Author Topic: Geocaching - local treasure hunt for those who like to get out and about  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Do you know where the local geocaches are? Are you a geocacher? I didn’t know about this treasure hunt craze until I saw a retweet of one my tweets this morning.

So I looked it up, first on Wikipedia.

Geocaching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And then on the offical site where you can download a free search app for Android or IOS to help you find the hidden geocache containers.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site
I am going to try it out when I do one of this site's 50 local walks and see how may are hidden along the way. There seems to be quite a few in our area, as the screen grab of a map from the Geocaching site indicates.

Might be fun if you have young children and want to tempt them to put their boots on and go exploring in the local countryside.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Geocaching - local treasure hunt for those who like to get out and about
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:38 pm »
This geocaching lark isn't as easy as it sounds - even with the app and a map. Totally failed to find three clues on our walk (below) this afternoon.

Walk 13: The Candlestick Round
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline chicken legs

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:52:25 pm »
What happens, David?  Is it a prize for finding the box or is it something you look at or read and replace?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:39 pm »
Bearing in mind I failed miserably today - although we weren't really trying that hard - I think it's a mix of boxes with clues and artefacts that can be replaced, and mysteries with clues. For example, The Mimmshall Mystery seems to be about finding a local location and then taking a photo of yourself there with the landmarks described. See below.

The Mimmshall Mystery

Offline pinchefalise

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:13:04 pm »
We got into this when we were in NZ earlier this year. It's great fun - takes you to places you might not visit otherwise and gets you out walking. We have found places in PB that we never knew existed - and we have lived in BP for almost 40 years! I'd recommend it to anyone  and very good for getting children out (and away from their gadgets) with a purpose. They really enjoy doing it - even teenagers! PM me if you want more info.

Offline pinchefalise

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:29 am »
I had a reply to my previous post but am not sure how I reply to that. Could that person please message me again, preferably with some other means of contact so that I can explain how geocaching works. Thanks

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:30 am »
I had a reply to my previous post but am not sure how I reply to that.

Hi, if the reply you got was via the site's personal message system, here is what you do to retrieve the message and reply to it.

Log in. Go to ‘My Messages’, click on ‘Read your messages’, scroll down, open the message, hit reply, post a response and then hit 'Send message'.

Tags: