Poll

Are karma ratings a good idea?

Yes (please add your opinion below)
15 (55.6%)
No (please add your opinion below)
6 (22.2%)
Don't see the point (please add your opinion below)
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Karma rating  (Read 22733 times)

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Karma rating
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 04:03:35 am »
From a pure human nature point of view it's fine to be positive, but when one is negative, it's not nice! I'd rather make my own opinions on someone rather than know everyone does or doesn't agree with me that an individual is a wally  ;) Can't really see that knowing that others don't agree with you anonymously is particularly helpfully, I'd rather see a forum response on something, there's too much 'hiding under the parapet' and not being counted these days. Wishy washy 'Karma ratings' are a bit naff in my opinion. Stand up and be counted!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 08:39:23 am »
I have disabled the karma rating for the time being after discussing the value of the functionality with the moderator team and taking on board some of the comments in this thread. If we find a better system that is post/topic based we will consider using it.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PS

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 08:50:46 am »
Maybe a system similar to the BBC forum would be more appropriate i.e. by allowing members to simply "agree" so the totals are totted up. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04:38 am »
Maybe a system similar to the BBC forum would be more appropriate i.e. by allowing members to simply "agree" so the totals are totted up. 

Yes, there seems to be a tweak that allows that, but it still doesn't indicate which point were viewed favourably and which were not. Still looking for the right answer.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline PS

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 08:18:25 pm »
I see the voting for and against Karma rating (as of 0600 Feb 4) is:

13 for
1 against
6 don't see the point

If those against it want to add their votes we can go with the majority decision by the end of the week.

David

David, its now nearly ther middle of the week after !! What has been decided ?

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 10:05:54 pm »
PS.
As one of the site moderators, I've noted your question & rather than leave it in 'mid air', I thought it best to add a brief post whilst David is unavailable (I'm sure David will add his comments in due course when he has some time) at this stage it has been removed, (by David as site editor). Suffice to say there has been some other off line adverse comment and some apparent abuse of the rating system. It has therefore been removed for now.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 11:46:22 am »
So much for democracy.

What was the purpose of the vote then?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »
ADM, as a site moderator I will amplify what Ferdie replied to PS. AFTER the poll was set up, there was some apparent abuse of the Karma ratings which pointed to a particular weakness in the system as it stood. So even if everyone in the poll had voted to keep the Karma ratings, they couldn't have stayed in the current form.

The Editor and his team of moderators are looking at ways to keep the Karma ratings, but also at how to keep the system free from possible abuse. Unfortunately, this may take some time, but is necessary.

In the meantime, everybody is still at liberty to post whether they agree or disagree with particular comments, pretty democratic I'd say!

Offline naomi

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 08:37:10 pm »
I agree with you Mermaid that writing to the forum is 'pretty democratic'.   :)   If the karma ratings were being abused then it's best not to have them at all unless a system is in place to prevent that from happening.

Offline PS

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »
Naomi - I agree with you [and of course Mermaid]. My Karma rating was very negative, largely I believe, because of my objective views on BNP, which I suspect was then used against me by worried posters who disagreed. Clearly, the negatives on my Karma was not a reflection of what I have found in reality talking to people, hence my belief that the Karma was abused. 

Offline naomi

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 04:18:14 am »
PS  Thanks for your agreement.  I must say that discussing the merits of the BNP would be a highly controversial topic (not my party I have to say) and without getting in to a political debate, everyone has their own opinion and beliefs and that is the whole point of discussion on this or any other forum.

Tags: