Author Topic: Have you got any ideas for improving the public rights of way in the area?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Have you got any ideas for improving the public rights of way in the area? If you are a walker, cyclist, horse rider or someone who would like to use the paths but canít because of a disability, now is your chance to speak up.

Hertfordshire County Council and Welwyn Hafield Borough Council are working together on a Rights of Way Improvement Plan (ROWIP). If you would like to add a request you can write to Dawn Grocock, the Countryside Access Officer, Public Rights of Way Service, CHN103, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, Herts. SG13 8DN.

<a href="http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/r/LTP3rowip.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/r/LTP3rowip.pdf</a>
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Have you got any ideas for improving the public rights of way in the area?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:29:10 pm »
The Brookmans Park Residents Association is talking to Dawn Grocock about improving the public footpaths across Leach Fields, some parts are impassable and others may become so if not addressed. If any residents would like to add their voices to ours, please email us at brookmansparkresidentsassoc@gmail.com, or come along to our AGM this Thursday 26th November at 8.00.

The following users thanked this post: Alex, Editor

Offline IanHardy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
I am the Ramblers District Path Warden for Hertsmere (living in Little Heath), and the Ramblers Local Path Warden for Shenley, Ridge, South Mimms, Potters Bar and Northaw & Cuffley.  I also walk in the adjoining south of W&H.  I'm happy to contribute to and advise on any dialogue or forum on this topic, or receive any path problem reports, which I can either follow up myself or forward to colleagues.  I work in close liaison with Dawn Grocock, the HCC's Rights of Way Service Access Officer for this area.  She is excellent, given the significant constraints on the Services staff and money resources, and she's always happy to receive problem reports direct from path users.

Ian Hardy (ian.hardy@btinternet.com)

The following users thanked this post: Mermaid, Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
I'm happy to contribute to and advise on any dialogue or forum on this topic, or receive any path problem reports, which I can either follow up myself or forward to colleagues.

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. I am the author of the 52 local walks on this site. One of the biggest problems I come across is finding footpaths that have been ploughed over. It happens to the paths on many of the walks at least once a year. The farmers usually restore the paths once the crops have started growing by tracing the route of the paths with weedkiller. However, this often seems to take longer than the 14 days set out in the public rights of way rules. As a result the paths are often a) hard to find and b) extremely muddy because of the freshly-turned earth. It would be much better if the farmers could plough up to the paths and not over them, but I guess that solution would not be cost-effective for them. So I am not sure what the answer to this problem is. Does your team ever talk to landowners about trying to make sure that they restore the footpaths within 14 days as set by law?

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
Getting out, walking the paths and acting as the eyes and ears of the County and Borough Councils must be a good starting point. They obviously cannot check all of the paths, so having the public reporting in on any problems must be a big help.

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline IanHardy

• Forum Member
Hello David - re. your response to me of March 24th, RoW "blockages" across arable fields is probably the most common "day to day" problem on RoWs!  Some farmers are excellent, some are ok, some don't through simple "ignorance", a few don't because they're just "anti".  I report all such problems (every time I walk the affected RoW) to Dawn.  She does her very best, with her severe resource constraints, and she does get results, except for the "few"!  I do talk directly to landowners as well, and also get results (again apart from the "few"), but it needs to be by regular reminders quite often.

I did submit a motion to Ramblers General Council a couple of years ago about the need to "beef up" liaison (and joint RoW management policies) between the Ramblers and the farming community, but it didn't get the nod (which was frustrating in itself!).

I see you're into Real Ale - so am I, but no more than it being my preferred tipple (unless it's a "wine" occasion), and therefore having the knowledge and experience which goes with this!  I'm afraid I can't get on with the modern fashion for "golden" and similarly labelled ales - to me they generally taste more like grapefruit juice!  In flippant moments I wish CAMRA would start a campaign for CAMTRA (the "T" standing for traditional), especially as they now say they've won the battle (with some truth) and are casting about for things to do - mind you they've answered the question themselves by flagging up various issues, getting to grips with pub closures would be an ideal starting point (CAMKPO - Keep Pubs Open!).

Cheers, Ian

Tags: