Author Topic: General Election 2015 and Local Issues  (Read 22580 times)

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
General Election 2015 and Local Issues
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
In 2010 we had a General Election Thread so we have decided another one now would be a good idea.
2010 Election Thread

All contributions, as always, must abide by the forum rules. All candidates are welcome to join in and we look forward to open and robust debate on the key issues.

Offline Strad

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Re: General Election 2015 and Local Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:13:50 pm »
The Health, Education and emergency services are struggling to cope. More and more housing is required and yet the politicians tell us that letting more people into the country is good for the economy. It seems though that the people arriving here do not seem to be generating enough money to sort out the aforementioned problems. I am struggling to make sense of this. Would any of the political party candidates like to explain in short and simple terms how this should work.

Offline Bedlam

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »
IMHO UKIP will make giant strides forward locally/nationally throughout the UK and IMO deservedly so.

This momentum will multiply and gain force and a major shake-up of British Politics will ensue, this has happened before and in other European Countries and UKIP's recent successes have the foundations of it happening again here.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:57 pm »
The first-past-the-post system will work against the smaller parties as usual, and the great majority of seats will go to the Tories in the south, Labour in the north and Wales, and SNP in Scotland.

Offline Tubbs

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »
Our MP: have I become persona non-grata?

Similar, I imagine, to many others in the BP community, my wife and I found ourselves recipients of emails from our MP.  Now I don’t mind receiving emails – after all he represents us, and its right that we should know what’s going on.

But it seems I may have become persona non-grata. Our email address is of the form ‘fred&annytubbs@xyzemail.com’ (names changed of course). And the emails we received from our MP always began ‘Dear Fred and Anny’.

But since last year, whilst our email address hasn’t changed, our MP’s emails are now addressed as ‘Dear Anny’.  It seems I’ve been dropped. If I didn’t share an email address with my wife I guess I wouldn’t hear from him at all.

Over the last few years I have, by email, challenged our MP, over the wisdom of actions taken when he was a minister; and in particular on various pronouncements made on a prominent local issue – where his stated actions were quite illogical and clearly driven a party-political considerations. And in the process, in my opinion, he treated the community as a bit dim; presumably it was thought they wouldn’t notice.

Maybe I upset him; or maybe it’s just an admin thing.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:19 am »
I'd suggest emailing him directly and asking him.

My view is if he can be bothered to look into this then that's a sign of how he'll treat his constituents in the future (assuming he's re-elected) - on the other hand if you don't get any response then that might be an indication of something deeper.

Offline southbury

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:11:18 am »
I'd still like to know how and why the Tories have systematically and deliberatley shifted the blame and responsibility for the financial crisis and all the subsequent hardship and pain for those at the 'bottom' of our society away from the Banks and Bankers and the Corporate Tax Avoiders. They were and still are responsible. Nothing has changed. The demonisation of the less fortunate and disenfranchised members of society by the coalition  government which has deflected the responsibility for our fiscal and economic woes away from the Banks and onto the very section of our society that has no voice in the media or in Parliament has been a scandal and should be a cause of great shame for all of us.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:44 pm »
Dear Tubbs,

Sorry to hear about that glitch! I'm sending you a private message in order to identify the entry and put it right.

Best wishes, Grant.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:04 pm »
It is clear to me tonight following the 7 way debate, that a vote for Milliband will bring an alignment with SNP, and then watch out!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
38Degrees has a neat online quiz that lets you vote on the issues and then tells you which party you are most in tune with. You don’t have to put your postcode in if you don’t want to, the quiz still works without.

Vote Match, a simple quiz to help you find the political party closest to your views
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline LMS

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:24 pm »
Sounds like a bit of fun, but the link doesn't appear to be working. I can't find the quiz on the 38 degrees website either.

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »
Vote match does not appear to be working. I am just seeing what looks like programming code

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:37:36 pm »
Strange, it works fine for me. Here is the link without the embed.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/-/html/votematch.html
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline LMS

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 02:41:47 pm »
Thanks, that's fine now, maybe it was because I was trying the link on my iPad?

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »
Latest link works on a windows based machine - Thank you.

John_fraser

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »
Warning: another email reaping site

It gives the startling predictions: "The current predicted chance of SNP winning in Welwyn Hatfield is less than 1%
and "The current predicted chance of Plaid Cymru winning in Welwyn Hatfield is less than 1%"

You astound me Holmes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:25:13 pm by John Fraser »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 06:08:04 pm »
Warning: another email reaping site

Hi John, are you referring to the 38Degrees link I posted earlier this afternoon?  http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/-/html/votematch.html

If so, you don't need to enter your postcode or your email address to take the test. Once completed it should show you which party is most likely to represent your choices on the main issues being discussed in this election.

David

Offline sgoldswo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
I'd still like to know how and why the Tories have systematically and deliberatley shifted the blame and responsibility for the financial crisis and all the subsequent hardship and pain for those at the 'bottom' of our society away from the Banks and Bankers and the Corporate Tax Avoiders. They were and still are responsible. Nothing has changed. The demonisation of the less fortunate and disenfranchised members of society by the coalition  government which has deflected the responsibility for our fiscal and economic woes away from the Banks and onto the very section of our society that has no voice in the media or in Parliament has been a scandal and should be a cause of great shame for all of us.

I don't really do party politics very much and I've voted for all three main parties in my time (and will vote again this time based on my understanding of the candidates and their policies), but I did want to respond to this, nothing to do with the Tories, because frankly Grant Shapps or another Conservative supporter or representative can say what they believe or say from time to time (now or in the past).

What I do want to pick up on is the suggestion that the only people to blame for the financial crisis are the UK financial services industry. It's an industry that employs thousands of people in the UK, not just in London, and the vast majority of these are honest people just doing their jobs. It's also fair to say that without the contribution the financial services industry makes to the wider economy it would be impossible to fund state spending at current levels, whether on welfare, health, defence or otherwise.

It would be wrong to say the financial services industry was solely and deliberately responsible for the financial crisis without looking at the governmental and regulatory environment in the early noughties. The biggest single contributor to the financial crisis was not UK related, it related to the promotion of affordable home ownership and related lending in the US (by the administration of George W Bush). Secondary to that was the regulatory environment, particularly in both the US and UK.

You can look to pin the blame for particular incidents on those responsible from a corporate perspective, RBS and its misguided takeover of ABN is a good example of that (don't even get me started on the insane government sponsored takeover of HBOS by Lloyds). However, to say or imply those with their hands on the governmental/regulatory wheel in the period 2003-2008 weren't at all responsible is airbrushing history somewhat. They were responsible for what occurred on their watch. In fairness to those in government at that time, they've publically acknowledged as much in recent weeks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:03:32 pm by sgoldswo »

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 03:30:01 pm »
It seems nonsensical for political parties to promise  ring-fenced / increased NHS funding if they don't bother to tackle the root causes for people becoming ill.

Warning of high air pollution levels in UK
"Parts of the UK could reach the highest level of air pollution on Friday, prompting heath warnings."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32233922

While some of this pollution is outside the UK government's control, there are still substantial amounts that do fall within its jurisdiction.

Similarly, cutting local government spending on things like gritting pavements (with an ageing population) can also lead to increased demands on the NHS.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:06 am »
Just had a look to see who the candidates are and we have seven people standing for election.
Three of whom live in Welwyn Hatfield

<a href="http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9965&amp;p=0" target="_blank">http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9965&amp;p=0</a>

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9965&p=0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:18:16 am by Editor »

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:26 pm »
Just had a look to see who the candidates are and we have seven people standing for election.
Three of whom live in Welwyn Hatfield

That narrows it down for me then as I refuse to vote for anyone who doesn't live in the constituency.

How can someone from outside the area be expected to know, or care, about what is going on in Welwyn Hatfield?

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:02 am »
How can someone from outside the area be expected to know, or care, about what is going on in Welwyn Hatfield?

I'd agree that at least when a candidate lives in the area they'll have to live with the situation they helped create - through their action / inaction.
However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll make good candidates / councillors / MP - those following the ongoing incinerator battle saw some of 'our' own councillors stab us in the back.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:17:19 am »
As we are leaders of the Commonwealth and permanent members of the UN Security Council, anyone hoping to run the UK needs to be well versed in world affairs and current events.

Yet when it came to the issue of immigration at yesterday's 'leaders'debate' for the large part we had the same platitudes but nothing on the practicalities or awareness of the scale of the problem facing the world - and us.

The world is experiencing levels of violence not seen since WW2. Add in the negative aspects of globalisation and corrupt / inept leadership, and climate change and there are an ever-increasing number of people on the move.

With a global financial crisis and unprecedented levels of migration within Europe (asylum seekers and EU migration) people's tolerance (around the world) is getting thin - a predictable outcome of a rising global population coupled with increasing income disparity.

Several countries (like Israel, Switzerland, Malaysia...) are toughening up their position towards asylum seekers. Others have seen attacks on established refugee populations or them being caught up in fresh conflicts (most recent cases being in South Africa and the Palestinian Yarmouk camp in Syria) leading to refugees seeking refuge ie. a second wave.

Escalating conflict in Yemen (with the prospect of a ground invasion by Saudia Arabia and Egypt) and political violence in Burundi are a couple of the latest flashpoints leading to an exodus of refugees.

The upshot is there will be a huge surge in people who want to come here - and that (unless there is a far more serious debate on the subject) will lead to serious problems for us.

And some of the people seeking refugee are hardly the sort of people we want among us - with recent reports of Muslim refugees pitching Christian ones into the Med.

Already there is a growing Right Wing movement rising across Europe and reports of a 'Christian Jihad' ie. the rise of militant Christanity. So those criticising UKIP better have a sensible alternative policy and not just soundbites / 'righteous' indignation.

Swiss opposition proposes tougher asylum laws"
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/europe/2014/09/swiss-opposition-proposes-tougher-asylum-laws-201492619302239507.html

Malaysia finds 'conflict' in UN Refugee Convention
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-12/an-malaysia-speaks-on-refugee-treatment/4367642

African migrants speak out about life in Israel's detention centres
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/19/-sp-african-migrants-speak-out-about-life-in-israel-detention-centres-holot

Australia limits refugee settlement rights
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2014/12/australia-limits-refugee-settlement-rights-201412553220904373.html

New Yemen VP says he hopes to avert Saudi invasion
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/17/us-yemen-security-idUKKBN0N711720150417

Thousands of Burundians flee to Rwanda
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/04/thousands-burundians-flee-rwanda-150417060447240.html

South Africa's xenophobic attacks: Fear and shame
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32299548

Italy's migrant crisis intensifies with murder arrests, drownings
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/16/uk-europe-migrants-italy-casualties-idUKKBN0N71XW20150416

Edited to remove redundant word.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:55:59 pm by trekbat »

John_fraser

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
The world is experiencing levels of violence not seen since WW2.

Can you back that up?
  • Iran–Iraq War 1980 - 1988 1,000,000 casualties
  • Vietnam War 1955 - 1975  800,000 - 3,100,000 casualties
  • Yugoslavian Wars of Independence 140,000 casualties
  • Soviet invasion of Afghanistan 1979 - 1989  850,000 – 1,500,000 casualties
  • Rwanda Genocide 1994 800,000 casualties
  • Cambodian killing Fields 1967 - 1978 1,500,00 - 3,000,000 casualties
I could name many more, but it seems the world has always been a dangerous and violent place. I don't see why this is any worse now.

The wars and refugees, large numbers of which live in camps close to the area of conflict, are pretty irrelevant. Much of the immigration into this country is legal and economic i.e. migrants coming here to find work who have a legal right to work, mostly because because they are EU citizens.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »
According to VoterPower, those of us voting in Welwyn Hatfield have the equivalent of 0.040 votes. The average UK voter has 7.69x more voting power than us.

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »
The world is experiencing levels of violence not seen since WW2.

Can you back that up?

I could name many more, but it seems the world has always been a dangerous and violent place. I don't see why this is any worse now.

Not in numerical terms simply because many are ongoing conflicts so the death toll will almost certainly increase - assuming there are accurate figures available to begin with (given there's often a propaganda war in tandem with the actual fighting) and it's also questionable whether someone who dies due to a reason other than bullet or blast wounds but due to the conflict (like a shortage of medicines / overwhelmed medical staff) would be recorded as a casualty of the war.

That said, looking at the population sizes (CIA Worldfact book figures) of places where fighting attacks are taking place, and there's a huge number of people potentially affected:

Afghanistan = 31.82m
Iraq = 32.59m
syria = 17.95m
Libya = 6.24m
Egypt = 86.90m
Nigeria = 177.16m
Somalia = 10.43m
Pakistan = 196.17m
Yemen = 26.05m
Ukraine = 44.29m (ironically, Russians are among the Top 3 nationals applying for asylum)

You're right in that the world has always been a violent place - I forget the exact figure but every year since the end of WW2 there have been at least 30 wars (civil and international) taking place. However, the figures show an increasing trend in the number of people seeking refuge; technical advances means there's more news coverage of events; and people appear to be seeking refuge much further afield - as can be seen at Calais. And there's another difference - a common link between many of these conflicts which suggests Osama's desired 'clash of civilisations' may be under way.

"Number of forcibly displaced worldwide: 51.2 million
There were 16.7 million refugees worldwide at the end of 2013, 11.7 million under the mandate of UNHCR, around 1.2 million more than at the end of 2012.
The other 5 million Palestinian refugees are registered with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA).
About 33.3 million people were forcibly uprooted people and displaced within their own country and are known as internally displaced people (IDPs)."
http://www.unhcr.org.uk/about-us/key-facts-and-figures.html

Dumping ground camp for Calais migrants - 12 April 2015
"More than 1,000 migrants are estimated to be living rough around Calais, with many hoping to cross the Channel to the UK where they believe life will be better."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32273985

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 04:49:31 pm »
According to VoterPower, those of us voting in Welwyn Hatfield have the equivalent of 0.040 votes. The average UK voter has 7.69x more voting power than us.

I suspect the figures are even lower for Hatfield residents:

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/localplan
http://consult.welhat.gov.uk/portal/planning_policy/local_plan_consultation_january_2015/local_plan_consultation_january_2015

10.2 Since 2011 WGC is home to 42% of the borough's population
11.2 Since 2011 Hatfield is home to 34% of the borough's population 

However, currently:

WGC with 21 councillors has a 43.75% representation at WHBC
Hatfield with 14 councillors has a 29.16% representation at WHBC

I do recall seeing an article that Hatfield MAY get an extra couple of seats but have heard nothing more on the subject.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 05:44:34 pm »
The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) held a meeting last month with representatives from the local councils about some sort of boundary review to be carried out after this election. I was not one of the parish councillors who attended (and have not had any feedback from those that did attend as we haven't had a council meeting since) but I think it is fair to confirm that some sort of review will be carried out about the boundaries of the seats for the local council before the next election however whether this results in any proposed changes remains to be seen.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline trekbat

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the information.

In their now-seemingly usual manner (ie. following a large and unnecessary loss of life) EU politicians have finally woken up and are finally discussing the massive influx. And while no one wants people to die needlessly unlimited access will create problems (and already there is a Right Wing surge in several EU states).

However, the majority of our politicians still haven't outlined sensible plans - which also leads to the dangers of Brevik-style attacks by individuals taking matters into their own hands.

Insight - New risks as young Londoners priced out of housing market
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/21/uk-britain-election-housing-insight-idUKKBN0NC0FD20150421

Offline Bedlam

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 08:12:33 pm »
c.1 in 4 of the Brookmans Park electorate voted for UKIP in the recent elections.

This time round the Tories should  be afraid, very afraid. Labour have been declared as non runners!

Tags: