Author Topic: Please avoid double spacing in forum posts  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Please avoid double spacing in forum posts
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:19:26 am »
Hi all,

A number of posters have been using double or triple spacing between sentences/paragraphs in their posts recently. This often means that the page has to be scrolled, which is not a great user experience online or on mobile. Could people please try to keep to single spaces between paragraphs. Thanks

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sgoldswo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: Please avoid double spacing in forum posts
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:10:47 am »
Oddly this seems to happen automatically sometimes if I post from my work PC. No idea why. I've also had mystery sections of tiny text appear too. I can always tidy it afterward if I edit it from my mac at home.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 07:35:01 am »
Thanks for the feedback sgoldswo. Perhaps it's a bug in the forum software. The forum is due a version upgrade but we are holding off for the next major upgrade, which should include responsive templates that will make the site far easier to use on mobile. For those interested, here are the features promised in the next version of the SMF software behind this forum.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sgoldswo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:28:40 pm »
David, looks like the culprit for double spacing and tiny text is Google Chrome if it helps. As I said above, Safari seems to work with the forum, so what's going on is a mystery to me (it's a bit odd as both are based on the same underlying software).

All the best

Edited to remove double spacing in the post!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:01:44 pm by Angel »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:25 pm »
David, looks like the culprit for double spacing and tiny text is Google Chrome if it helps. As I said above, Safari seems to work with the forum, so what's going on is a mystery to me (it's a bit odd as both are based on the same underlying software).

Thanks sgoldswo, useful feedback. I always update from my Mac using Safari. Perhaps I should try Chrome. I hope the next SMF forum upgrade sorts it out. David

Tags: