Author Topic: Recent strimming at the youth and community centre????  (Read 1768 times)

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • Opinions on some things
  • The secret of life is compost.
Recent strimming at the youth and community centre????
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:09:48 am »
Someone has recently been strimming nettles at the Youth and Community Centre.  This kindly intended action has destroyed various things planted in the "shelter" of the nettles and has chopped the tops off two recently planted crab apple trees (succession planting to replace dying and diseased elder trees). 

So I'm really happy that someone else also wants to make this place beautiful , but sad that we are not working together!  I am also worried about the future of much else that is growing / has been planted amongst the nettles.

The experience of the youth club has in any case been that strimming nettles encourages their regrowth - all our "successes" with nettle clearance have depended on pulling them up.

Please PM me so we can work collaboratively?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Recent strimming at the youth and community centre????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:42:44 am »
I wonder if it's the same person who has mutilated the verges in Jonas Way? Haphazardly lopping at everything low and high and then leaving the dying vegetation and broken branches where they fell   >:(

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:11:51 am »
I will check this out but I do know that the parish council often help out but cutting the grass on the field and may have thought stemming was a help. Do come to our meeting on Wednesday and we can try to deal with this. Everyone is trying to help here but it dos seem some closer coordination is needed.

Offline hilarycarlen

• Mother Hen
  • Opinions on some things
  • The secret of life is compost.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:54:28 am »
No, I don't think it was part of any wider action - it's only a little area and I have absolutely no doubt that it was someone trying to progress the work we've been doing.  (We also thought at first that strimming would help, though it proved not to).  And I had deliberately planted the little crab apples and other things where they were obscure amongst the nettles, so they wouldn't be obvious to anyone till they got a lot bigger and a bit more able to look after themselves- I was worried about "mindless vandals" deliberately kicking them over, rather than fellow guerilla-gardeners accidentally strimming them! It hadn't occurred to me that anyone else was as daft as I am and likely to go messing back there.

So whoever it is, it's a friend.  We just need to talk so we know what's there.  Otherwise I'll do the same with something that they plant.

My fault.   

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »
For the future, would it be worth getting some biodegradable sapling/tree guards/shelters. I searched online using the term 'biodegradable tree guards' and there are loads of options and they are not too expensive. Perhaps they would offer some protection from strimmers?  If you search the web for 'strimmer guards' there are other options for 32p each. Just a thought.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: