Author Topic: Downloading query  (Read 3064 times)

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
Downloading query
« on: January 03, 2005, 12:36:19 pm »
Recently I bought a new PC which has a DVD-RW. I had not yet used it to write DVDs, just CDs, but thought that the larger capacity of DVDs would make it easier to back-up my large files. Turns out you can just burn DVDs/videos on them. I now have 2 questions:

(a) does anybody know a reliable source on the internet from where to download movies? - just so that I can use the DVD-RWs that I already have

(b) do any DVD-RWs exist that can be used to back-up files, rather than films?

Caroline
Caroline

John_fraser

Re: Downloading query
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:18:32 pm »
In answer to (b). You can back up files to DVD drives and I would be surprised if any drives were in production that stopped you doing this. It is probably the software you are using which is enforcing this. XP has the facility to write files to DVD drives built into it. Just pull the files across to it in Explorer. Alternatively use a more sophisticated package such as Nero:

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:58:02 pm »
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline falkor

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:31:09 pm »
I just bought packs of blank DVDs from DIXONS

They do this brand called "PC Line" and do hubs containing 25 blank DVDs for 15 - now THAT is a bargain  ;D no slim cases, no fancy printing - JUST the blank disc

now I have bought tons of these basic brand "PC Line" goods, they work well and are very reliable

anybody else tried this brand from DIXONS?  ;)

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 05:19:40 pm »
You can buy them for a lot less than that at

http://www.svp.co.uk/

I had them recommended to me and bought some for my son before Christmas. The delivery was prompt too.

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 02:29:30 pm »
Spurs fan,

Thanks for this tip. I have gone to the site you suggested and it looks great. Firstly, I now know the difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW, and I have ordered the ones that should work. Secondly, they were pretty cheap (do note the VAT, though). If these disks do not work I will have to get different software as suggested (my Dell PC supplied Sonic), but at least I now know what I am doing.

Many thanks to all for their helpful info.

Caroline

Caroline
Caroline

Tags: