Author Topic: Give your robin a helping hand  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Give your robin a helping hand
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:30:55 am »
Our robin has been working flat out over the last few days. I guess it's feeding dependents. The trouble is that some bigger birds can scare it away from the feeding area at the bottom of the garden. So I have decided to give the robin a helping hand. I have made a feeding platform out of a piece of packing and attached it to a branch deep in a bush. The bush is getting leafier and thicker by the day. It's sheltered and safe. There I put a few bits and pieces for the robin - small sizes just in case it's feeding chicks. It seems to be a robin-exclusive area; other birds don't seem to use it. And the robin and I have got quite a production line going. When I refill the container the robin sits on the next branch close to my hand singing. It's a really nice collection of songs, too. Different every time. And it doesn't make that alarm noise it sometimes makes; the robin seems to approve of the new development. As soon as I move away it jumps on the makeshift feeding tray, eats something itself (which is good because it was beginning to look dishevelled and thin), and then it takes a beak load down the garden. The round trip takes a couple of minutes. Picture of robin feeding tray in bush below. I will merge this thread with the general thread on garden birds later.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Give your robin a helping hand
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:08 am »
How lovely, lucky little robin   :) . Do you think it's one of Scruffy's descendants?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:28:59 am »
How lovely, lucky little robin   :) . Do you think it's one of Scruffy's descendants?

That would be nice. Since posting I went back to the feeding tray and saw that the robin had brought one of its chicks along. It looks bigger than the robin, is a bit unsteady on the branches, and still expects to be fed by the parent. The chick is perched on a branch and the adult robin is feeding it. At least that will save the journey.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
Since posting I went back to the feeding tray and saw that the robin had brought one of its chicks along. It looks bigger than the robin, is a bit unsteady on the branches, and still expects to be fed by the parent.

A familiar story in the human world too ....... :-\

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:39:39 am »
A second chick has just turned up. I think the average clutch size for a robin is 5-6.

Tags: