Author Topic: Ash Trees gone missing?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Ash Trees gone missing?
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:35:03 pm »
Does anyone know why the Sibthorpe Arms pub felt the need to remove a pair of Ash trees near the entry to Lydia Mews over the last couple of days? They looked pretty healthy to me, a pleasant reminder of a veteran hedge whenever I passed. I don't know how close the Ash dieback problem is to us, and what their projected lifespan was, but it didn't look an imminent issue.
I find it unsettling, just part of a creeping urbanisation of our villages, often brought by people moving here and not appreciating the charm of what they find. While (some of) the rest of us may be guilty of taking it for granted.

Offline Greggles

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
Re: Ash Trees gone missing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:58:22 am »
A little bird told me that McMullens have an eye on selling the Sibthorpe pub garden for development and had the trees removed before anyone got wind of their plans and slapped a preservation order on them. Maybe McMullens HQ might be able to clarify the reason.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:49:55 am »
A planning application for such an event was submitted towards the end of last year - see

https://fastweb.welhat.gov.uk/detail.asp?AltRef=S6/2014/2402/FP&ApplicationNumber=2014%2F2402

however it was withdrawn by the developer before permission was granted or refused by the council.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:40 am »
Strolling to the village shops, I noticed that this intention has re-surfaced, reference S6/2015/0437/FP.
"Erection of three dwellings comprising of 1no. four bedroom and 2no. three bedroom."

These project significantly from the existing building line, which currently contributes to a relaxed and open ambience.
I note from the associated documents that the Council's Tree Officer was 'disappointed' that the Ash trees were
felled before a planning application was submitted.

Tags: