Author Topic: Brookmans Park commuting money-saving tips wanted  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Brookmans Park commuting money-saving tips wanted
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for saving money on the Brookmans Park commute?  A new local resident wants to know how to reduce train season ticket costs. I know there were some posts in this Transport section of the forum about this but I can't find them.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
Re: Brookmans Park commuting money-saving tips wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »
I think you can save money by buying a season ticket to Hadley Wood and then another one from Hadley Wood (or Oyster from there).  Not sure of the savings though if any.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
You can definitely save money by splitting your ticket if you need to use the underground as well. Not sure there is any such saving if you just have a point to point ticket (e.g. Brookmans Park to Moorgate). I split my ticket at Alexandra Palace so have a Brookmans Park - Alexandra Palace season and a Zone 1-3 travel card on Oyster which works out cheapest for me and allows me to use an oyster card rather than a paper ticket in central london.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:41 pm »
They could walk to and from Potter's Bar.

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »
Isn't there the problem of needing to 'touch out' with the Oyster at the split point, in order to avoid maxing the charge to the capped limit? (Or maybe the max always occurs before the Oyster boundary at Hadley Wood?)

I had a spell where I did this, by diving off the train , 'touching' and jumping back on. This isn't practicable at Hadley Wood, but is at New Barnet, where the touch points are on the platforms. I think this behaviour raised suspicions, because one evening as soon as we left New Barnet, the Revenue Protection team made a bee-line for me. They hid their disappointment well when I produced my Welham Green - New Barnet return ticket.

This is one of two extensions of BorisLand I would welcome to our district, the other being buses. Those were much classier when they were LT Country Area!

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »
Isn't there the problem of needing to 'touch out' with the Oyster at the split point, in order to avoid maxing the charge to the capped limit? (Or maybe the max always occurs before the Oyster boundary at Hadley Wood?)

James answered that in this thread: http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php/topic,2288.msg32762.html#msg32762

Tags: