Author Topic: Classified adverts and the business directory  (Read 24624 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Classified adverts and the business directory
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:34 pm »
We have added a box to the front page on the left which chooses a business at random from our directory and publicises it on the front page. Please look at them and support our local businesses if you can!

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:23 am »
For all those who have added their local business to the directory, the featured business changes randomly whenever you refresh or revisit the page.

Thanks James, a great addition.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »
If anyone has an entry in the business directory can you please check all the details are up to date. I just want to make sure all have the latest information. An different entry now appears on the front page of the site with each visit.

Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »
I just clicked on a link in an advert as it was showing up on the front page and it didn't work as it was trying to take me to www.brookmans.com/www and the website name (The one I clicked on was Sorted Dinner Parties)

I then tried the one above (Smith's Schoolwear) and that was wrong as well.  I hovered over a few others and they had the right url at the bottom of my browser.

Don't know how many are wrong as I don't have time at the moment to check through but just thought I'd let the moderators know
 ;) :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 06:52:09 am »
Hi Angel,

Thanks for letting me know. It is because people who have added business directory entries have left out the http:// bit of the URL. I will talk to James to see whether there is a fast way of fixing this rather than manually fixing the 128 entries.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »
Now that the business directory is displaying a local business (in random rotation) on the front page, would forum users please mind looking out for any that are 1) no longer in business or 2) not local and let us know, please?  We want to make sure that all those listed are still operating and that they are local firms based in the local community.  If you spot anything please let us know by using the contact us form.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 03:56:09 pm »
Thanks to all those who have:

• Updated their business entries
  • Reported problems with existing entries
  • Let us know when some entries needed to be deleted

The business directory is getting a much needed clean up.

Hopefully, now it is displayed more prominently on the front page, with a business featured randomly with each visit or refresh, the facility will be of more use to local people and the local businesses.

If anyone has forgotten their business directory password you can use the contact us form and we will reset it.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
Just a reminder that the site's classified adverts section is for the selling of unwanted goods, or posting about help needed. It's not for promoting local businesses. It can be used if it is a student offering to baby sit or someone looking for a baby sitter etc. But it is not for promoting commercial businesses such as cleaning and driving tuition etc.  The site's business directory has been set up for those wanting to promote their local businesses.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 08:19:38 am »
I have had to remove another commercial entry from the classified adverts section this morning.  (They were very nice about it and are now posting in the Business Directory).

Just to clarify, the Business Directory is there to promote local businesses. Anyone representing a local business is welcome to add their details. A local business is promoted on the top left of the front page each time the site is visited. The order is random and computer generated, but it is a good way of attracting attention. When making a business entry make sure the title and the description are compelling and best describes what you are offering.

The Classified Ads are for the selling of unwanted goods and for appeals for help needed or offers of help. This may include the occasional job offer placed by students for baby sitting etc, but is not for proper businesses. Again, anyone local is welcome to use the facility. Again, the title and summary are important, but less is seen on the three item display - again on the front page of the site. This display is not randomly generated (as in the Business Directory), but is chronological.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »
If you use this site's free classified adverts section, please be sure to add enough information to the title of your post. A description of the item being sold is more likely to get clicked than the words 'for sale', which could be anything. Similarly 'wanted to rent' could mean a house, garage, car etc.

You have 100 characters to play with for the title, so that should be enough to write an eye-catching, must-click headline that will attract potential purchasers.

By the way, all are welcome to use this free facility for non-commmercial sales. The latest three posts show up on the front page of the site.  http://www.brookmans.com/adverts/add.php

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:51 am »
The classified adverts section is currently down for maintenance (Wed 22 Feb). I will post when we have fixed the problem.

And a reminder. The classified ads section is for non-commercial entries. If you want to promote a local business please use the free business directory.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:11 am »
The free classified adverts section is up and running again. It's for non-commercial transactions. If you want to post about your business you can use the free business directory.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
I see there's another classified advert for Maths Tuition added today!
 ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:56 am »
I see there's another classified advert for Maths Tuition added today!
 ::)

Thanks Angel, I was removing it as you posted. It's gone now. As in all cases I always write to the person who posted the advert, copy the original text and suggest they put the information in the free business directory.  http://www.brookmans.com/business/add.php

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »
I have just tidied up the business directory http://www.brookmans.com/business/ and removed a couple of dozen entries that were for businesses outside North Mymms. Just a reminder that the free directory is for local businesses only.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 10:44:32 am »
We have fixed the site's local business directory. A random selection of businesses will now feature on the home page of the site and change every time the page is refreshed. They are halfway down the page in the right hand column. You can still add your local business to the directory free of charge by going here and entering the details.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 11:56:37 am »
I Although I can access the business directory from your link I cannot see it on the front page for some reason.

Possibly my company firewall but cannot even see where it should be.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 12:01:19 pm »
No, I can't see it either, only by clicking through from Dave's link  ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »
Sorry folks, my fault, I uploaded it as a test and then forgot to do it on the live site.  ::)  Apologies. It's there now.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:13 am »
Update: We have temporarily removed the local business directory box from the front page right hand column because there is an intermittent problem which stops it rendering properly. Sorry about that. We will restore when fixed. Image of problem below for those interested. Below that is what it should look like with a random listing refreshed on each visit.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:13 am »
I am sorry to say that we have been unable to fix the box on the front of the site that used to display a random selection of local businesses. Apologies, there seems to be an intermittent problem with the script. I realise quite a few people used that feature, so I have added a link to the top of the navigation bar on the front page to the local business section. Please feel free to follow that link, click on 'Add a new entry', and upload/update the details of your local company if you want. Others can search for local businesses on that page, too.

Tags: