Author Topic: Tsunami  (Read 7706 times)

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
Tsunami
« on: December 27, 2004, 06:15:53 pm »
On Christmas Eve I bought myself a new duvet in the sale.

Half price.

Saved £25 and left the store a very happy chappy!

Last night wrapped up warm and snug in bed I listened to my radio as news continued to come in of the thousands that have died, or have lost everything in what may well turn out to be one of the biggest natural disasters the world has known for many, years - and it occured to me that the money I saved on my new duvet could help make a difference.

Today I went on line and donated the £25 I 'saved' on my duvet to my chosen charity Medecins Sans Frontieres.

Have you been shopping in the sales today and paid less for something than you might otherwise have done?  Are you willing to step up to the plate and make a difference by donating all or part of what you've 'saved' to benefit others?

If your answer is YES then Credit/Debit card at the ready and here are a few suggestions:

Medecins Sans Frontieres: https://secure.efundraising.org.uk/tailored/donation.asp?charity=19499

Red Cross: (scroll to bottom of page) http://www.redcross.org.uk/news_subsection.asp?id=40238

Oxfam: http://www.oxfam.com/eng/donate.htm

Cafod: http://www.cafod.org.uk/news_and_events/news/asia_tidal_wave_2004_12_27?PHPSESSID=188aa9343ff84f1e475a0d161343689c

Make a difference today!
supersonic

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
Re: Tsunami
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 06:37:50 pm »
Thank you to the 150 people who've so far read this page. I hope some of you were prompted to donate. The BBC have created a web page listing the charities and NGO's operating in the area affected by the Tsunami at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4131881.stm

If you have friends or family in the areas affected by this terrible disaster I hope they come home safe and well, and if you're hosting a party tonight please think of making a collection for those in such distress on the other side of the world.

supersonic

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 07:51:25 pm »

Offline falkor

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 12:37:55 pm »
right on supersonic  :-[
Thursday, Dec 30, 2004,Page 5

The gigantic Asian sea quake, the most dramatic seismic shock in more than 40 years, made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently changed the geology of the surrounding area, scientists said on Tuesday.
It was like "flicking a top," said Paul Tapponnier, head of the tectonics laboratory at the Institut de Physique du Globe (IPG), France's leading center for the Earth sciences.

Tapponnier said the quake deep beneath the Pacific Ocean lasted a "colossal" 200 seconds, building up huge amounts of energy in the sea that drove towering waves onto beaches throughout south Asia.

"That earthquake has changed the map," US Geological Survey (USGS) expert Ken Hudnut said in Los Angeles.

The quake, which had an epicenter magnitude of 9.0, struck 250km southeast of Sumatra island.

One of the four biggest in the last century, it sent gigantic tsunami waves crashing around the Indian Ocean causing 55,000 deaths and leaving thousands of other people missing.

Hudnut said seismic modelling suggested the quake may have moved small islands by as as much as 20m, and the northwestern tip of the Indonesian territory of Sumatra may also have shifted to the southwest by around 36m.

"That is a lot of slip," he said.

The energy released as the two sides of the geological fault line under the sea slipped against each other would have made the Earth wobble on its axis, Hudnut said.

Tapponnier said the quake caused a 15m to 20m slippage of the Earth's surface along a front extending for 100km.

He said there may also have been vertical movements that possibly pushed the island of Siberut, 100km west of Sumatra, one or two meters higher, although it would be impossible to check this scientifically because of guerrilla activity in the area.

Tapponnier said it was also possible that some regions of Sumatra south of the equator have been completely swallowed up.

He said it was not rare for earthquakes to alter geological features. "Earthquakes are the architects of landscapes," he said. "All the mountains that we see today have been modelled by earthquakes."

> the earth's tectonics < it's like a horror film come true

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 02:29:35 pm »
Just to add that you can also donate by phoning 0870 60 60 900

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 03:49:13 pm »
Just to add that you can also donate by phoning 0870 60 60 900

On the radio they are asking people to donate on-line if possible as the phone lines are so busy here

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
Re: Tsunamido
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 05:31:23 pm »
However and to whoever you donate - and please donate if you've not yet done so - do remember to select the GIft Aid option if you're a UK taxpayer. The charity can then claim back the income tax you paid on your donation, thus increasing the value of your contribution by at least 25%.

supersonic

Offline CarolineB

haRe: Tsunami
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:15:10 pm »
I just read that Medecins Sans Frontieres has reached its target for the tsunami fund, and that further donations will be shifted to other areas. Therefore better to send tsunami donations to one of the other organisations.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:14:45 pm »
That's awful Caroline. If people specifically donate to the Tsunami fund, then the money should go to that fund!

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 02:25:13 am »
I just read that Medecins Sans Frontieres has reached its target for the tsunami fund, and that further donations will be shifted to other areas. Therefore better to send tsunami donations to one of the other organisations.

Caroline

CarolineB, why would you want to so blatantly misrepresent what Medecins Sans Frontier have said about their appeal funds?

It can do this organisation, other organisations collecting to fund their efforts after this terrible disaster, and charities in general no good at all when you spread inacurate and misleading information like this!

I noticed at the weekend that Medecins Sans Frontiers had stopped collecting for their work following the tsunami. At that time they invited donors to consider donating to one of their other appeals instead, and listed links to them. They did not say anything about shifting funds donated to them for tsunami relief to other areas!!  And to the best of my knowledge they never have!

For anyone interested in the truth of what MSF have said about closing their tsunami appeal this is copied from their website www.msf.org. (NB: CarolineB and Spurs fan, read paragraph five!)

supersonic

MSF clarifies donations for Asian tsunami disaster relief.

MSF teams are working day and night to provide assistance to people affected in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Thailand and Myanmar. More relief projects will be launched by MSF in the coming days and weeks.

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has received an extraordinary outpouring of support for the people in the areas surrounding the Indian Ocean†through its network of offices worldwide. To date, the contributions MSF has received since the tsunami struck the region are estimated at approximately 41 million euro for this emergency.

MSF estimates that we have received sufficient funds for to the first phase of our work †at this †disaster.

MSF teams are working day and night to provide assistance to people affected in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Thailand and Myanmar. More relief projects will be launched by MSF in the coming days and weeks. It is therefore too early to evaluate the total cost of the MSF operations in the regions struck by the tsunami.

We have an ethical obligation to explain the use of funds raised by MSF for the tsunami relief and to ensure that we use all funds for the purpose for which they were raised.

MSF will continue to assess the financial needs as the scope of our operations in the affected areas becomes clearer.

In this emergency, like all others, we relied on the constant support of people to respond quickly and effectively. MSF was one of the first international organisations to respond in Aceh because of the support we already had and we need this continuing support in order to react in the future.

These ongoing MSF funds have enabled us to respond quickly to the current disaster as well as to the humanitarian needs in other crisis zones worldwide, such as in war-torn Darfur, Sudan, and elsewhere in more than 70 countries in which MSF is working. †Many of these countries are †in dire need of emergency aid.

MSF wishes to express its gratitude to all private donors who have contributed to MSF's efforts in providing emergency relief assistance in the wake of the Asian tsunami.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 02:26:55 am by supersonic »

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 11:08:42 am »
Supersonic,there is no need to slaughter someone who was merely putting on the site a bit of info which she had percieved to be right.i myself aswell heard that MSF had sufficent funds for the moment and i think all Caroline was trying to suggest was that instead of not giving anything give to one of the other organisations.

We cannot all be correct 100% of the time on everything however if you are going to destroy people who come on the site who may have a bit of info wrong then people will think its not worth the hassle contributing.........that could be a reason why this site has so many hits but very few regular contributers.

In future you could be more helpful by advising or informing of inaccuracies rather than berating

LongTallSally

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 12:48:05 pm »
Okay, so Caroline made a mistake and Supersonic over-reacted, but lets not forget what this thread is all about. If it wasnt for Supersonic's first post giving all us valuable information about how to donate, and subsequent posts updating this critcal information we would all have taken longer to donate money, as we would have to find it out for ourselves. Well done, Supersonic for having the presence of mind to start this thread. Well done, caroline for contributing. Oh, and I almost forgot...well done, shads for encouraging me to make my first posting! :)

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 12:55:57 pm »
Great posting LongTallSally....i couldn't agree more,and welcome to the site

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 12:57:48 pm »
Thanks, Shads. I was only reporting what  I had read in The Times that morning. Maybe I should have looked at the website, but then I was only passing on a bit of information. I just wanted to let others know that at the moment it might be bettter to send specific tsunami donations to other organisations.  I also hope that all of us will contribute - not only know, but also in the long term, when townships and economies -let alone lives- have to be rebuilt.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 01:05:12 pm »
What is good is that the huge amount of generousity from the public not only in the U.K but other countries has made the worldwide governments look at their own contributions and substantially increase them.

No amount of money can ever replaced lost loved ones but hopefully it will give the survivors a better chance to build new lives............so carry on everyone.

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Thanks all for clarifying that!

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 03:56:09 pm »
just recieved an e mail from my boss and he has decided that our company will donate £500,000.
Its good to see the corporate world getting involved

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 01:17:12 am »
For once words fail me as too how a thread like this one can degenerate into bad feelings.
People donating to this disaster expect their donation to go to this disaster.
Strange how MSF can have more money than needed, surely there will never be enough?
regards,
jet

May_Kronedinner

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 01:54:52 am »
I just want to say a big thanks to this site for clarifying the issue about the "oversubscribed" or "closed" rumour concerning the Tsunami appeal.  I have heard something of a similar ilk and hopefully have nipped it in the bud using the info on this site.

I must add that the rumour was being furthered by well-meaning folk who are organising a number of events but this type of rumour does not help anyone.

I think that everyone was rightly affected.  It could have been any of us and was not something anyone could feel was brought upon the victims themselves since it was not a man-made event.  Hopefully though, warning systems can be developed, as well as buildings being rebuilt, but it is impossible to estimate how much funds could ever return life to how it was previously.  We all know it never will be, maps have been rewritten as has the history of families and communities.

The best we can do is show compassion and for any fundraising event it will always be a win-win situation, creating enjoyment out of our unique talents and making our own community enriched, whatever talent you use it will help others in the process.  There's nothing wrong with that.  We shouldn't be discouraged in this act.  Unfortunately rumours like this will never encourage goodwill or help our society.  Thanks again for setting the record straight.

PS. If you do want a fun night out at a modest price why not try the fundraiser that's going on at Wyllyotts on 28 Jan.  Looks like a fun night out for all - and local!

Tags: