Poll

What do you find most useful on the front page of www.brookmans.com?

Latest forum posts
20 (35.1%)
Latest tweets
3 (5.3%)
Access to the Facebook page
2 (3.5%)
Latest train times
8 (14%)
Local weather
7 (12.3%)
Business directory
3 (5.3%)
Classified adverts
7 (12.3%)
Local walks
5 (8.8%)
Something not listed (please add below)
2 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Poll: Which features do you use most on the front page?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Poll: Which features do you use most on the front page?
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:19:02 pm »
I'd like to know which features people access most often from the front page of the site, and whether any features should be added (suggestions below, please). Each forum member has five votes, so please list the five features you find most useful.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Poll: Which features do you use most on the front page?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:01 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback. Would those who ticked the 'Something not listed (please add below)' option please let me know what it is please, either by posting here or sending me an personal message. Thanks
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »
History section

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:45:24 pm »
Thanks to the 11 forum members who have given their feedback on what they find most valuable on the front page. If others could please just spend a few minutes voting for the options (you have five votes each), it will be a great help in making sure the elements you find most useful are in the right places. Thanks David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:01 am »
Thanks again for all the valuable feedback from the poll at the top of the page. With 15 forum members having voted it looks like these are the most valued items on the front page.

- Latest forum post = 15
- Classified adverts = 6
- Latest train times = 4
- Local weather = 3
- Local walks = 3

I've rearranged a few things on the front page to try to reflect this.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
I have changed a few elements on the front page of the site influenced, in part, by the feedback and poll on what features forum users find most useful. At the time of writing, the latest forum posts got 20 votes, train times got 8, the classified adverts 7, weather 7 and walks 5. Other elements scored, too, but not as well.

So the slight rejig is now live, and it includes the latest train times displayed in a  small box with the weather underneath. Thatís because I figured that if people are going out for the train they might like to know what the weather is like. Below that are the classified adverts. The walks stay at the top because James wrote a nice script that pulls in one of the pic and I think it looks nice up there.

I have kept the Twitter updates on the right because, although they polled two votes only, I get the sense that might be because our users are probably not big on Twitter. However, it does give me the chance to retweet news tweeted by others along with local events in a place that is close to the issues being discussed in the forum, and they are often related. The Facebook box with all the smiling faces is now below the latest forum posts because that box, doesnít carry any content updates until you click through.

I have now closed the poll, but a screen grab of the final standings is attached below. Thanks to the 20 forum users who took the trouble to give their feedback. We can review the situation again in the future.

Tags: