Linked Events

• Friends Reunited: March 18, 2005
  • Friends Reunited: March 19, 2005

Author Topic: Another Chancellors show!!  (Read 9465 times)

Offline Arty Achilleos

• Opinions on some things
  • Call me to chat about PTA
    • Baboucha Hand Made Shoes
Another Chancellors show!!
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:37:09 am »
"Friends Reunited"

Come to the latest Chancellor's Show and meet some new friends or perhaps bump into some old ones. We have introduced a new family show format on a Thursday evenings too. See details at bottom of this email.

If you can't come to the show perhaps you can give up a few hours of your time to help - we are normally really stretched on these evenings as most of the helpers are performing. Its very simple you can help serve drinks at the bar or help to serve food or help clear up. It would be great to see some new faces and an opportunity for you to meet some new people and get more involved. See the time slots below and let us know when you can make it. If you come and help you can even get to watch most of the show for FREE!

Friday 18th March  9pm to 11pm (come earlier if you want to watch the show)
Saturday 19th  9pm to 11pm (come earlier if you want to watch the show)
Sunday 20th 10 am to 12 am (clearing up)

Otherwise just come to the show - fill in the form below and send into the school or ring the contact no below   

Friday 18th & Saturday 19th March 2005

Fully Stocked Bar from 7:15 pm - Prompt start at 8:00 pm

Tickets £12.50 - Includes dinner (vegetarian alternative)

Thursday 17th March 2005

Tickets £3.00 (Interval refreshments only)

Tickets from Howard Bennett c/o Chancellors School

Tel: 07801 470085 or 01707 850835

--------------------------------- Or return slip below to school office-------------------------------

Friends Reunited

I would like _______ Tickets @ £3.00 for Thursday 17th March 2005

I would like ______  Tickets @ £12.50      with_____ Vegetarian Meals

for Friday 18th March 2005

I would like ______  Tickets @ £12.50      with_____ Vegetarian Meals

for Saturday 19th March 2005

Please find enclosed £_________

(Cheques made payable to Chancellor's School PTA)

Name & Address …………………………………………………………………………………………..  Phone & E-mail  …………………………………………………………………………………………….

« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 08:17:27 am by Editor »

AgentOrange

Re: Another Chancellors show!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:29:54 pm »
Another considerate move by Chancellors. Not only do we have school pupils parking illegally and dangerously all day (I won't mention the clusters of 6th formers hanging around the cars, doors and windows open, music at sufficient volume to be heard through double glazing, smoking), but now we have an invite for former pupils to return - at night! Great!
I hope Chancellors has a licence for the bar, security measures in place to prevent alcohol related problems and planning permission to hold such an event? Oh and consulting the neighbours would be no more than courteous, but guess what?

Sooner the land is sold off fo development ( and the local education authority would make a bomb) and Chancellors, with its industrial educational ambitions and its urban outlook is moved to South Hatfield, the better!

Kevin Bakhurst

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 12:26:51 pm »

I really feel I must take issue with Agent Orange's anonymous and rather vindictive comments. I'm not sure what lies behind this level of anger, but may I speak up for many people in the village who are grateful that Chancellor's is providing many of our children with a very good education. I know the admissions policy is controversial - and I personally would take issue with some aspects of it - but the school is well-led, the vast majority of the children there are well-behaved and good kids. I really don't feel it is fair to the children there, the teachers at the school or the many families who have happy connections with Chancellor's to make these rather unpleasant and generally unfair comments.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 02:25:01 pm »
As ex parents, my wife and I were heavily involved with the PTA shows and I find Agent Orange's comments offensive.
A lot of people go to considerable effort to raise money for the school with these shows and normally there are only a few pupils present that help to serve the food during the interval. The audience consists of normal adults, usually parents and friends just out for an evenings entertainment with their friends.

"I hope Chancellors has a licence for the bar, security measures in place to prevent alcohol related problems and planning permission to hold such an event? Oh and consulting the neighbours would be no more than courteous"

I hope that Agent Orange has these provisions in place the next time he has friends round for a meal because apart from the number of people involved that would be a similar situation.
Bob

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 05:44:06 pm »
Agent Orange I am curious to know whether you moved to the area recently or prior to the schools existance?

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 06:01:36 pm »
Maybe the question should be “What has Chancellor’s done to alienate so many in the village?”

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:59:38 pm »
I am a parent of three children, the eldest of which will be choosing a secondary school in the next couple of years. I too have concerns about the admissions policy.

However, people like Arty (who I don't know and have never met) must be parents and trying to do the best they can to raise funds for the school as a whole. Let's not knock that, remember any school will have a minority of pupils who may exhibit anti-social behaviour, but I believe Chancellors to be a fundamentally good school. (I went there myself many years ago).

I'd be interested to know whether the people who have complained about these events and the school in general, how long they have been resident in BP ?  The school has been there since the 60s I think.

What are people proposing ? Have schools in out of town areas, away from where anyone lives ? Or within the community ?

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:36:22 pm »
 :icon_scratch:

Wow, what a carry-on.

What-the-f****** has the show got to do with admissions ?????

I only wrote to invite people to the PTA show, not to start WW3!!!

Thank you to the people that backed me up.

It takes 100 people to put on a show like this with thousands of
man- hours put in. The show was an overwhelming success and with the
generosity of most people in the village we hope to have raised around £3000.00

Just to let everyone know, the PTA raised £24000.00 last year with their efforts and with the funds purchased a new mini-bus for the children.

Perhaps it would be better if the school was sold off to travellers…..or redeveloped to council houses………

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 06:19:25 pm »
Wow, what a carry-on.

What-the-f****** has the show got to do with admissions
Other than your "backers" who mentioned admissions?

I only wrote to invite people to the PTA show, not to start WW3!!!
Other than you, who is swearing?

The show was an overwhelming success and with the
generosity of most people in the village we hope to have raised around £3000.00
Really? Did you take a count of the people from the village who went and how much they gave?

Just to let everyone know, the PTA raised £24000.00 last year with their efforts and with the funds purchased a new mini-bus for the children.
Your point being...?

Perhaps it would be better if the school was sold off to travellers…..or redeveloped to council houses………
Perhaps it is an indication of how out of touch the school has become and how much it has alienated the local population that that isn’t as horrific an idea as you intend

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »
People of all ages use this site. Because of that, certain offensive words are automatically replaced with xxxxx. We don't want to edit posts to the point where they become meaningless and bland and the passion of a post is lost, but we do depend on people to take care with their use of strong language in order to reduce the likelihood of causing offence.  Thanks.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

AgentOrange

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 08:12:37 am »
Oh dear. Some people find my remarks offensive. I find that odd. The observations I made are based on fact, so if some do not like hard reality, well....
So Chancellors is akin to a private house is it? Oh no it isn't. Chancellors is a state school funded out of publicly voted funds at both the national and local level. As such it is collectively owned by all of us. My house is owned by me and paid for out of private, personal funds. So the comparison is fundamentally incorrect and odious to say the least/

And yes if I was having a dinner party that could possibly inconvenience my neighbours, yes I would notify them in advance. Thats called manners in a civilised society, a value that I thought Chancellors would be keen to impress on its pupils and its supporters. Apparently this is not the case.

As Chancellors is no longer the village secondary school, maybe its time it was no longer in the village. I must admit the sight of the head walking around  late one evening picking up litter that his pupils had dropped was depressing to say the least. What an admission...

Finally, if Chancellors is so good at ICT, do they not have their own means of electronic communication with thier alumni? Doesn't look good does it!

Offline Arty Achilleos

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 03:40:47 pm »
  :mblah05::mblah05:“………and yes if I was having a dinner party that could possibly inconvenience my neighbours, yes I would notify them in advance,” says AgentOrange

Sir, if you were having a dinner party and posted the information on the relevant page of this web site, I would NOT reply to it to complain about your council tax, the state of the road the weather or for any other reason apart from the subject it was written for.

In future, please reply to postings with the subject in mind and don’t go off on a tangent. There are other pages for you to this.

This is not aimed at you alone but to others who also have nothing else to do but fill up the pages with garbage. :mblah05:

John_fraser

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 04:02:23 pm »

AgentOrange

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
Thanks John! This is getting silly.
The well articulated, logically argued reply says it all really. The point was missed. I will be making enquiries the next time with the relevant authorities to ensure that the relevant permissions are in place, including alcohol licences. It would be a great shame if Chancellors ended up with an ASBO! ;)

Tags: