people around.
  • When he saw people or dogs he put his dog back on the leash.
  • My friend was more outspoken than me about dog mess and irresponsible dog owners.
Clearly, judging by the mess by the gates and across the fields, not all dog owners are like my friend, which is a great pity.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2005, 01:46:44 pm »
The problem is that the bag method does not remove the yucky bits which are still there to walk on, its just that they cannot be so readily seen.
I reckon that the paths at most of the enterance points to Goblins are pure integrated dog mess.
There is no reason why dogs cannot be trained to go at home, its just a matter of adding one more letter to the command "SIT"!.
Its illegal for dogs to foul anywhere and it would be easy to enforce, its just that plod finds parking rather than pooing tickets easier to issue.
A job for the newe community "policeman" perhaps?
regards,
jet
From the land where everyone seems to have a dog, but whhere there is no mess?

Max

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2005, 06:08:05 am »
If it continues the parish council will have to get another rubbish container and be charged another 500 a year by Welwyn Hatfield to empty it. This will have to be added to everyone's council tax.

Do dog owners still have to have licences in the UK? If so, that would be the logical place to put any charges resulting from clearing up after dog owners, surely. OK, it would have to be assessed on a national basis, but that should not prove too difficult. They are responsible for the mess. Let them pay for it.

John_fraser

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2005, 08:01:12 am »
IIRC Dog licences were abolished in 1988. I don't think they've been brought back, but not being a dog owner means they may have and I never heard.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2005, 08:22:30 am »
Dog licences have never reappeared, but it is no trouble to clean up after your dog. We have a plastic scoop that you have special bags for, very easy to use so no excuse not to clear up the mess.
Bob

Max

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2005, 09:42:51 am »
That is true Bob, but unfortunately, far too many dog owners do not do this, and also, as has been pointed out, removing the obvious mess does not remove the associated microbes. 

Maybe there should be greater restrictions on where you can take a dog. Not allowing them off the leash at all in urban parks where children play would be a good idea in my opinion. This might include the grassy area by the lake in Gobions, which always used to be a popular place for impromptu football and cricket matches when I was a nipper.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2006, 10:33:18 am »
I've just been for a walk round Gobions and returned across Gobions Open Space and I'm sad to say that the parish council signs do not appear to be working with some dog owners. I had to avoid several mounds of dog mess and saw three large dogs foul the area in the time I was walking across. There were six large dogs running free. Two women were chatting in the car park, so I presume they were the owners. The sad fact is that children who play in the grassed area over the Easter holidays are going to find it hard to avoid the dog mess.

David

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 02:55:04 pm by David Brewer »

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2006, 11:28:33 am »
Its not just open spaces, there seems to be an influx of dog mess around at the moment, I notice it walking to school - the grass area on the corner of The Grove and Moffits along Moffits and all around Peplins seem particularly popular pooing areas for dogs. Why can't owners pick it up, I am sure they purposely go out after dark so no-one can see them and then the mess is fresh for the kids to walk in! Its not nice - recently a couple of the children have stood in it, walked it into school (nursery) then when they sit down it has been spread around on shoes, hands etc.

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2006, 02:55:20 pm »
A lot of people in this area think that they have the right to let their Dogs do the business in the road have another thing coming. Its all about lazyness and should I see a dog owner not picking up the dog POO then the owner will be in for a great Suprise.

A lot of people have not got the bottle to say anything to the people who's dog is having a C...p But starting saying something and pulling the people up and the Idea that our roads and pavements and verges are not TOILETS. Stop  and say something dont be afraid.
THE ROCK
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:22:54 am by Bob »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2007, 04:10:37 pm »
Watch your step if you are walking down Bluebridge towards the village in the dark tonight. A dog owner has failed to clear up after their pet. A few people have walked in it and spread it, so best walk on the left. I can't believe there are still people out their who will let their pets foul and walk by leaving it on the pavement.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2007, 05:40:41 pm »
Having been for a walk through Gobions Field today, couldn't help noticing that the dogs mess bin by the bottom of the kids playground is absolutely overflowing with the excess piled up below.

The bin has a North Mymms Parish Council sticker on it but any idea who and how I contact to report my findings?????

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2007, 11:34:57 am »
The Parish Council groundsmen empty all the NMPC bins every weekday normally.  I will mention this matter at a Parish Council meeting this evening.

One problem has been dog owners who brought bags of dog dirt from home and dumped the bags in or near these dog litter bins. The threats of fines did stop or reduce the problem but maybe familiarity of the warnings has caused contempt yet again by some dog owners.  It is fly-tipping.

Other councils and a company that provides a bin emptying service say they only need to empty their bins once a week.  So what is it with our local dog owners?   ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2007, 07:17:22 pm »

One problem has been dog owners who brought bags of dog dirt from home and dumped the bags in or near these dog litter bins. The threats of fines did stop or reduce the problem but maybe familiarity of the warnings has caused contempt yet again by some dog owners.  It is fly-tipping.

Other councils and a company that provides a bin emptying service say they only need to empty their bins once a week.  So what is it with our local dog owners?   ???

But Bob, what if the dog owners are just being responsible and diligent and are not bringing dog mess from home. What if their dogs are just extremely productive?

I can't even start to try to get my head around the concept of people actually transporting dog mess to Gobions to dispose of --- does that really happen?

I reckon that the number of pets encouraged to exercise their bowels in Gobions each day is such that we need more bins than are currently being provided. If so, shouldn't the parish council respond to that need by providing more bins and more frequent collections?

Handled badly, this might encourage dog owners to stop clearing up after their pets, and we wouldn't want that. It's bad enough as it is.

David
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:02:15 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2007, 05:32:34 pm »
Apparently the Parish Council pick up truck was out of action for a few days which is why the bins were not emptied.  Normal service should have resumed by now.

Yes Dave, dog owners were taking bags of ...... and dumping it in or near the dog bins.   ::)  That is why the notices were put on the bins to warn that it was fly-tipping and perpetrators could be fined if caught.  It worked.

Responsible dog owners should carry plastic bags, and maybe a scoop, to clear up after their little darling.  What do they do if and when the dog does its thing in their house or garden?

The Parish Council has already doubled the number of bins at Gobions Open Space in the last year or two.

John_fraser

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2008, 11:40:24 am »
A very big thank you to the kind and considerate person who stopped their dog fouling the pavements by letting their dog relive them self in the middle of my drive.  If you let me know who you are, or if I catch you doing it again, I will return your consideration by posting the mess through your letter box, where you can have the fun of cleaning it up.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:21 pm »
Wait until you are sure the owner is home, put the mess in a large paper bag, place it outside the persons front door, making sure it's not near any other combustable material, set light to it, ring the door bell and run like hell. The dog owner will open the door, see the fire and stamp it out! Ummm, lovely! 

Now then, I'm only joking.... kids don't try it...... well um, errr.....   ;D

John_fraser

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2008, 08:50:58 am »
I like your style

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2008, 04:06:52 am »
In Brisbane all dogs have to be on leads unless you're in a designated off-leash park.  It's a $150 fine if you're caught without a lead and another $150 fine if you're not carrying a dog poo bag!! 

MikeL

« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
But dogs still poo when on leads and simply having a poo bag doesn't mean you are going to clear it up! Given the lack of stray dogs around Brookmans Park I expect that John Frasers "visitor" was on a lead.

Quote from a dog owner re clearing up after his dog "Oh no, I simply could never bring myself to do that".

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2008, 01:44:56 pm »

Quote from a dog owner re clearing up after his dog "Oh no, I simply could never bring myself to do that".

Can you imagine if mums emptied the contents of babies nappies all over the place - the names they would be called - and quite rightly and yet some people think its ok to let their dogs mess anywhere.  It drives me mad >:(

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2008, 08:39:48 pm »
Feeding a dog a sensible diet makes it much easier to pick up.  I wouldn't recommend feeding it vindaloo though - you might have a few problems!  ;)

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2008, 10:19:12 pm »
Having been cutting my parents grass in Calder Avenue... would the owner of the dog or dogs that regularly perform on their grass verge, please make themselves known to me so I may return the compliment...... >:D

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2008, 08:30:00 am »
You don't have all the Calder Avenue dog mess either.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:13 am »
Having been cutting my parents grass in Calder Avenue... would the owner of the dog or dogs that regularly perform on their grass verge, please make themselves known to me so I may return the compliment...... >:D

Might be totally unworkable as an idea, but why not try this.  Buy a cheap 99p plastic bucket and put a plastic bag in it. Put a stick in the ground with some old carrier bags attached at the spot where the dog usually does its business, and leave a note asking the owner to please pick up the mess and deposit it in the bucket.

Offline mannyd

« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2008, 02:15:12 pm »
Went to Gobions this morning with my 3yr old and his 4yr old friend. We walked round the lakes (going in from the right hand track if you are standing at the playground). When we came out the left hand track the area is covered (and I do mean covered!) with dog mess for about 40yrds - a tricky business getting the 2 small people through!
Has there been an event up there involving dogs? Is this linked to the mysterious (to the 2 children and me at least) track marks across the playing field, combined with lines of sand? Hopefully someone knows the answer.... but the area does need a mass clean up

(Note: Edited only to merge with an existing thread on this topic)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:28:07 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2008, 11:48:00 am »
I was running round Gobians the other week and also noticed alot of faeces in that region, however I believe it is linked with the geese that congregate there.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:40 pm »
 In reply to Mannyd, Gobions Open Space is owned by North Mymms Parish Council.  The mysterious lines filled with sand must be the third stage of drainage improvements aimed at reducing the muddy conditions in wet weather.  This picture shows the initial phase carried out in August/ September 2005.

Tags: