Author Topic: Potters Bar History  (Read 3152 times)

PBHistory

Potters Bar History
« on: January 06, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
I will soon be embarking on a new web project aimed at the history of Potters Bar.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any information which may be able to assist me with the development of the site.

Any information such as:

• Personal stories of Potters Bar
  • Photos *desperately wanted*
  • Any historical facts about the town
  • Sources of information (Web sites, books, people etc)

This will be a massive project for me and I am looking forward to getting started so any information anyone has to offer would be most greatfully received.

Please Email me at info@pbhistory.co.uk

Many Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:29:52 pm by PBHistory »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Potters Bar History
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 09:00:28 am »
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

I presume you have already contacted the Potters Bar Local History Society and the Potters Bar Museum, located at the Wyllyotts Centre in Potters Bar. Click here to see the Potters Bar Museum page.

When this site was being put together at the end of 1997, one of the first contacts for content was the North Mymms Local History Society. They gave permission for all their history books and archives to be put online. As a result we have dozens of books and features on the site, hundreds of pictures, and a video (soon to be redone for broadband with another to be added).  Click here to see this site's history section.

Perhaps best to start with them first and put all their material online. You will then find that if you put a forum on your site with a history and genealogy section, more material will pour in, often from overseas. Click here to read some of the entries in this site's history and genealogy forum.

Herts Direct has a contacts page for the Potters Bar Local History Society.  
Click here to access it.

All the best with the project. When it starts to take shape please let us know and we can link to it from our history pages.

Regards

David
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:02:17 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

PBHistory

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 10:32:15 am »
David,

Thanks for your response.

I attended the Potters Bar Museum a while back when I first had the idea and will be going there very soon to discuss my plans with the people there.  

Obviously it will be a long process and with time I hope the site will grow into a fantastic resourse for those seeking information about Potters Bar's past.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 10:35:46 am »
Hi Chris,

Here is a story to start you off. You can use this and the images with a credit to the North Mymms Local History Society.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/features/zeppelin/index.shtml

You can also use the coalpost story, which covers your area.

http://www.brookmans.com/history/projects/index.shtml. A credit for this site would be nice if you use this feature.

Best

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:34:23 am »
..... a video (soon to be redone for broadband with another to be added).

Good news. I'll look forward to seeing the re-done video :). I've tried to play the current one a few times but it grinds to a halt about half way through.

supersonic
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:36:42 am by supersonic »

Tags: