Poll

Are karma ratings a good idea?

Yes (please add your opinion below)
15 (55.6%)
No (please add your opinion below)
6 (22.2%)
Don't see the point (please add your opinion below)
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Karma rating  (Read 21894 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Karma rating
« on: February 27, 2005, 01:55:05 pm »
There is a  Karma rating feature in the new forum, which enables users to vote for or against another poster's comments. The rating is under the user name on the left of the page. 

I've started this poll for two reasons. 1: To test the poll in the new forum (if anyone has any problem voting please add your comments to the thread) and 2: to see whether people like the idea of a Karma rating  (please add any comments to this thread).

Thanks

;)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Karma rating
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 08:24:13 pm »
Any more feedback on the karma rating? I see (at time of writing) that three people like it and three don't see the point. A few mails have come in from people questioning whether it has any value, but there has also been positive feedback. The format has been changed from plus and minus to total karma rating. Can people please say what they think and, depending on the feedback, we will take a decision on whether to drop or keep the karma rating.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 01:04:42 pm »
Ed,

I like it.  But I think I prefer to show the positive and negative separately.  Otherwise it's difficult to differentiate between people with a low Karma mad up of many positives and negatives, and people who have just started.  There's also something rather challenging in having the biggest negative on the forum!

As a sender, it's a nice way to expend vitriol or provide encouragement without actually having to engage.

As a receiver it's an indication of how your posts are being received in the community.

So keep it please.

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:30:06 pm »
I'm personally undecided on my view of the Karma ratings at this moment in time, however my only concern is that the forum is built up of people's personal opinions. The fact is, people have their own view on a subject, that someone else may not agree with. Therefore why should someone be given a negative karma rating for sharing their own opinion. Their opinion may be widely accepted in one topic but another opinion may recieve great criticism in another. This was just something I thought of and I would be happy to hear others views.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 02:51:05 pm »
I think I prefer to show the positive and negative separately.

Plus and negative back - anyone think of better words than 'applaud' and 'smite'?

Offline MC

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 12:55:43 pm »
I think it's quite a neat feature.

M

Max

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 07:01:07 pm »
Why not? It doesn't do any harm. Mind you, I tend to aplaud anyone simply for participating in this sort of thing. I especially like it when someone posts something that is intelligent and literate that I absolutely disagree with, as I always enjoy a good, friendly argument, and believe me, when you are stuck on an oil rig, you avail yourself to the full of any form of amusement that comes your way!!

VERY good site, by the way. When I located it, I was expecting something far more amatuerish, and I must say that I am very impressed. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:33:12 pm »
If you notice the karma rating facility has disappeared, don't call in the computer engineers. There is nothing wrong with your computer, I have disabled the facility. It was meant to enable people to show their appreciation about the quality of a post. However, there have been some rapid increases in positive ratings on a couple of accounts over an extremely short period. If individuals team up to vote for each other it undermines the point of the exercise. Apologies to all those who found it useful.

:-\

David

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 02:10:05 pm »
Name names or put it back.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 02:21:42 pm »
Hi ADM,

It's not worth reinstating because the totals are now so skewed. And it would be wrong to name names because someone was probably only having a bit of fun. What it has show is that the measurement is easy to tinker with and probably serves little to no value.

David

John_fraser

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:36:54 pm »
It was (limited) fun. A few months ago I had a pop at a couple of people and my -ve rating went from about 5 to 20 in the space of a few days. It was nice to get feedback of whatever kind. Why not put a poll up?

Post Edit
Oh there is one at the top of the Page!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »
I'd totally forgotten about having asked people for their opinion on karma ratings on the site. Seems there were ten in favour, none against and five couldn't see the point, so they are back.

If you like what people say you can 'agree' with them by clicking the 'agree' link under their username and icon to the left of their post.

If you don't agree with them you can express that by clicking on the 'disagree' link, which is also under their username.

David

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:46:07 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:05:55 am »

I edited my post (above) to let people know that I have changed the Karma ratings links (visible to logged on users under the poster's username and icons on the left) from 'applaud' and 'smite' to 'agree' and 'disagree'.

I think the new labels are less aggressive and personal and can be directed at the content in the latest post the forum user has made.

So, if you 'agree' or 'disagree' with a point someone has made, please consider registering your opinion using the karma ratings buttons.

David

Offline David Crouch

• Opinions on some things
  • Old Men Ride Old Bikes!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 05:24:13 am »
I think the concept worthwhile.

An individual may add a quick "agree" or  "disagree" with out adding elaboration.

Provides an available concensus for the article originator provided it is associated with a particular item only and does not become an individuals popularity contest.

:)

Cheers!

David
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:13:49 am by David Crouch »

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 12:22:09 am »
Please correct me if I'm wrong - but if I agree or disagree with a post it appears that the + or - is related to ALL topics that the person has posted and not the individual post that I am referring to. If this is the case, then the karma rating should be based on the specific topic/post otherwise you have no idea who agrees with you or not on a particular subject.   If this can't be done, then I agree with David Crouch in that it becomes a popularity contest. :icon_scratch:

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 07:37:16 am »
Please correct me if I'm wrong - but if I agree or disagree with a post it appears that the + or - is related to ALL topics that the person has posted and not the individual post that I am referring to. If this is the case, then the karma rating should be based on the specific topic/post otherwise you have no idea who agrees with you or not on a particular subject.   If this can't be done, then I agree with David Crouch in that it becomes a popularity contest. :icon_scratch:

Hi Steve,

The current karma settings are for all topics and can't be set for individual posts or threads. We did remove it some ago and only reintroduced it recently.

It can be set as a total, rather then a + or a -, but that is still for all posts, rather than topic or post specific.

Happy to remove it if people feel it has no value.

David

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:03:13 am by David Brewer »

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 07:59:55 am »
Thanks for that David.  To be honest, I don't think the karma rating is of value if it can't be specifically related. In my karma rating I had both + and -, therefore I can only assume that the majority of my minuses were from people that were anti-gypsy. I would prefer to know where my positives and negatives are coming from on a topic rather than just guess.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 08:59:44 am »
Anyone who uses the forum on www.moneysavingexpert.com can show 'thanks' for individual posts then it lists who has thanked that poster.  I think it works quite well
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:11:19 am by Angel »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:02 am »
Thanks for that David.  To be honest, I don't think the karma rating is of value if it can't be specifically related. In my karma rating I had both + and -, therefore I can only assume that the majority of my minuses were from people that were anti-gypsy. I would prefer to know where my positives and negatives are coming from on a topic rather than just guess.

I understand what you mean Steve. It is just that this forum doesn't provide for that level of detail. Happy to remove the karma rating if enough people think it has no value. There is a poll at the top of the page.

Anyone who uses the forum on www.moneysavingexpert.com can show 'thanks' for individual posts then it lists who has thanked that poster.  I think it works quite well

Hi Angel, yes that works well. That forum is running on Vbulletin which is a commercial solution. It offers different functionality from the forum on this site which is Simple Machines, a free, open-source solution. I think the 24x7 free support on Simple Machines plus the regular, free updates and the masses of excellent features makes it a better choice (IMO).

I expect someone is developing a tweak to the karma functionality as I write.

;)

David

Offline PS

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »
My take on the Karma Ratings is that it is used to measure agreement / disagreement on what should be a posters honest view, and not what should be the "PC" view - otherwise we would all get positives only !! Also, the forum would not become a debate as such, but would merely be a vehicle for "patting each other on the back" for saying the right thing - not a healthy way going forward.

Stevea, I suspect your negatives come from your comments concerning "baseball bats" and "known to throw a good right hander" which as we all know, is PC incorrect as far as forums go. It also gives the impression of showing you in the light of being a rather violent person, which of course may or may not be true, I don't know. However, whether you are or not, at least it shows you have expressed YOUR opinion [which is the important thing], which I suspect has given you the negatives.       

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 11:31:11 pm »
My opinion, having read the recent posts is that really it's worthless, firstly because people who may or may not know each other may want to 'pat each other on the back' or not, and secondly it's not context sensitive, ie the karma is an overall rating, not a per-topic measure.

So I'd say scrap it, or if not, don't take it at all seriously. My karma, although positive overall has a lot of negatives, so people must have disagreed with many things I've said. But I don't know which things.

The whole raison d'etre for a forum is that people can put opposing, unpopular or even controversial points forward for discussion - measuring whether some people agree or not is unimportant, what is far more useful is people's written response.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 01:13:54 am »
Good try PS! Perhaps you are correct about my karma rating, however, if you re-read my posts I only stated factually that some people resort to the use of baseball bats, hurleys and tyre wrenches NOT that I condone this so please stop trying to twist my comments. My remark about a 'good right hander' was in jest which I thought was pretty obvious, however, my comments about Nick Griffin are not.   I have close links to the gypsy world which is far different to the world we live in e.g bare knuckle fighting etc and I state things as they are - NOT what I would do, am involved with or agree with.   I think you will also find that I'm not PC in any of my posts - and again, that would be very obvious to any reader!  :)  I do, however, agree with your first paragraph and totally agree with you Sasquartch about the karma rating.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 05:41:38 am »
I see the voting for and against Karma rating (as of 0600 Feb 4) is:

• 13 for
  • 1 against
  • 6 don't see the point

If those against it want to add their votes we can go with the majority decision by the end of the week.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 07:31:01 am »
Sasquartch - I agree with what you say, and certainly no one should be hung up about their Karma ratings. I certainly am not - and only because of the honest views that I have put forward, whether the forum likes it or not.
Stevea - I think this nonsense has to stop. I am not attempting to get one over you, but please also acknowledge my comments on BNP were reflected as a view of how I see it, as opposed to what my political persussions are [of which you will never know] Re-read my previous comments too. That did not stop you however, of trying to "twist my comments" either, as you put it in your last post.  Whats good for the goose can also be good for the gander. Enough of that.
David - yes, I actually believe that we should maintain the Karma rating - if it upsets some people that they receive negatives - then - get a life. For me, I will simply take it as pinch of salt, as it will not prevent me from saying it as I see it.   

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:01 am »
PS - Obviously I hit a nerve and I am certainly not trying to 'get one over you'. I have always acknowledged your comments/views and do not believe that I have twisted them at all. At least we are debating, which is the whole point of this forum, and are not depending on karma ratings to put our points across.  We might not see eye to eye on certain topics, but then how boring life would be if we were all the same.

Offline PS

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 09:42:53 am »
Stevea - hi - no nerves hit - I am made of much sterner material and rather thick skinned than let someting like that bother me. What with all the situations [many so unbelievable as to warrant a truth test] and locations that I work in as a highly professional individual has led me to view the world differently than the normal "joe bloggs" going about his / her daily routine. Being in unusual situations, having uncommon experiences and as a result, seeing the obvious, is unfortunately not a trait that many people have. No fault of their own of course, but I believe I am unique in that respect. Hence my "views" can sometimes go against the grain that many people hold, and hence my negative Karma ratings. Do I care - not a dicky bird. 

However, I do agree, life would be a bore unless healthy discussions took place. So long live may the forum be.   

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 10:47:06 am »
PS Deep down, I knew you liked me!  ;)   - however, I'm not sure if I wish to know about your uncommon experiences! That makes the mind boggle......and believe me, I've had some uncommon experiences as well! Perhaps it's time to start a new topic!   

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:20 am »
I dont have a problem with the karma ratings although, to be honest, I dont see much point in them as I think they may put some people off of voicing their opinions.   The whole point of this forum is that we voice our opinions, we dont all agree with each other, therefore we already realise that not everyone agrees with what we have to say.   

I hope that the easy option of clicking a + or - will not stop people from joining in with their opinions as, looking at the karma ratings, it would appear that there are a lot of people who anonymously agree/disagree with comments made but are not actually prepared to come on and voice their opinion.

If it is left to the few to make comments that makes for a boring forum.

Come on all you viewers out there, become a member, you obviously find the site interesting
so why not add your comments.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:05 am »
Totally agree with you peppermint. 

Offline naomi

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 09:33:46 pm »
Being new to the forum and having read all the opinions on this topic, I must say that to agree or disagree is a much easier option than writing a response to a post.   :)  This could therefore detract people from writing in to the forum and voicing their opinion.  Also, I may agree with a person about one topic and not another and it seems unfair that the person would not know what I'm in favour for or against as the result is grouped in to one umbrella.

Tags: