Author Topic: Cock o' the North before during World War 11  (Read 3280 times)

Offline mikedill

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Cock o' the North before during World War 11
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:59:03 am »
Researching into my wife's family history and believe her grandparents, Harry and Sarah Syratt, were perhaps the first proprietors just before the war and during, of the Cock o' the North.  Sarah, we think, may have had a spot of trouble with the law - black market cigarettes.  My wife's' parents, Justin and Helen Worcester, may have bought a 'social club' - The Swan nearby.  Her three elder siblings lived there too: Hazel, Tony and Suzanne.  If any readers are able to provide confirmation of these details or suggest where we might obtain further information, we would be most pleased.  Thank you.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Cock o' the North before during World War 11
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:46:45 am »
I don't have any details on the people, but there is quite a lot about The (White) Swan pub on the site.

From: "Victorian lives in North Mymms" by Peter Kingsford Chapter 9 - Change in Bell Bar
http://www.brookmans.com/history/kingsford4/ch9.shtml

Across Bull Lane was Bell Bar Farm; the half timbered medieval farmhouse, still there today, was perhaps the oldest building in the hamlet. Once an inn, the White Swan, it was the resort of the drovers on their way to London with their cattle. At a sale in about 1815 it was described as ‘most eligibly situated by the side of the Great North Road, two Miles and a half short of Hatfield, and only seventeen from the Metropolis. The farm which consists of a Dwelling House (formerly the Swan lnn). Lath and Plaster and Tiled, near to the Seventeen-Mile Stone, containing:

"Three Parlours, Hall, Kitchen, Brewhouse, Cellar, and Pantry, Seven Bedchambers, and One Garret. A Barn, of Two Bays, and a Threshing-place, with lean-to Chaff-house adjoining, Brick and Tiled. A Range of Stabling, Weather-boarded and Tiled, containing one for Six Horses, one for a single Horse, and another for Five Horses: another Range of Stabling for Twenty Horses, divided into six Apartments, with Hay Lofts over, Brick and Tiled. A Cowhouse for Nine Cows, with Calf-penns at each end, and Shed and Piggery adjoining. Weather-boarded and Thatched. A Cattle Shed, Posts and Thatched; Wood House, Boarded and Thatched; Cart Shed of Three Bays, Posts and Thatched; and a Chaise House adjoining, Boarded and Thatched; a high Shed for a loaded Cart to be placed under; and a Granary, claimed by the Tenant."

More references to The Swan in "North Mymms - Parish and People" by Dorothy Colville, Chapter 19 - Bell Bar
http://www.brookmans.com/history/colville/chnineteen.shtml

Also "Victorian lives in North Mymms" by Peter Kingsford, Chapter 5 - Publicans and the community
http://www.brookmans.com/history/kingsford4/ch5.shtml

And picture here in "North Mymms Pictures From The Past", Chapter Five - Public Houses.
http://www.brookmans.com/history/pictures/ch5.shtml
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline mikedill

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:12:53 pm »
Thanks for the information.  Also, just to say how impressed I am with the website.  Well done.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:16:15 am »
This photo was taken just after WWII and shows the landlord in front row, 9th from left hand side.

Offline mikedill

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:39 pm »
Epiphany

Thanks for the photo.  Pity the landlord doesn't have a name!  The family left somewhere around '46/'47/'48.  I have written to McMullens in the hope that they may have some records of landlords.  Again, many thanks for the photo.

Offline mikedill

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »
Further to the photo of the darts' team, I have had it confirmed that the landlord is Harry Syratt, my wife's grandfather; and further - in the middle row second from the left is John Syratt, his son, and third from the left is Harry's son-in-law and my wife's father, Justin Worcester. Thanks again.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:41 pm »
That's fantastic! -  I am pleased to have helped  :)  I can now convert some question marks into names!!

Offline mikedill

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:59:39 pm »
My thanks.  And glad you now have two fewer question marks!

Offline mikedill

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »
Forgot to mention.  Had a reply from McMullens who have no records of individuals running the 'Cock' but purchased it on 11th June 1936.

Tags: