Author Topic: Parking outside schools.  (Read 4598 times)

Offline William McCaskie

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Police Community Support Officer
Parking outside schools.
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:56:15 am »
Once again I have received a complaint from a resident in Peplins Way about people on the school run blocking there driveway. If you are asked by a resident not to block there driveway please do not be abusive or ignore there request. I appreciate the school is now shut for the Christmas holidays but would ask when the new term starts for parents to be more considerate when picking up there children. I will ask that residents take the number plate details and I will issue a fixed penalty notice retrospectively for anyone who has been abusive and they will be reported to the school.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline Adrian

• Forum Member
Re: Parking outside schools.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:45:04 am »
I will issue a fixed penalty notice retrospectively.

I wouldn't? As the issuer you need be satisfied there is evidence of an actual obstruction should it ever be contested, also FPNs for obstruction must be issued at the time and can't be given retrospectively. True there are other offences and types of ticket - FPN(D) etc - which can be retrospective but not a 1980 Highways Act offence.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:52:52 pm by Adrian »

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »
Thank you for clarifying that Adrian. As you say there are other offences and types of tickets and I did not specify which ones I could issue or would issue. I usually find speaking with the person is more constructive then an fpn and that would be the last option.
Bill.
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
Bill

As a resident of Peplins I am often affected by inconsiderate parking.

What would you suggest as the best course of action in these instances ? Don't want to tie up Police resources for something that is minor in the grand scheme of things.

I can take photos I guess but how should we draw the problem to your attention ?

Offline William McCaskie

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 09:22:38 am »
Email is the best way to bring things to my attention. I would not recommend standing in the street with cameras as that could be confrontational. Index of offending vehicles is sufficient. 
William McCaskie
Hatfield south
safer neighbourhood team
Hatfield police station
Comet Way
Hatfield AL10 9SJ

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:43 am »
Email is the best way to bring things to my attention. I would not recommend standing in the street with cameras as that could be confrontational. Index of offending vehicles is sufficient. 

If anyone wants to email Bill - or any other member of the forum who has added their email address to their profile - you just have to log on, click on the envelope icon under the person's profile (it looks like this ) and then write your email.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Trent

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:01:14 pm »
Does a PCSO not have to witness and provide evidence of an offence to issue a FPN whether last resort or otherwise? It reads as tho I could tell Bill someone had committed an offence and Bill would issue a ticket on my say so, or have I misunderstood what was written??

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:04:17 pm »
A message from Sergeant Stephen Hynes of the Safer Neighbourhood Team, Neighbourhood Watch, regarding school parking.

I get a lot of complaints about obstruction/parking/traffic jams around school time. These are your children you put at risk if you park illegally. You are an adult, with a driving licence. You must park legally (i.e. not on zig zags or yellow lines) and safely, and not drive fast. Keep your children safe.  Think at school times, do it right please. If there is nowhere to park, you will have to park away and walk. I was asked to send that message out, so I have.The question is, did I need to?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: