Author Topic: Gobions Wood - The Tudors  (Read 2382 times)

Offline GP

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Gobions Wood - The Tudors
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:31 am »
                 The Tudors are currently of great public interest and it has occurred to me that this would be a appropriate time to sign post the site of the old house of Gubbins/Gobions, the residence of the More family for many centuries and particularly the home of Sir Thomas More in the 17th century.
                 I have raised this matter with the Herts Middlesex Wildlife Trust and in a positive reply they point out that the site lies within North Mymms Parish boundary. HMWT, in the course of other discussion with the Parish Council will mention this matter but suggest direct contact from here. This I am doing!
                  It will be interesting to learn whether this is of general interest to the local walkers of Gobions Wood.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Gobions Wood - The Tudors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
                 The Tudors are currently of great public interest and it has occurred to me that this would be a appropriate time to sign post the site of the old house of Gubbins/Gobions, the residence of the More family for many centuries and particularly the home of Sir Thomas More in the 17th century.

Good idea, GP, it would be nice to have some signs showing where the house was. There are a number of books and features on this site about the history of the place. Here are two.

Gobions Estate North Mymms Hertfordshire - Preface and Index
Glass slides of Gobions
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:00:12 am by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Chungdokwan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »
Sir (Saint) Thomas More was beheaded in 1535. Therefore he lived in the old hall in the early part of the 16th rather than the 17th century.

I think it would be an excellent idea to mark the location of the hall, even better if the boundary could be marked in some way - perhaps with a handful of carefully located new trees. I was thinking of hornbeam.

Offline GP

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 04:49:06 pm »
I am informed that this question will be mentioned at the Council meeting onWednesday evening 25th and if the councillors are in favour of this we can investigate further.

Tags: