Author Topic: BMX Track  (Read 7945 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
BMX Track
« on: May 25, 2002, 07:34:24 pm »
As you might have read elsewhere in the forum, or in the Welwyn Hatfield Times, I am planning on renovating the BMX Track behind the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre.

I went and had a close look at it earlier today with some of my Scouts who I know are interested in using it and who currently use the facilities near Onslow St Audreys school in Hatfield. We've looked at what needs to be done, and also how we can extend it to make it more challenging.

I've had offers from people in the community for help, tools and equipment (although more is always welcome!) - the one thing that would be really useful however is a small jcb digger.

I don't mean one of the massive ones that you see around the place, but a small one that someone like a builder might have. Does anyone have access to one, or know of someone who does? Would they be willing to come and help me for have an hour or so with it? I wouldn't be able to pay anything as it is a community project, but can give you or your company as much publicity in the local press etc that I can!

I'm looking at doing the work over half term sometime - exact dates to be decided depending on the result of some conversations that I'm having this week.

If anyone thinks they would be able to help - in any way, please drop me a line, or if you have any other thoughts or ideas, please leave a message on this discussion board, or give me a ring on (01707) 275771

Thanks,

James
« Last Edit: May 25, 2002, 07:36:47 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
Re: BMX Track
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 02:02:10 am »
Okay....

We will be at the BMX Track in Welham Green sorting it out from 9-4:30pm on Friday and 12-7pm on Saturday. Once again, thank you to everyone who has already offered help and support.

If anyone wants to turn up and help on Friday or Saturday they'd be most welcome. Spades, Forks, Secaturs, Gloves etc would be useful if you have any.

(Yes I know there's a small footy match on Friday afternoon - I've be taking a walkman!)

I'm still looking for a JCB to borrow for half an hour!

Cheers,

James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 04:37:00 pm »
Just added a picture gallery of the new BMX track for those who haven't had a chance to see it.  It is an excellent example of everyone pulling together for the benefit of the community and followed repeated calls in this Forum for improved recreational facilities for the areas young. Well done to all the volunteers.

;)

The story was also covered by the Welwyn Hatfield Times.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2002, 09:58:40 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline crazymonkey

• Opinions on some things
  • Eat bananas
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 08:53:02 pm »
Tried the new BMX track today.  It is really good but some of the bumps are quite hard and you have to keep your pedals level.  Some could be quite dangerous so be careful. Don't try the river jump if you don't have a proper BMX and best not to use the track if you are on your own.  Enjoy it and don't worry too much about hard jumps, you can go round them.  It is great fun.  Thanks to everyone who made it.

:)
Go through with the nasty things then enjoy the good.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2002, 09:19:59 am »
Have any of those who wanted a BMX track tried the newly-renovated one behind the North Mymms Youth and Community Centre?  It would be interesting to hear any comments.
Picture gallery
Story
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

scykotik

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2002, 11:09:10 pm »
every1 who helpd make the trak, well dn, i seen it and its well gd.

now we have 2 wait on wats gona happen with the SK8 PARK

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 11:36:47 pm »
i must say that the bmx track in hatfield near oslows is apauling..

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2002, 11:38:46 pm »
 what was that kid saying about the bumps being too hard. phaleeeeeeeeeeeeez... too hard.... hhhah w :-X hehe..must show jamie..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 11:46:56 pm by admin »

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2002, 11:41:37 pm »
1 last post.. i sound like a grumpy git.. but. nevertheless.. that track with the river jump looks a bit bogged down and i better shut it now

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 11:23:45 am »
... trouble being there's only a finite number of hours in the day.

I was down there last weekend strimming some of the nettles out of the way, and will be returning this Sunday to finish the job off. I am planning on spending a day there over half term trying to iron out some of the bumps in the track to make it smoother, but really need more help and support from other people in the community to maintain it. All offers of help greatly appreciated!

James

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 10:28:48 pm »
half a term sorting it out... riiiiight.. i think.. this is just a suggestion but you should get some bsx builders to build a propler bsx track.. big enough so that little kids on their saracens cant ride over the jumps and destroy them! jus a thought.  :-\
http://www.dirtjumpbiker.com may provide you with some of the information you desire along with http://www.mbuk.com  . so that you can do stuff like this[http://www.dirtjumpbiker.com/stack.asp there!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 02:23:11 am »
I'd love to. Little thing called money gets in the way. If you're willing to help coordinate fundraising for it - great, let's do it.

Otherwise we're stuck to the do it yourself method I'm afraid.

For what it's worth, I don't think the jumps have really suffered much at all in the 4+ months since we built it. Three main problems at the moment are

(i) The track is just way too bumpy
(ii) The jumps aren't really high enough or varied enough
(iii) The stinging nettles keep growing back as fast as I strim them down..

Once again, I'd welcome any help from anyone else to try and sort these problems out.  If people are just going to make suggestions, without being willing to help, well sorry, I'm already over commited as it is.

James

Astra

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2002, 04:18:24 pm »
James

Did you get any response to your previous post asking for help fixing up the BMX track or were you down there on your own,

Astra

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2002, 05:04:57 pm »
Had around 40 people (both teenagers and adults and a few younger kids) turn up and help last time.

Problem I'm having is finding people to do the ongoing maintanence.

James

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2002, 07:11:53 pm »
If anyone is interested, you can (click here) for the news story about the BMX work involving volunteers from the community and (click here) for the picture gallery of the finished work.

Dirt_Jump_Biker

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2002, 11:37:30 pm »
isnt fundraising an option along with council funding possibly? i have connections within Welwyn Hatfield Council if that helps.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 12:55:15 am »
We are going to be doing some maintanence on the bike track beind the Youth and Community Centre over the half term week - main aim being to repair damage that has occured and trying to level the track more.

Any offers of help would be great - please email me (bikes@brookmans.com) for more precise details about when we are doing the work. Last time we had 40+ people over the course of the two days - if we got that level of support again it would be fantastic!

James

Tags: