Author Topic: Anyone have photographs of Willowbrook area / Youth and Community Centre  (Read 2251 times)

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • Opinions on some things
  • The secret of life is compost.
Does anyone have any photos taken anytime (at all) in the last 50 years of the area around the north mymms youth and community centre (where Willowbrook Nursery is) on Station Road ? 

a) Since North Mymms Youth Project started holding its summer meetings at the centre, a few years ago, we have been working to keep the area clear of litter, to make the area pleasant for local use and to recreate the garden that was once there.  But I have no idea what it looked like before.  I have heard of people who had wedding parties at the centre long ago, who might have pictures taken in the gardens, which I'd love to see.  I gather there was a big fundraising push many years ago, with youngsters raising money through a massive sponsored cycle, and that this led to a big landscaping exercise - now mostly buried, though I am gradually uncovering the remains of it.  I can't believe that there weren't loads of pictures taken when that work was completed.  (Although it can't be more than a few decades back, some of the "lost features" are now 6 inches underground: I now understand how whole cities get buried after a few centuries!)

b) I don't even have any pictures of what the area looked like when we started.  Before we started meeting there, a large working party cut a first swathe through what was then a sea of unbroken nettles and brambles, to make a path from the centre, along the back behind the garages, across the stream and over to the playing field, so the children could use the field without going all the way round the back  - I wish I had some photos of that time now, to reassure myself on days when I spend all day there and feel like I've achieved nothing!)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:13:37 pm by hilarycarlen »

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Anyone have photographs of Willowbrook area / Youth and Community Centre
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:31 pm »
I too, as a former Youth Worker at the Centre have been asking for a while now without success. These days, with people having mobile phones, there seems to be photos of everything! Hopefully, someone out there in 'webland' will have something. I will keep trying!
A BIG THANK YOU to Hilary for her work so far (and others that have helped her out) in making the grounds look so much better. 

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »
Yes the area is much improved since the NM Youth Project began work. Especially the stream being free of old tyres, washing machines, etc.

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »
Suggest you try Mike Allen, e-mail imagesofnorthmymms(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

Offline epiphany

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »
Not the garden, but thought you would be interested anyway.....from the epiphany archives......

The following users thanked this post: Ferdie

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:51:35 pm »
Amazing!  I had no idea the centre had it's 40th anniversary last year.   Wow!

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »
Some of us are older than we look Hilary!  ;)

Tags: