Author Topic: Forum calendar  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Forum calendar
« on: February 28, 2005, 08:00:12 pm »
The new forum has a community calendar feature. It means that people wanting to publicise local events now have two methods. You can still use the site's What's On Diary on the front page. This will ensure that your event is listed on the What's On pages and will appear in the list on the front page of the site prior to the event, and is the recommended method of drawing attention to activities.

However, you can now list your event in the forum calendar (click on the button at the top of the forum page) or click here. The calendar event will then appear on the day the event is due to happen as a reminder to everyone.

You can also, if you are not too shy, ensure that everyone remembers your birthday by having it appear in the community calendar. To do so click on your 'profile' when logged on and ensure you have put your correct birth date in the details. Then save profile and close.

Or alternatively ignore all above.

;)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Forum calendar
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 04:46:34 pm »
If you post about an event you want to draw attention to, you can then link that event to the calendar, once the post is live. This means that it will also show up in the forum on the day it happens.

Please remember to also post about the event in the site's What's On Diary show it appears on the front page of the site too.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:11:48 pm »
I've disabled the calendar temporarily. It was showing US events and not UK events (Thanksgiving etc). When we figure out how to edit out the US events and install UK events we will reactivate it. Sorry.
 :icon_scratch:

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 10:47:42 am »
We have reactivated the calendar, and it now has the UK holidays in it instead of American ones. I am now trying to work out how to combine it with the whats on diary -watch this space....

A reminder to use the calendar, simply click on the 'calendar' button at the top of the page.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 02:13:58 pm »
Thanks for fixing the calendar James.

I've just noticed something slightly amusing. If you click on January (any year) you will see dozens of forum members are exactly the same age. I presume the default for a member who hasn't put in their birth date is Jan 1.

Did you know: You can enter your birth date (by clicking on 'profile' and then clicking on 'forum profile information') without the year if you don't want anyone to know your age. That way you get cards and people are nice to you for 24 hours without being embarrased.

:)

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 04:21:04 pm »
I noticed yesterday that my age was a flattering 21 years younger than I actually am.   Not embarrassed by it at all, so corrected it.   I assumed that the changeover had put the DOBs out of kilter, as I am sure it had been correct before. 

Cheers
Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:06:55 am »
Observant forum users might have noticed that 40 forum users were 36 years old on January 1. The same users were also 36 years old on January 1, 2005 too, including The Orange Llama. You can reach the calendar where you see this icon on the forum page .

How can it be? Well, every forum member has a profile page where you can set your birthday. The default seems to be 01/01/****. For those too shy to put in their age, you can leave the year blank, but if you don't want to show up as aged 36 on January 1, 2007, you can enter the day and month of your birthday while leaving the year blank.

When logged on, you click on the icon that looks like this to reach it. When you get to your profile page, click on the link Forum Profile Information on the left of the page and you can change your details there.

By the way, there are some other useful settings in your profile that enhance the forum experience and functiionality, such as sending you notifications and changing some layout features. They are found under the links Preferences,
Notifications and Email and Personal Message Options on the same profile page.

You can change anything without doing any harm - except Delete this Account.

:)

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:19:11 am »
A belated Happy Birthday to all the other forum members who celebrated their 36th Birthday yesterday with me. :icon_jokercolor:

We could have had a pretty good party if we had known ;) :)

Tags: