Author Topic: Dellsome Lane  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Local Walker

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Dellsome Lane
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:54:03 pm »
I want to go walking from Welham Green to Colney Heath. According to the map, Dellsome Lane looks like a through route but when it gets to the A1M, it is hard to tell whether the A1M slices it in two or it goes underneath. Google Maps doesn't clear anything up either. Therefore, what happens to it once it meets the A1M?

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Dellsome Lane
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:09:53 am »
My map looks like it goes under, if not, just a little way to the left there's a footbridge.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:51 am »
I want to go walking from Welham Green to Colney Heath. According to the map, Dellsome Lane looks like a through route but when it gets to the A1M, it is hard to tell whether the A1M slices it in two or it goes underneath. Google Maps doesn't clear anything up either. Therefore, what happens to it once it meets the A1M?

The A1M does cut across Dellsome Lane. The old road is a dead end from both the Welham Green side and the Colney Heath side. But there is a way to get from one side to the other.

Take Dellsome Lane out of Welham Green. Eventually it becomes a track. The path forks to the right (see Angel's map above) but you keep left. Soon after the fork take the footpath going off to your right and head north (the dotted line on the map above). Keep going past the cemetery on the right and Angerlands on your left until you emerge on the steps down to South Way, the A1001.

Cross the road and head down Bishops Rise for short distance before turning left keeping the parkland on the left. Cut through the woods, past the recreation ground and look out for a subway under the A1(M). Here you can turn left and either walk down Roestock Lane to Colney Heath or take the footpath over the fields.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:13 am »
Yes, took the dog for a walk that way just a couple of weeks ago.

I always make sure I have a well charged phone with me so I can use the GPS / Google Maps in case I get lost as some of the footpaths aren't that well marked.

Tags: