Author Topic: Vandalism  (Read 7646 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Vandalism
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:07:46 pm »
Well it appears that someone in the village got a new axe for Christmas. So far the new bridge at Gobions has been attacked:

This was damaged sometime overnight on the 30-31st December. I'd like to think the evidence of lots of motorcycles on the field as well was a coincidence.....

And then it was the turn of our village Christmas tree:

I know the tree was standing when I went to bed just after midnight, and I know if was down when I got up around 7am this morning (3rd January). If anyone did look at the treecam overnight and remembers seeing or not seeing it or can narrow the time down a bit more, please post here or tell the local police - 01707 638100. (Unfortunately, as has been mentioned before the webcams do not store images as we are not allowed to by law)

Mindless, pointless vandalism. I sincerely hope that the Rotary Club do decide to put a tree up on the green again next year, but now can't really blame them if they decide not to.

If anyone's noticed any other recent vandalism, which might have been caused by a saw/axe, please post it here, message me privately or inform the police. And if you do have such a device in your house, it might be worth checking that it hasn't been 'borrowed' by someone else recently....

>:(

James
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 10:59:59 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Vandalism
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 09:08:12 pm »
Thanks for the information and pictures James. Hopefully one of those responsible will take the trouble to explain why they did it in this thread, unless they are too ashamed of their actions.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 09:25:44 pm »
As it seems likely that the vandals also left the beer bottle and can, I wonder if the police have taken fingerprints ?
I don't expect for a moment they have, but I would think even if the perpetrators were caught they'd be let off with a warning.
Lets hope someone knows who it is and reports them.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:31 pm »
I believe the police were informed about 8:30am this morning, whether they bothered to come down and fingerprint I'm not sure - anyone see them?

A warning would be a good start as far as I am concerned. In my humble opinion there are certain individuals in the village who seem to believe they are a bit above the law with their attitude (partly due to the poor response by the local constabulary), and I for one would welcome them being brought down to earth a bit.

James
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 11:26:13 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 12:35:18 pm »
Printable words fail me!  >:(
Bring back the birch - and the stocks!

How much would it cost to employ a private investigator to take fingerprints, casts of footprints and ask everyone in the flats if they saw or heard anyone?
A days work should be sufficient to find the vandal. I will be pleased to chip in, anyone else?

I think the time has come to deal with these vandals ourselves as the police are too busy elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 06:21:53 pm by WINDSORS »

Offline Margaret

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 01:55:27 pm »
I'd be pleased to chip in

Offline falkor

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 03:24:35 pm »
appalling behaviour  >:(  sasquartch is right though, even if they were caught; the muppets who sit in our courts would do nothing (probably ask for reports from social services, that's theri favourite "course of action")

7 days inside would be the answer in my book

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 04:23:32 pm »
Words fail me!
The problem is that today there is no respect for others and other people's property.  

How the Government can claim to be getting on top of crime when this sort of thing happens?  Even if caught, what would the law do with the person(s)?  Tell them not to do it again is my guess.  After all, the tree would be coming down in a few days time anyway.  Bah, Humbug, bring back the birch, the stocks, the ducking stool etc.  Let local people decide on local crimes like this.

Should we thank the vandals for leaving the tree for a month before yielding to temptation?  Despite nearly losing my voice (I told you I couldn't sing!), I enjoyed helping the Rotary Club chairman to switch on the tree lights and the carol singing.  It was a great occasion and vandals cannot take away those happy memories.

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 05:42:40 pm »
We shud cross reference this thread with the "boy racers" thread and i don't think we will be to far away from the culprits.................and just a small chance that it was n't any of those i bet they know who it was.......as boys showing off cannot keep their mouths shut.
I bet their parents would be very proud of them.

John_fraser

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 06:32:18 pm »
Maybe retitle it "lynch mob" at the same time

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 08:18:54 pm »
Maybe retitle it "lynch mob" at the same time

John, I am sure all the talk of bringing back the birch is tongue-in-cheek. Nobody can support tackling violence with violence. I'm sure Neville and Bob are just venting their disappointment rather than advocating a course of action.

;)
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 10:27:56 pm »
Who said I was kidding?
;)

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 01:44:41 am »

Nobody can support tackling violence with violence.

George Bush and Tony Blair do!!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
The softness of today's siRe: Vandalism
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 03:04:31 pm »
My point about the stocks and ducking stool was not violence but humiliation.  Vandals lack humility.

Vandals are only too well aware of their 'rights', but ignore other people's rights.  Today there is no balancing item to compensate for the violation of other people's right to be able to enjoy what they rightly expect to be able to enjoy.  If you follow my drift.

Yobs have a different view on life to that of the average person.  You cannot use the same logic.  

We cannot go back to the days of hanging someone for stealing a sheep or a lamb.  The punishment should fit the crime, but today the crime is that the laws do not acknowledge everyone as having rights - the victim as well as the criminal.  Not a 'yob' - give the person the true title of 'criminal'.  Just like 'joy riding' is really car theft.

Happy New Year!

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 03:11:14 pm »
or there is always the other way...we cud just pat them on the back and say well done and let them carry on with us cheering them on. Go boys,go and have fun and while you're out there have some for us.

hope that conforms with JF's line of reason,wouldn't want a snotty reply

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 03:22:32 pm »
Well spoken Bob - I agree whole heartedly.
The law is totally ineffective in its present form. These criminals need dealing with firmly so they dont keep re-offending time and time again. A good strong talking to by the boys in blue just doesnt scare them into conforming so stronger methods are definately required in my opinion. They have to be made to respect other people and other peoples property as their parents and the present law has failed. I know it is hard in todays society, but most parents manage! (Me included)
Bring back the birch and the stocks. (not said with tongue in cheek, I mean it).  >:(

I suppose I should consider registering again annonomously on this site so I can vent my true feelings and views without the worry of having my office damaged - what is this country coming to!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 03:30:27 pm by WINDSORS »

John_fraser

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 03:50:04 pm »
The lynch mod crack was more the extrapolations on this thread. There is no evidence that the felling of the three, the beer bottle or the boy racers are in anyway connected. But already we have talk of hiring PIs and getting our own fingerprinting done. As we’ve already heard that the police won’t chase and the courts won’t punish, what’s the next step?

I agree that the youths on the green can be annoying and intimidating, but there is no evidence of them having weapons of tree destruction.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 05:56:02 pm »
Thanks for that John.  If Tony & George W cannot find Sad's WMD what chance have we amateurs of finding out who wielded the Weapon of Tree Destruction?

Another problem is that the idiot is most likely regarded as a hero by his mates for having the nerve to carry out such a high profile activity.   :'(

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 06:54:03 pm »
Well well well, ever year its gets vandalised, beats me.

In a society where we spend money it gets wasted by foolish people.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 01:13:46 am »
Having logged on from peacefull Ireland I am appalled by the vandalism of the tree and bridge, how anyone can chop a tree down and not be heard is beyond belief.
As for the Birch, make that a Horse whip and I will gladly weild it.
It appears that law and order are now non existant.
How sad,
regards,
jet

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 02:21:04 pm »
Oly, could you expand on your thoughts please?

If we do not spend money on things like a bridge over a ditch at Gobions, on a Christmas Tree, etc, then we have let the yobs win.  The world will be ruled by anarchy.

The 'wasting' is the mindless destruction by mindless people.  I agree that there is a lot of spending on what I would call unnecessary items, but that is my own judgement.  No doubt someone thought it a good idea when they ordered it - whatever it was.  I just happen to think the bridge and tree were improvements to the area.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 05:24:33 pm »
I suppose I should consider registering again annonomously on this site so I can vent my true feelings and views without the worry of having my office damaged - what is this country coming to!?!?!?!

Hey Neville, you could rename yourself White Hut Man, then only a few of us would know who it was!!!!!

Only joking.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: